Roatan divemaster internship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would also be wise to pick a place that offers free fun dives for life if you do your DM with them. I'm not sure if Coconut Tree offers this but I know for sure Reef Gliders in West End does and Altons on Utila might also still offer it even though the management of the shop has recently returned to the original owner.

You can do your DM at any dive shop and go party with another dive shop if you want. The most important thing is whoever you go with will actually teach you how to be a Divemaster. I've seen some of the most expensive dive shops turn out Divemasters and Instructors who have no business teaching others how to dive or leading dives.

All of the dive shops I've seen mentioned here do good jobs of teaching and have good Instructors to learn from so picking one that offers the free fun dives for life can save you tens of thousands of dollars over the years and as the cost of living (and diving) continues to go up and up without stopping. It makes me wonder how much a fun dive will cost someone in 15-20 years. The more I think about it the more important that deal becomes.

Food for thought.

I wouldn't be putting to much stock in those dive free for life offers.

I did my DM at a big name Utila dive shop ( not Alton's ) back in 2002 and when I contacted them about taking them up on the offer a few years later, they flat out refused to honour it. So now when I go to Utila, I actually pay more than the cost of the DM course for "fun diving"

Reef Gliders has been doing this for years and years and to this day honors theirs.

What dive shop did you do your DM at, Stout?

Responded via PM as the last time I mentioned this shop and this issue( in 2011 ) on this forum, the whole thread was deleted

So many owners managers and even shops come and go there is no way one should put any faith in anything "lifetime". Heck, my Dacor regulators all had lifetime parts warranty

My wife has been diving for free at Reef Gliders for over 4 years now and just did another one last Saturday.

So, let me revise my statement because you are right, there are a bunch of dive shops that change management and owners that it is hard to find a solid place that will be there in a few years that won't try and screw you out of their commitment to you...at least long enough to get your money out of the deal you made.

Reef Gliders on Roatan has been honoring their promise for over 4 years now and they have no intention of leaving or shutting down or selling.

Because of my experience with them, I would send anyone there for their Divemaster training because they do know how to train a solid DM, to my standards, and because they have honored their commitment for over 4 years now and show no signs of stopping.

And while it is nice and not wanting to take anything away from them but 4 years is not very long, as far as no intentions of stopping? I wish them well but I am pretty sure the majority of businesses when they opened and when things were going OK ever had any intention of closing or selling. A quality instructor and comfortable environment can make a huge difference, if they are not a good fit, the divers "lifetime" of diving may not be vey long.
Because of my experience with them, I would send anyone there for their Divemaster training because they do know how to train a solid DM, to my standards, and because they have honored their commitment
Would you think less of them if they never offered the lifetime dive thing?

I wouldn't be putting to much stock in those dive free for life offers.

I did my DM at a big name Utila dive shop ( not Alton's ) back in 2002 and when I contacted them about taking them up on the offer a few years later, they flat out refused to honour it. So now when I go to Utila, I actually pay more than the cost of the DM course for "fun diving"

That's actually incorrect Stout, we'd honour it and explained the procedure of signing you up each day at 5-6pm when we know which spaces/boats are available the next day, and that you would still be assisting with logistics on each trip. We also asked that you assist an Instructor on a course upon arrival to bring you up to speed with our operational procedures as they evolve and advance over time.

Every year we have Divemasters return and take advantage of what we offer as unlimited diving with our Divemaster program.

you would still be assisting with logistics on each trip. We also asked that you assist an Instructor on a course upon arrival.
LOL, So dive free as long as you work. So Your Dive free for life means someone can work for you for free for life? What if DM is not current or insured? Are they still required to assist in any manner or is the dive free thing no longer valid? If they were "fun" dives for life then there should be no work other than what would be expected of an OW diver. By chance is the complete fun dive for free thing out in writing somewhere ? Was it there in 2002?

LOL, So dive free as long as you work. If they were "fun" dives for life then there should be no work other than what would be expected of an OW diver. By chance is the complete fun dive for free thing out in writing somewhere ? Was it there in 2002?

If helping loading/unloading a boat and issuing equipment is too much to ask in exchange for not paying to go out and dive, then maybe it's better you just stick as a recreational diver!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom