Top 3 favorite cenotes near Playa and Tulum, please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ojo

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, I have a chance to take a day for a couple of cenote dives next January. Many years ago, I dove Bat Cave and Dos Ojos twice each, both amazing.
I'd like input from those of you who have dived cenotes of that area a lot, please - what are your top 3 faves?! Thanks!

Dreamgate and Tak Be Ha are my favorites, though they are both dark and blur the line between cavern and cave which is a concern for some. The Pit is also a classic, though IMO only worth it if you have a clear day with plenty of sun.

Zapote and Kin Ha are also amazing if you are ok with a longer drive up to Puerto Morelos.

Cenote Chac Mool is great, 2 dives available there. Depending on your certification level ,The Pit and Angelita are great also. Dont let some dive operators talk you into doing 2 dives at either Taj Mahal or Chikin Ha. They are both great dives, but only 1 dive. The "second dive would just be the same dive but doing the route backwards....

Cenote Chac Mool is great, 2 dives available there. Depending on your certification level ,The Pit and Angelita are great also. Dont let some dive operators talk you into doing 2 dives at either Taj Mahal or Chikin Ha. They are both great dives, but only 1 dive. The "second dive would just be the same dive but doing the route backwards....
Thanks. I'm AOW-cert., and Nitrox, about 100 dives total.
Dreamgate and Tak Be Ha are my favorites, though they are both dark and blur the line between cavern and cave which is a concern for some. The Pit is also a classic, though IMO only worth it if you have a clear day with plenty of sun.

Zapote and Kin Ha are also amazing if you are ok with a longer drive up to Puerto Morelos.
I'm going with someone who has never cenote-dived, and I've never cave-dived, so probably less line-blurring is better. I loved the light that shone through as we traveled through the limestone caverns at whichever site that was. Thanks!

Thanks. I'm AOW-cert., and Nitrox, about 100 dives total.

I'm going with someone who has never cenote-dived, and I've never cave-dived, so probably less line-blurring is better. I loved the light that shone through as we traveled through the limestone caverns at whichever site that was. Thanks!
For colorful, more open dives - I actually really like Casa Cenote. Most of it is not even overhead, plenty of light, and lots of life which is rare for a Cenote. I love the crabs all around, there’s a turtle skeleton, and I’ve even seen a barracuda in there. You might like it, and it is a common shallow followup to either the Pit or Angelita, can’t remember which they tend to pair it with.

Anyways, enjoy!! Most are cool dives, you’ll have fun!

• Thanks
Reactions: ojo
Maravilla if it is a good BRIGHT sunny day at noon can't be beaten! It's a hidden Gem kinda place often you dive alone with your group there. El Pit, Angelita, and Zapote dont come close to the views at Maravilla. I've gone full cave and still make time for atleast 1 dive in Maravilla during my trips down to PDC now.

Zapote is my favorite but it's up by Puerto Morelos.
Angelita, Tajma Ha, Gran cenote

Reactions: ojo
Thanks for all the great input! Looks like I'll be doing the cenote diving alone near Puerto Morelos
en route from Cancun airport/hotel to the ferry to meet dive buddy in Cozumel. So... preferred dive operator for Zapote, Kin Ha and/or Maravilla? And maybe best place to stay for easy a.m. access? Thanks. I love this forum!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom