River Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaangel

Reaction score
I went on a dive yesterday in the Savannah River with three others from my LDS. This would be considered a low visibility dive, vis was 6-8ft most of the time. Better at some points. We entered at the marina boat ramp and did a drift dive down river approximate 1 and half miles. After getting past the reeds and grass the bottom was sandy with some grass here and there. Lots of the glass and aluminum type fish noted. As well as a few round black tire fish, maybe "Fishstone" or could have been some "Goodyear Fish".
I did see one fish with gills, of decent size and several tadpole size. One of the divers and his buddy saw an eel and tried to get my buddy and my attention to see it but we were busy checking out the Jon boat sunk upside down. Speaking of buddies my buddy didn't have enough weight and he had to carry a brick he found to help hold him down. We all had to help pull him down at one time or another. Max depth was 20 feet, water temp 72 and I was getting kind of cold by the end in a 3mm suit. All in all a good dive and would like to go again. Maybe vis will be better, I am told it does get better.

Bottoms Up....Bubbles Up!!!
Cindy

Drift dives in rivers are fun....hmmmm...perhaps I need to do a bit of research on the Texas rivers....

Best thing our group found in the San Marcos river was a busted TV/VCR combo with a "Blair Witch Project" tape still in it.

And another diver found in three different places a wallet, student ID and Drivers Lisence of the same fellow. We started wondering if we needed to do a body recover dive.

Glad you had fun Seaangel. It is always nice to get wet, even if conditions aren't the best in the world.

Sea Angel, I have a buddy that lives down near Allendale, Next time you do a dive like that and have an opening for a Swamp Rat let me know. I've been looking at the River when I go down there but between the heavy current I saw and what looked like Vis that would be in inches. I didn't think about it two long. But if you got Vis 5-6' I'm game.

We were in the Tomoka River looking for fossils... The DM on that trip found what he thought was a rather large black tooth on the bottom... turned out to be a gator tail. We still kid him about that... "get any tail lately???"

River dives are always cool, and here in Forida we can find anything from sharks n' rays to crocs n' gators. Too cool!

:p :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom