Roatan for Non-Diver??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leaveonlybubbles

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm looking for a cheap place for a week vacation that involves a) diving and b) beach-time.
I'm traveling with a good friend and non-diver. It's a bit of a last hurah before she gets too pregnant to travel. We're very low-stress travelers, don't need much to make us happy--mostly some tasty food, some good coffee someplace, and a beach not overrun by people. She doesn't dive, so she'll mostly be doing the lay on the beach, read a book thing.

Spent a bunch of time on Utila, which has no beach, but never been to Roatan. Would this be a good place for us? Is there enough nice beach to spend a week on? And other things to wander around the island doing... again, nothing high stress, but maybe a hike or two, good walk, things like that.

Are the sand flies too bad to make this fun?

Other suggestions? Our BIGGEST issue is cost and travel time... Roatan's cheap, super cheap diving, and inexpensive food... Other ideas?

We didn't have a problem with sand flies (nice breezes) but didn't actually lie around on the beaches, either. Lots of great things to do, including hiking to the top in the lovely Carambola Reserve. Our travelogue and photos are here if you're interested. Happy trails!

Try Curacao. Fairly east to get to, good food, several nice beaches and a less third world than Roatan.

Roatan isn't know for it's beaches...:popcorn: From what I know the only decent beaches are in West bay (all resorts) and Fantassy island has a decent beach (but the food was not to my standards). There are places with better beaches, but not as cheap (Turks and Caicos is one).

I went to Fantassy island and the beach and resort is nice. But certainly not excellent by my standards. If I had not been diving all the time, I would have been bored there fast. There are some organised activities around the island for non-divers, but nothing that stands out in my book. If all she wants to do is lie on the beach and read, it could be OK (bring some kind of insect repellent for the sand flies). Otherwise...:popcorn:

Honnestly, unless budget is really a factor (you need to save as much as possible), I'd consider other places more beach/ non-diver friendly.
:coffee:

Consider Laguna Beach Resort on Utila. It's apart from the main section of Utila (you have to take a boat to get there. They have a beautiful sandy beach in front of your cabin on the ocean side and the cabins overlook the lagoon from the back porch. It's a very nice place and relatively inexpensive.

Hi. Although I am probably being a bit of a worry-wart, but having had some very unexpected difficulties with my pregnancy part way through it--you may NOT want to take a pregnant friend to a third world country. If something happens, she will not the medical care to the standards she would receive in the US. If I was in Roatan and my situation had occurred there, I likely would have lost the baby, now an obnoxious 2 year old :D Yes, the chance is small, but you never know what can happen. I am not saying don't travel, but you really should think hard about planning a trip to somewhere with less than US standards of healthcare. Maybe choose Hawaii or the Keys instead?

I thought West Bay beach was a fine beach. If your friend snorkels there is some decent snorkeling to be had there. Plenty of eats not too far away at West End Village, too. Spent the last day of a scuba trip on West Bay snorkeling, walking and relaxing -- letting all the nitrogen waft away before our flight the next day. West Bay is a popular spot when the cruise ships are in, so you may want to find out that to avoid crowds. We had the beach practically to ourselves the day I went. We stayed in the West End Village and took a water taxi there -- a fun ride.

See if your friend wants to expose herself to all this just to go to Roatan:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/central-america/215742-inoculations.html#post3305238

Post's 6 & 8 seem to be the pertinent ones.

Post #10 doesn't make sitting on the beach sound so good either.

Consider Curacao. Sunset Waters, the Marriott and Lions Dive have nice beaches. Just depends on whether you want to be in town or not. Shorediving is cheap and you can do a bunch of it. There's also nice beaches at Playa Lagun, Playa Jeremi, Porto Marie, etc. Most also have on-site diveops so you could dive while she suns. I don't recall even seeing a mosquito either.

Back
Top Bottom