RIP Captain Don Stewart

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He was a legend and fixture on the island. So many dive sites named for so many ladies by the Capt.

RIP, Bonaire (and lot of other places) would be very different today without his influence.

Last edited:
Sad to read. I never met him but have heard great things about Captain Don. I'm finally heading to Bonaire for the first time next month.

Sad to read about his passing, but on the other hand he lived a very full life that many would trade for so one can not be too sad. That said he certainly put Bonaire on the map.

You did such a great job for the reefs, Captain Don. Loved your night talks and your books. Enjoy your eternal dive!

Captain Don was a very special person..Our Love to Janet, Family and Friends. 200407-3-bonaire-158.jpg

The lady that represents a local organization at the weekly rum punch get together at Habitat told us a few weeks after his passing that the organizers of his memorial service were looking for stories about Capt Don. She wracked her brain and told this one.

"Captain Don once saved me from rape--he changed his mind"!!

Here's another from me. In the 80's, Don visited the Habitat restaurant during dinner each night and talked with the guests. Late in our week there, he came by our table and said, "Haven't been by here, probably wouldn't have anyway"! My sister was soooo mad--and hasn't forgotten to this day! For me though, it's a great memory--of both of'em.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom