RMV Spinoff from Accident & Incident Discussion - Northernone - aka Cameron Donaldson

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On gassing is about mixture and depth. Replenishment rate through respiration makes no real difference in the rate that your tissues absorb the gas. You aren't using up and replenishing the nitrogen in a relevant way. Just trying to help illustrate the reason for what Chris said.

It’s about relaxation slow shallow breathing relaxes the mind and calms the body and controls the onset of nitrogen narcosis.
Kind of like yin yoga.

It’s about relaxation slow shallow breathing relaxes the mind and calms the body and controls the onset of nitrogen narcosis.
Do you mean slow deep breathing? Shallow breathing promotes carbon dioxide retention which can cause DCI.

Do you mean slow deep breathing? Shallow breathing promotes carbon dioxide retention which can cause DCI.
No I mean slow shallow breathing, never deep breathing. Deep breathing or over breathing narrows the air ways and reduces oxygen transfer.

I find it highly unlikely he did not have enough gas and did not surface when he noticed he was low or ooa, a diver with any degree of experience would at least atempt a CESA, and with AL80 he would have been bouyant.

He made at least a couple of posts describing his CESA practice runs, so not only "any degree of experience": in this case we're talking about a diver with experience of doing CESA from comparable depths.

I'm reluctant to reply, lest we derail this thread. But from an A&I perspective, gas management for a dive to possibly 150' is an appropriate topic. Therefore breathing technique as it relates to gas management is also relevant.

Do you mean slow deep breathing? Shallow breathing promotes carbon dioxide retention...
No I mean slow shallow breathing, never deep breathing. Deep breathing or over breathing narrows the air ways and reduces oxygen transfer.

A few terms have been put together that don't quite go together, physiologically.
We've got slow, shallow, deep, overbreathing, calm, narcosis, CO2 retention, airways and oxygen transfer, all in three sentences. Let's sort this out, with all due respect to the cumulative experience of the divers above.

Slow is good, up to (and maybe even including) the point of skip breathing. Without rehashing that argument, a slow rate with a hint of a pause at end-inhalation maximizes the time that oxygen is extracted from the alveoli and CO2 is discharged into them.

Calm is good, but shallow is bad. Period. If shallow makes you feel calm then there's a tradeoff happening.
Why is shallow bad? Dead space. You have pulmonary and equipment passages that are used but do not contribute to oxygen/CO2 exchange. The higher the percentage of your breath that you waste on dead space exchange (i.e., shallow small breath of which a fixed volume of dead space is a significant fraction), the more gas from your tank you are going to use. Why? Because to avoid hypoxia and CO2 retention, you must breathe some minimum amount. Any dead space ventilation is on top of that, but still pulls from your tank. From a dead space exhange standpoint, the most efficient technique might be one large breath per minute, large enough to dump all your CO2 and inhale all your next minute's oxygen at once, with long pauses at end-inhalation to allow the transfer to take place. But this is not physically possible. So we need a compromise.

Deep is good, overbreathing is bad. Slow breaths minimize the turbulent flow which is problematic at high gas density. Deep breaths minimize dead space exchange. Overbreathing (specifically, rapid exhalation) can contribute to airway collapse, which, while it doesn't affect oxygen transfer per se, does affect gas transfer, and therefore CO2 retention (and possibly hypoxemia) especially at depth (high gas density).

What are we left with?
A need to minimize dead space ventilation (bigger breath).
A need to minimize wasted ventilation (calm, Zen breathing).
A need to minimize turbulence at high gas density (slow breathing).
A need to maximize gas exchange (some sort of "pause" at end inspiration which won't screw up your buoyancy, but adds time for gas exchange at the alveolar/capillary interface), but which doesn't become skip breathing to the extent that your CO2 climbs from breath to breath.

Relatively Slow, Calm, Relatively Deep, and only what you need. That's how you minimize RMV.

I've found that my RMV is best when I'm busy, but not task saturated. If there's nothing going on, I start thinking about my breathing/buoyancy and it always causes an increase in consumption. My natural, at rest rhythm is infrequent, shallow breaths broken up by the occasional deeper breath. When I'm working on something underwater, that's exactly the rhythm I slip into. People talk about breathing strategies, techniques, etc all the time, but I've learned that the best solution is to get neutral and forget about it or distract myself by focusing on other things (working swim speed, penetration distance, consumption rate, etc problems works for me).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom