Roatan/FIBR Trip Report - June 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Martha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We used One Pass miles we had accrued for free flights on Continental from Houston to Roatan... what a deal. It was slow going once we arrived and deplaned, but who cares... we’re on island time. A representative from Fantasy Island Beach Resort was there to help with our bags and get us loaded onto their bus. He would’ve been able to get the bags sooner, if we had remembered to put the green tags on them that the resort had sent. Oh well, next time we’ll remember. Since we were traveling during the week (Thurs.), there weren’t too many of us going to FIBR. Once we arrived at check in, we were welcomed with a very refreshing glass of punch. Our room was in building 7, which is located in the middle of the resort. We were happy with our accommodations for the week. Since our diving wouldn’t officially begin until the next day, we went to lunch and then explored the grounds. We were happy to discover the monkeys that call FIBR home. I just loved those monkeys. They brought a smile to my face each and every time I saw them and, of course, we took many, many monkey pictures.
We had our dive orientation the next morning at 8:00 AM. The dive boats would depart at 9:00 AM, 11:00 AM, and 2:30 PM. We usually got to the dive shop a little after it opened at 8:00 AM and got our tanks analyzed and gear set up. That way we missed the crowds. We’d do the first dive and then the boat returned to the dive shop, where we’d switch out tanks for the next dive. Normally, there wasn’t a whole lot of time in between the time the boat returned after the first dive and the next departure, so by the time tanks were switched out, it was time to go again. For two days we dove on the boat, Little Kem, with Darren as our DM and Moses as captain. We were very happy with them both. Unfortunately, on Sunday, when many more people showed up for diving, they shuffled us around and we ended up being placed on the boat, Little Tavito, with Miguel as our DM and Roque as captain. Darren did try to get us back on his boat when he found out we’d been moved, but it didn’t work out because his boat was filled with a group that was traveling together. Too bad for us… we really enjoyed diving with them. We did seventeen dives during the week and these were the sites we visited:
Calvin’s Crack – very nice swim thru, the only low point for me was that there was a menace on the boat that didn’t have a problem destroying the coral to take pictures. His leg actually had blood running down it from injuries he had sustained doing just that. That really disgusted me. Please do not attempt underwater photography if you cannot control your buoyancy.
Carib Place – I was extremely impressed with all the beautiful coral.
Pirate’s Point – another nice dive.
Mary’s Place – another nice swim through.
Forty Foot Point (x2) - my only seahorse sighting of the trip (thanks Darren).
Newman’s Wall – Moses/Darren dropped us off and then we made our way back to the FIBR gazebo and got picked up by the skiff.
Prince Albert Wreck – normally I’m not into wrecks, but this is just teeming with life and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Saw a spotted eagle ray by the airplane.
Doc’s Dive – this was the first dive on Little Tavito and it was a little chaotic because the DM was busy with several brand new divers on the boat. Dan and I just did our own dive plans and had a great time.
Mr. Bud Wreck – not as exciting as the Prince Albert. Dan received a new nickname, after this dive, “Rocket Boy”. He could be an advertisement for Mazda… zoom, zoom!!!
Iron Shore – lots of juvenile fish and you could do safety stop on top of reef. I love that.
Inside Outside – very nice wall dive.
Missing Link – lots of fish at this site.
French Cay Cut – night dive. My favorite part was when we all turned our lights off and saw the bioluminescence of plankton and other critters.
Gold Chain Reef – highlights were a mantis shrimp, a free swimming green moray, and a pipefish. We actually got to see the mantis shrimp strike at something. That was a very cool site to see! Of course, Dan didn’t have his camera on this dive.
Drift dive from Parrot Tree to Pirate’s Point – very peaceful dive. Spotted eagle ray.
French Cay Bank – Miguel (DM) saw a hammerhead, but I wasn’t close enough to see it.

Random thoughts:
Thanks to Ann (parrotheaddiver), I tried a Monkey La La and it was FANTASTIC!!! I had a few more over the course of the week.
We didn’t really have much time for hanging out on the beach, but the few times we did, we really enjoyed it. It will definitely be a big bonus if/when we bring the kids with us.
There was a small earthquake while we were there. I slept right through it, but Dan woke up around the time it took place.
I know a lot of people complain about the food served at all-inclusive resorts, but I always found something tasty to eat, so no complaints about the food whatsoever. I especially enjoyed the ice cream. Melon was my favorite. Mmmm, mmmm good!!!
Frayed extension cords, salt water, and bare feet do not mix.
We turned in early every night and our days usually started out at the crack of dawn. We took a leisurely walk around the island every morning and enjoyed seeing the wild life, taking pictures, and visiting the monkeys. We thoroughly enjoyed our first trip to Roatan and FIBR and we met some really nice people. We will definitely be back again.

Martha, thank you so much for this! It's perfect timing. My wife and I are leaving with a group tomorrow morning for FIBR. It's our first dive trip, and your report has succeeded in upping my excitement level even more than it was when I got up this morning...I've got a feeling I'm not gonna get much work done today, hehe. Thanks again!

Doug

Martha great report...I will be watching for that mantis shrimp and hopefully Kevin will have his camera with him :wink: also Ironshore is one of my favorite dive sites....sounds like you had a great time.....any problem w/sand flies :D

Sue and I will toast you and Dan with a monkey la la when we get there next weekend...:blinking:

Maybe Dan was "Rocket boy" cause he was shocked by the frayed extension cord :rofl3:
leave it to Dan :wink:

I think we were the group that kicked you off of Little Kem, 17 of us were there June 6 - 13. Was a great time, Fantasy Island was great.

The monkeys were fantastic, and enjoyed stealing cups of anything they could grab.

The bugs were mostly non-existent for our group. No one had any problems, and most of us stopped using any kind of repellent after the first few days.

Martha great report...I will be watching for that mantis shrimp and hopefully Kevin will have his camera with him :wink: also Ironshore is one of my favorite dive sites....sounds like you had a great time.....any problem w/sand flies :D

Sue and I will toast you and Dan with a monkey la la when we get there next weekend...:blinking:

Maybe Dan was "Rocket boy" cause he was shocked by the frayed extension cord :rofl3:
leave it to Dan :wink:

We didn't have any problem at all with sand flies or mosquitoes, for that matter. We used 20% Picaridin when we remembered to put it on, but even when we forgot, there really didn't seem to be too many around. I don't know if it's because they spray every morning at FIBR or there just weren't that many around. Either way, I was glad not to be bothered by them. Although, while we were waiting at the airport for our flight home, I did see a woman that was just covered in bites, so who knows.

Definitely have a few monkey la la's for me and I'll have a mango margarita for you when I get to Cozumel. :D

No excuses... "Rocket Boy" came before the the jolt of electricity.

I think we were the group that kicked you off of Little Kem, 17 of us were there June 6 - 13. Was a great time, Fantasy Island was great.

The monkeys were fantastic, and enjoyed stealing cups of anything they could grab.

The bugs were mostly non-existent for our group. No one had any problems, and most of us stopped using any kind of repellent after the first few days.

Boo hoo about getting kicked off Little Kem :depressed: I'm glad your group had a great time though.

Those monkeys sure could be little trouble makers, but I just LOVED them.

Martha, thank you so much for this! It's perfect timing. My wife and I are leaving with a group tomorrow morning for FIBR. It's our first dive trip, and your report has succeeded in upping my excitement level even more than it was when I got up this morning...I've got a feeling I'm not gonna get much work done today, hehe. Thanks again!

Doug

I hope you enjoy Roatan/FIBR as much as we did.

One thing to add is we saw very little to no damage to the reefs from the earthquakes at the sites we dove. We heard some of the other sites were not so lucky but we only saw a few sponges turned over.

--"Rocket Boy"

--"Rocket Boy"

:rofl3: I guess that name is gonna stick from now own....I love it...:D glad y'all had fun...watch for us on the cocoview webcam this time next week we will be headed there woo hoo

Hey, not my fault if they can't keep up. Funny thing is when we go on walks I am more like "Pokey Joe" compared to Martha

Back
Top Bottom