Riviera Maya/Cenote Pics/Grand Sirenis Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim2386

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this goes here but I just got back from a week vacation staying at the Grand Serenis Riviera Maya. I must say it was WONDERFUL. The buffet always left you stuffed and the reservation specialty restaurants were delicious.
There were three pools, two with wet bars ANNNND a lazy river. I spent most of my time on the latter because....well...how often do you ride a lazy river a year:D?

The ocean is a bit choppy on this side as opposed to when I dove in cozumel last year. Also I guess the only "complaint" if you can call it that was that the beaches on this side tend to be rocky/built on old dead coral. It was quite painful getting out into the ocean from the beach but the view was beautiful! We were treated wonderfully and I wouldn't hesitate to go back. The weather was sunny every day!

Anyway, don't have tons of time but if anyone is thinking about this resort, PM me and I can answer any specific questions, or post them here and I can respond.

Now the important part. I did 6 Cenote dives while I was there. If any of you are in the area...you MUST do these dives. We dove with Blue Caribe Divers run by Luca. They were wonderful. Very patient, had all the gear ready to go. Picked you up early so you were first in the cenotes. We dove with Divemaster Alain. What can I say, he's the best divemaster I've ever dove with. Very knowledgeable, very safe, very patient, and always ready to have a good time! The cenotes were very unique, amazing, vis is 200+ feet, shallow diving so you get 50 minute bottom times with plenty to spare. Wonderful formations, beautiful lighting. I've never seen anything like it in all my diving:) Anyway, here are the best of the best pictures I took. I also have some videos if anyone is interested I can link those too. Please let me know what you think:)

Dos Ojos Barbie line:
Jim Leemhuis's Photos - Cenote Dive #1: Dos Ojos Barbie Line | Facebook

Dos Ojos Bat Cave:
Jim Leemhuis's Photos - Cenote Dive #2: Dos Ojos The Bat Cave | Facebook

Kukulkan
Jim Leemhuis's Photos - Cenote Dive #3: Kukulkan | Facebook

Chac Mool
Jim Leemhuis's Photos - Cenote Dive #4: Chac Mool | Facebook

Chikin Ha
Jim Leemhuis's Photos - Cenote Dive #5: Chikin Ha | Facebook

Taj Mahal
Jim Leemhuis's Photos - Cenote Dive #6: Taj Mahal | Facebook

Probably my two favorites were Chac Mool and Taj Mahal for their mixture of light, formations, haloclines etc. but all of them were beautiful. Dos ojos has some HUUUUGE formations. Just remember, 1" of formation growth = 100 years. Think about that when you see the columns 5' tall. Boggles the mind.

Chac Mool was awesome because you spiral up and up and up into an air filled dome with roots on the ceiling from trees trying to find water. As you spiral up, you see large slabs of rock that have fallen over millions of years with stalactites still attached sitting at very strange angles. Amazing to see.

Anyway, if this is in the wrong spot, I apologize. If you have any questions or comments, please post them and I'll do my best to respond to them ASAP. I also have tons of pictures from the resort if any of you need to see them.

Thanks
Jim

Fun pictures! I'll be in Dos Ojos on Thursday w/ Jason aka playacountryboy.

Can't wait to see all this stuff for myself!

Chac Mool is a great dive. The second room is huge! I'll have to check out the rest of the pics. My next trip will have a LOT more cenotes. They are like a drug, once you have one, you gotta go back for more....:D

Happy Cinco de Mayo!!

Yep the spiraling up to the air dome with the slanted sheets of stalactites is AWESOME:D Chac Mool and Taj Mahal have to be my favorite:) Let me know what you think of the pictures. Any comments/criticisms will help me improve:)

Links are dead so I'm reuploading them:

Barbie Line Cenote
Cenote Dive #1: Dos Ojos Barbie Line | Facebook

Dos Ojos: The Bat Cave Cenote
Cenote Dive #2: Dos Ojos The Bat Cave | Facebook

Kukulkahn Cenote:
Cenote Dive #3: Kukulkan | Facebook

Chac Mool Cenote
Cenote Dive #4: Chac Mool | Facebook

Chikin Ha Cenote
Cenote Dive #5: Chikin Ha | Facebook

Taj Mahal Cenote