Riviera Maya Trip Suggestions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeaCO

New
Reaction score
Hey! My girlfriend and I are new to diving (just got our OW a couple of weeks ago at the Homestead Crater in Utah).

We have a trip planned to the Riviera Maya (South of Cancun Proper) on the 16th and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion of where we should dive and who we should dive with. We are staying at the Iberostar Tucan for the week. We are not really planning on this being strictly a "dive" vacation, but would like to dive a couple days just to get our feet wet...pun intended :D

Is it worth it to go over to Cozumel, or should us newbies find the waters near the Riviera interesting enough for our first ocean dive?

I am new to these boards and have enjoyed reading and learning. I feel much more prepared than I would have been otherwise. Thanks in advance for the advice!

mikeaCO :jester:

If the Iberostar is the one in Playa, they are linked to Dressel Dive Club based out of Spain. No complaints with 'em. They also service the Barcelo Maya. I highly recommend the 3 tank dive on Cozumel, they also have snorkelling for those folks who don't scuba. You are picked up in the morning, given paid passage on the ferry (hold on tight!!!), taxis are hired at Coz, you are introduced to the Iberostar Coz and given an all-inclusive bracelet for the day. Check in with Dressel Coz, have breakfast and go! After the fist dive (deep) you come back for lunch, then go out for your 2 tank shallow. This is when the snorkellers go out. Then you are ferried back across back to your hotel. The water off the south west side of Coz is smmmooooth! Most people will admit Cozumel scuba is the best in the area. The water are Playa feature some decent wave. Had an excellent dive off Paamul. They also have night dives, turtle dives, cenote dives (better have good buoyancy control!)
Darn... now I want to go back!!!:eek:ut:

Good info!

Is it recommended to search/surf the web and make plans with the dive shop before the trip, or maybe just check with my LDS and plan everything with the selected dive shop when we get there?

Hi!

We stayed at the Iberostar on Coz. a year ago Oct. Dressel divers was the operation on site. We had a good experience with them. After the first day they grouped us together with others with like experience and let us all dive together the rest of the week. We had a great time at the resort as well.

We stayed in Playa Car a year ago April at the Gala. Loved the resort, but was not at all impressed with the dive operation. The large dive boat was broke that week and it was a scheduling nightmare and some dives were cancelled.

Laine

Oh... www.dresseldivers.com Browsing the site there seems to be an internet prebooking discount... darn never saw it before! You pay by the tanks and any excursions are on top of that. There are many dive operations in both Playa and Coz. Check the rest of the board for input... good luck! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom