Ripping Current on Eagle this week....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tractor Tom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hiya Kids...

Just got back from a four day, 10 dive trip to the upper keys. Made three dives on the Eagle, two on Wednesday morning and one on Thursday afternoon. In each case, the water was FLAT, no real breeze to speak of, but there was a current just RIPPING through the area. Was actually worse on Thursday afternoon, when we looked like flags on the line during our safety stops on the way up. :D Good diving this past week, with mostly calm seas and pretty good vis all up and down the area around Islamorada.

What outfit did you dive with? What is the protocol if you get blown off the wreck at depth? Shoot a saussage on a spool and drift away? What was the plan?

I'm planning on trying the Spiegel Grove again and want to be more prepared. I called a dive off there last summer b/c of the current. We got there and most of the mooring balls were being held underwater by the current! Crazy!!

Funny i dove the eagle once and did a straight drop no current, duane once with no current either, i guess just good luck

Misplaced Priority:
What outfit did you dive with? What is the protocol if you get blown off the wreck at depth? Shoot a saussage on a spool and drift away? What was the plan?

I'm planning on trying the Spiegel Grove again and want to be more prepared. I called a dive off there last summer b/c of the current. We got there and most of the mooring balls were being held underwater by the current! Crazy!!

I just got back Key Largo. We dived the Spiegel, last Saturday. The seas were nearly flat and there was absolutely no noticable current. Last year when we dived her, all the mooring balls were underwater due to the ripping current. Made for a very interesting safety stop.

Tom, sounds like some good diving despite the current. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

deeper thoughts:
Funny i dove the eagle once and did a straight drop no current, duane once with no current either, i guess just good luck
I've had that pleasure myself as well. I've also had the strong current. It's different from day to day, and unpredictable.

My first dive on the Grove was one of those currents. We got down to the wreck, hung on to the side for 10 minutes, looked and each other for a while and ascended.

Later, we got lucky on our first dive on her after she uprighted---perfect dive day where all the stars align...perfect weather, flat seas, no current, and still great viz.

Oh the fickleness of the sea gods and fate.

So, Misplaced--yes, it's good to carry a sausage or even better a larger bag if you get blown off the wreck. Don't know who Tom used, but I'm a fan of BlueWater Divers-no crowds, and Conch Republic.

We spent the week diving with Ocean Quest and had a GREAT time. I've always been treated very well by Pat and her folks and will really miss her if she manages to sell her operation there in Islamorada.

As for protocol, the current was difficult but not impossible, but we would have stayed together and I would have popped my safety sausage if we would have been blown off. Once down on the wreck, the current was hitting the bottom, so we stayed on the 'topside' of the wreck and checked it out pretty good. Found a couple swim throughs and took some photos too.

Jcsgt:
I just got back Key Largo. We dived the Spiegel, last Saturday. The seas were nearly flat and there was absolutely no noticable current. Last year when we dived her, all the mooring balls were underwater due to the ripping current. Made for a very interesting safety stop.

Jc, you lucked out. I dove her on the Friday before(dive number 100 BTW:D ) and we were flags in the wind on descent and even more on ascent. Where did you tie off? We went down on the bow and had a blast! Saw the biggest freakin fish I ever saw! A goliath grouper that nearly filled the opening to one of the man sized hatches in the superstructure. One guy figured ut was in the 350-400 pound range.:14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom