Roatan Departure tax - 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adjuster-jd

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is the current departure tax for Roatan for 2008? Last I was there I think it was $32 but just wanted to see if that had changed.

Thanks.

$33.19 gives you a nice souvenir of Lempira to take home cause thats what I got my change in Yesterday...

In 2007, I think the amount varied between $32.00 and $33.19 depending on your final destination. If your departing flight from Roatan was a connecting flight, the tax was $33.19. If your departing flight from Roatan took you to your final destination, the tax was $32.00. At least that is how it was explained to me after I made sure I had EXACTLY $32.00, and they wouldn't let me go until I came up with the additional amount (I was flying to Houston, with a connecting flight to Charlotte). I'm sure it all makes sense to some bureaucrat somewhere.

That's odd - what difference would it make to the hondurans where your final destination was so long as you are leaving honduras.. Strange..

$33.19 gives you a nice souvenir of Lempira to take home cause thats what I got my change in Yesterday...

They did not even bother giving me complete change. I gave them $35. They just gave me back one US dollar without saying anything like "Sorry, we don't have smaller change".

They really should accept credit card for the departure tax, or at least have the flight attendants tell people in every incoming flight that there is a departure tax. Some people may really be caught without the cash in US dollars.

I left 12/22 for a final destination flight to Houston, they charged 33.19..so not sure what the difference is....I would say save 35 pp just to be safe.

use closest exact change as possible - even though they have American dollars to give back to you they give you change in their currency knowing that you can only spend it in the gift shop while you wait to board your plane....

Back
Top Bottom