Riviera Maya trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yak

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got back from the Riviera Maya. We did 7 ocean dives and 2 cenote dives with Aquanauts/Diablo. Dennis' folks did a great job of accommodating our requests, handling our gear, and helping us have fun. We took the scooters out for a couple of days, too - that was very cool.

We dove the local reefs, the Mama Vina wreck, and the cenotes were Chac Mool and Kulkulkan. The cenotes were busy, lots of divers in the water (now if they could only learn not to shine their lights right in our faces as we approached each other :shakehead:)

We also chartered a rib boat, ripped down the coast and snorkled at Akumal - what a great place. Tons of turtles, giant cuda's, and balls of baitfish. We watched from 5 feet away as cuda took a fish from the baitball swimming around it - talk about lightening fast!

We stayed in a condo on the beach in Puerto Aventuras, so we could walk down the beach to the Aquanauts shop every day.

Now it's back to drysuits and low viz, but my lobster license was waiting in the mailbox when i returned. :eyebrow:

As I sit here, logged onto the Aquanauts network (with Dennis' permission!), I must say it is wonderful to be here.

I did my first dive with Dennis today -- just the two of us doing a couple of reef dives. Nothing spectacular -- just very pleasant drifts for about an hour -- in warm water that allows you to see more than 15 feet.

Tomorrow Dennis is going to be my guide for a couple of cave dives -- I'm quite sure he, or one of his employees, will be guiding me through caves the next couple of days.

I'd heard good things about Dennis and his shop -- SB was right!

We also chartered a rib boat, ripped down the coast and snorkled at Akumal - what a great place. Tons of turtles, giant cuda's, and balls of baitfish. We watched from 5 feet away as cuda took a fish from the baitball swimming around it - talk about lightening fast!

Baracuda's, the sword of the reef! Once you have seen it, few things like it. My first thought was, "Nice shooting". That's what put the fire in me to get certified.

SOunds like fun, what condo did you stay at?

As I sit here, logged onto the Aquanauts network (with Dennis' permission!), I must say it is wonderful to be here.

I did my first dive with Dennis today -- just the two of us doing a couple of reef dives. Nothing spectacular -- just very pleasant drifts for about an hour -- in warm water that allows you to see more than 15 feet.

Tomorrow Dennis is going to be my guide for a couple of cave dives -- I'm quite sure he, or one of his employees, will be guiding me through caves the next couple of days.

I'd heard good things about Dennis and his shop -- SB was right!

Ask him to take the scooters out - they're a blast!

I was in the Riviera Maya in February and have to say I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the diving there. We had always gone to Cozumel.

Was the current ripping when you were there? Coz seemed like nothing compared to what we had during our dives at the RM. When we dove the Mama Vina you had to hold onto the rope to avoid going out with the current. Made for an interesting safety stop though since we alway traveled a good distance. Wondering if the current is always like that there.

I was in the Riviera Maya in February and have to say I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the diving there. We had always gone to Cozumel.

Was the current ripping when you were there? Coz seemed like nothing compared to what we had during our dives at the RM. When we dove the Mama Vina you had to hold onto the rope to avoid going out with the current. Made for an interesting safety stop though since we alway traveled a good distance. Wondering if the current is always like that there.

I had a similar experience the first time I dove it a few years back, but last week the current was fairly mild. Must be a day to day thing.

I haven't had the chance to dive Coz yet, and I have tried believe me. BUt I have dove the Riviera Maya several different times and haven't had too much current. We did have a fair current at Barracuda and Tortugas near PDC, but not much around Puerto Aventuras most of the time. Good to know that it isn't always a lot of current in Coz.

We stay at Chac Hal Al in a one bedroom, I would've liked to try the Villas del Mar, but they only have 2 and 3 bedrooms, looks like a nice place though.

I also dove Chac Mool, I loved it. My camera battery died about 10 mins into the dive so I missed getting a picture of the skylight with the blue water and green trees around it... so beautiful. Can't wait to go back.

Last edited:
Jack,

I am glad you had a good time! Next time down I think its time you start you cavern training working toward full cave.

Peter,

Congratulations on your full cave cert with German and also to Lynne for completing cave 1 with the ZG guys. Our internet connection was busy the week you were down with the others from the Bay Area. I really enjoyed diving with you.

Yak,

I did get a couple of nice pictures of you, I will send them to you.

Cheers,

Dennis

Back
Top Bottom