Roatan divemaster internship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bobsagget

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting on these forums. I am looking into doing a divemaster internship over this summer, however I'm only 18 years old. I know by the course standards there are no issues, but I was kind of worried about the social aspect of it being with all older people. Has anyone done the internship, what's it like? I've heard all the people are pretty nice, but what's your take on my situation?

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting on these forums. I am looking into doing a divemaster internship over this summer, however I'm only 18 years old. I know by the course standards there are no issues, but I was kind of worried about the social aspect of it being with all older people. Has anyone done the internship, what's it like? I've heard all the people are pretty nice, but what's your take on my situation?

My take is do your DM internship in Cozumel with divemasterinetrships and you will fit in perfect. Just look at all the young fun people in Cozumel diving some of the worlds best dive sites while learning to be a PADI Divemaster. https://www.facebook.com/Divemaster.Internships

I did my DM w/Coconut Tree Divers April May last year. On average about 8 DMT on board at a time. Most were 18-25. I was 60 and during my time there(7 weeks) there was one guy 61, and two mid 40's out of about a dozen DMTs. Everyone else were the young ones. The instructions are mostly in the 25-35 range. CTD has a pretty diverse crowd. I am going back next week for three weeks.

.... I'm only 18 years old.... but I was kind of worried about the social aspect of it being with all older people. ....I've heard all the people are pretty nice, but what's your take on my situation?

Yes, most all old people are pretty nice, but some youngsters tell us that we "smell old". I shower fairly regularly and have an Amex Carbon card, so most girls I run into don't seem to notice my age so much.

If you are an 18 year old girl, mixing in should be no issue. If you are an 18 year old young man, possibly you're okay with older women, say 22 or 26? [It's just amazing what you can learn from an old person, they do know a lot about diving and other stuff]

You left out a lot of details.

Depends, does being 18 make you feel like you need to be out every night at a party, or does layed back conversation suit your style??? I am 36 and have been to CCV as a solo traveler, and would without hesitation do DM internship/training with CCV if I weren't doing it with my local diveshop. And anytime someone pops up on a thread from a OP suggesting that you go somewhere else and they happen to be from there, I scratch that business off my list :) hint, hint, scubawithmike

West End Roatan, without a doubt.

Utila tends to be a slightly younger crowd than Roatan, but you won't have any problem fitting in at coconut tree. Forget the cozumel idea, it's a much older crowd and much more expensive, although IMO the diving is better and I love going there. But the bay islands are perfect for what you want, either Utila or Roatan west end.

Bob, long ago(it seems like anyway--latter 90's)) our 19 YO(middle child)moved to Roatan to get his DMs, had 125 dives so got it in 2 weeks with Ray @ Sueno del Mar, 2 months later(still @ 19 YO) got his instructors 'next door' @ Guanaja....Was originally gunna stay on Roatan for 1 semester ie 6 months & moved off the island 3.5 years later as a water sports director for the Wind Star Cruise(ships...)

Reason for Roatan?-we had owned a house there since 1994(sold it in '08) so we went as a family every 5 to 6 months---& he was REAL familiar with the island....If I remember correctly, you'll not have a problem with the age thingy @ all.....good luck in your future endeavors.....He literally 'grew up' on that island---ie from a boy to a man & had a GREAT time while there......

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom