Roatan for non-diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kmart4321

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking through numerous threads has convinced me Roatan is an ideal dive destination holiday.
Only prob, I travel with a wife that has a phobia of being in water that she can't stand in. Dont even offer snorkeling or any water related activities, its a no go. Much money has been spent on private lessons, therapy etc with no change.
She is a lover of the sun however and enjoys feeling the heat (as do i) and lazing on a beach. Food is an important consideration due to Irritable Bowel. Shopping is not a big deal, some souvenir knick knacks for kids back home would suffice.
Diving is my primary goal. I want gills by the time I leave, high quality with maximum time in water.
CCV is receiving positive reviews every where I look. What is their beach like (if any)?
What does FIR, AKR and RHR offer in comparison?
Thanks in advance

Prolonging the inevitable one call at a time

AKR supposedly has horses, sea kayaks and there is always the Dolphins just across the way. I have never taken advantage of the hores or the kayaks so I don't know much about them. There is West End to go to that is a 10 min cab ride away for shopping. Don't know about the others. There is a shark dive available and also a dolphin snorkel or a dolphin dive. I have gone on the shark dive and the dolphin snorkel, I had a great time on both. Those come at additional charge.

Been to AKR 3 times with wife who is similar to yours in that she just doesn't like being in the water. She has been with me on every trip.

There isn't any beach to speak of. There is a pool on the key that's pretty nice. Most of the bungalows on the key are either over the water or close to it. My wife would go back again. If possible I would go for the key superior option. They include air conditioning which for me is necessary to be able to sleep. There are also the Hillside bungalows, never stayed in one of them so I don't know much about them, only what the website says. One thing to think about is that on the 3 trips I have made there that most of the people working there were there the first trip and were there on the 3rd 3 years later. The only chamber on the island is located at AKR, there is also a clinic there too.

AKR does 3 single tank dives per day returning to the resort between dives. They also do 2 night dives per week. They say there is a shore dive but I have never done it. IMO the dive op there is top notch with nice boats, great DM's and boat captains. There is usually something going on every evening. Including the fire dancers, Garifuna dancers, a crab race, a limbo contest and a trip around the west end to the key that Anthony's has. I think it is Maya key. Getting to the resort is a breeze and getting back to the airport is too. They will arrange for a zip line and other activities if you ask. There are no televisions or phones in the bungalows, they are "rustic" but quite comfortable. When staying there if a storm blows in, they will move the boats to the otherside of the island and you will not miss any dives. Our last trip there was in August when a hurricane came close by. We only lost 1 day of diving and they moved us to safety.

Food there is good and plentiful. I am sure that if you let them know any dietary needs before you arrive they would be able to meet those needs. All meals there are served at the table with 2 entres offered. Breakfast is cook to order. They have a breakfast bar with cereal, yogurt and other breakfast items too. Chef is a great guy and will be happy to help you out. All the meals are served over on the main Island, the waiters are all efficient and service is good. The bar is a great place to hang out with and meet people. Alcoholic beverages are at an additional charge. If you go to Roatan, have a couple of Salva Vidas for me. There is a 2 minute shuttle boat from there to the key.

That's about all I can think of right now. I have heard good things about CCV and the other places too. Just don't expect much for a beach or a fancy bungalow. I am sure there will be a couple more people that will chime in to answer your questions about the other places. Get ready to slow down and enjoy the pace anywhere on Roatan.

Enjoy your trip no matter which place you choose.

Last edited:
My impression of AKR is that they try to offer a balance between diving and non-diving activities. I have a trip report posted on SB from a couple of years ago if you want to look it up. It's for this reason--that they do not have a dive dive dive mentality--that I would NOT return to AKR. I think CCV would be more to my liking. However, I would wholeheartedly recommended AKR for a group of vacationers of whom some are non-divers. AKR doesn't have sandy beach, but their satellite operation on Maya Key that they will take you to does.

An answer in reference to your title (if it was ending in a "?" mark): No

Cayman, St. Croix, and a dozen other places.

Then you throw this in the mix....
Looking through numerous threads has convinced me Roatan is an ideal dive destination holiday.

Can't argue with that.

Only prob, I travel with a wife that has a phobia of being in water that she can't stand in.

Travel with a different wife, then, it's that simple. You've probably already done a cost benefit ratio between just dumping her and cutting your losses versus sticking it out. We'll assume that since you have come to :sblogo: and couched your question in such a manner that there are some overarching factors that have caused you to decide to keep her. Oky doky then.

What does FIR, AKR and RHR offer in comparison?

CCV has lots of water so shallow she can stand in it, move about, spend the day, not hit the same spot twice in an 8 hour day, only being knee deep in the Ocean. CCV has essentially no beach, although if you squint and try, you can fake it with what they do have. What CCV has that is better than any beach... are bunches of wooden Sun deck platforms. Think: no sand fleas. This is a big plus.

FIBR has certainly the best "beach" of your 4. No comparison. They spray it with DDT and since it is man made, this plus the dredging has ruined their shore dive, but due to it's picturesque setting, it is swamped with cruise shippers twice weekly. FIBR also has acres of shallow water she can stand in.

AKR has got nothing for a beach or shallows.

RHR has a small Sun deck and bit of flat sand, not a beach, but I think I would rather offer that locale to any Sunbunny who had come South with me. As far as snoozing and lounging in the Sun, it is my choice on the list. They also have a very tiny shallow zone in front of their resort.

Food is an important consideration due to Irritable Bowel.

Again, of your 4 choices of which you invite food comparison, I think CCV would be a best bet. You must email and advise and arrange in advance giving very specific instructions. I have seen their kitchen staff do amazing things for very specific dietary needs, but you can't just show up unannounced. The booking agent will give you the resort manager's email.

Comparisons you asked for? As far as dietary hoops, don't think at all of FIBR- ain't happenin. AKR is a well oiled machine that does what they do magnificently in terms of the restaurant, but I'm not anticipating an equal attention to specialty detail or variety. I believe RHR would do whatever they could, but being as far afield as this little gem is, special diets might get repetitive.

Shopping is not a big deal, some souvenir knick knacks for kids back home would suffice.

A good premise to hold and understand for any visit to Roatan. there is really very little to buy on Island.

AKR is located a short cab ride from West End. This is the most "island-esque" shopping that Roatan presents, although that due to this West End area being the focus of cruise ship day visitors, the output volume for actual Honduran/Roatan products was quickly outstripped by demand- alas all you really find here is imported Guatemalan stuff. They do have an on-prem gift shop, but it is mostly a sundries and necessities stock, they really can't compete with the nearby West End.

Actual Roatan products can be found in the main town center of Coxen Hole. This is a daytime destination, stay on the main drag. A lot of heavier objects, especially those carved from wood, that's actual local stuff. That, hammocks, and I really can't imagine what you could find for a child that you left behind to fend for himself in the frozen North of Canada.

CCV brings in a daily selection of local artists that do carvings, jewelry, batik, embroidery, handmade flour sack clothes, all manner of better grade hand crafted stuff. They have a twice weekly visit from the gals that braid hair. Very well stocked gift shop.

RHR is quiet and very removed from any collateral commercial activity.

FIBR's guests that feel the need to shop usually take a rental cab to French Harbor, Coxen Hole, or West End. Their "gift shop" is at best spotty.

m Diving is my primary goal. I want gills by the time I leave, high quality with maximum time in water.
CCV is receiving positive reviews every where I look.

A week in paradise (Sat>Sat) may work out to "5.5 dive days" if you pick the right place. (Sunday>Thursday + 1/2 Friday)

In re CCV? Believe what you are reading. I am old and doddering, but at CCV I manage to bang out 27+ in any given week. Two boat departures with two tanks each at 0830 and 1400. This is 5 dives per day when I do an easy entry night dive (usually 2). I still have time for napping, internet, and eating like a vacationer. I have 2 logged by 11:30, then go back out at 2pm, do my 4th and be dry by 4pm. Dinner at 6:30 then night dive at 8pm. It is pure and simple a dive resort, no excuses for any other shortcomings. Perfect boats, well maintained and designed for this niche environment. Camera holding tanks and camera only areas, brilliant and well lit dive locker area. Naturalist DMs with Rescue Certs.

At AKR, their schedule would hand you an easy day of 3, their advertised shore dive is more imaginary than reality. Very professional dive staff, but the entire resort's economy is laser focused on serving the Cruise Ship visitor (Dolphin Encounter and Divers). This adds a pervasive lilt to all of their operations, just understand that the weeklong visitor is simply not what floats their financial boat. Anyone from any resort can sign up and do the shallow water (or scuba) Dolphin Pester. Their boats are all deep vee cabin cruiser types that have been modded for dive ops. Think Pro Dive type, nice camera rinse tanks and tables. Nice dive locker areas, but with some limited accessibility. Certified DMs

FIBR is best taken at a 3/day pace (it is run as a European style dive schedule) lest you be young, strong and willing to spend most of the day pursuing a goal of 4. Their shore dive can be a bit of a hump. They run single tank boat dives, back and forth. Boats are serviceable but a bit rough in upkeep, primitive barrels for cameras. Rough and dark dive lockers.

RHR is also a 3/day taken at it's best pace. Very small boats with limited "2nd tank" capacity. Shore dive is good but can easily get weathered out. Very consistent dive staff.

Good luck with your dry mermaid.

Last edited:
Hey Doc,
Your "Travel with a different wife" spiel really had me laughing out loud ..had to call in the boss and read it to her and she agreed with your parsing of words as being very funny. We both just got back from Cozumel w/ 12 dives, and I can't say we enjoyed it as much as West Bay last May. My daughter is flying back from CCV tomorrow and I will get the skinny on the rooms, food, etc. That said, I will be posting a new thread asking for specifics on FIBR as a resort and if you have been there recently, I'd appreciate your comments.

Stew Corman from sunny Endicott (NY)

Hey Doc, My daughter is flying back from CCV tomorrow .... That said, I will be posting a new thread asking for specifics on FIBR as a resort and if you have been there recently, I'd appreciate your comments.

She will have seen that the CCV machine designed to give you maximum Nitrogen loading.

Across the channel is FIBR. I last stopped by in September. After you sort through all of the conflicting and often excusitory trip reports (on SB as well as Twit Advisor), I firmly believe the only reason they have the very little business that they do garner is their price structure. With specials of $600 per week, but beware the unpublished fine print. The free booze is universally said to be hard to obtain, the food is... interesting. An example of hidden charges: If you get weathered out and the plane can't pick you up for your return flight, they have charged travelers $250 for additional nights. WiFi is best described as sporadic, limited and slow. Bunches of other stuff including basic room repair issues (AC, window operation, door function) and no consistent hot water.

The shining bright spot at FI is their dive staff, they create magic out of mud.

CCV never discounts. It's always full. Do the math. I just like the product. Other South side AI's worth considering as above include RHR and don't forget BFK (Barefoot). A week at the North side AKR is not a bad thing! Sorry, but I would rather pay full-boat for CCV than take a freebie at FI.

IMNSHO :wink:

Thanks for so much for the "interesting" replies.

The idea of a "different wife", just won't cut it. Way too comfortable with each other at this point and too many years paid into a pension that would have to be split to start over again...

The reality is, she doesn't mind me booking a dive vacation and being in the water for hours every day. She does demand that there are amenities that she will enjoy as well though. Finding a balance is what it is all about.

Cheers

I've enjoyed this thread. Maybe one of these days someone will write an article, 'The Non-Diver's Guide to Diving Destinations.'

I haven't even been to Roatan as yet, so don't take this the wrong way, but what made you focus on it? Just curious as to other destinations. A dive trip with the option for heavy diving coupled with sandy beaches and some stuff to occupy a non-diver seems to amount to what I see Curacao pitched as by some of its fans.

I'd like to know what sort of diving you like to do, if you know yet.

1.) How many dives per day? So far, Bonaire (where I did around 4 shore dives per day, sometimes a night dive at the resort) & Key Largo (where with Rainbow Reef Dive Center I did 2 2-tank trips/day for 20 dives in 5 days) were my big winners. I think Curacao trips average a little lower dive counts if I understood other's input properly, but you could still wrack up a lot. CocoView is said to let you have 2 dives/day, plus 2 drop off dives on the way back, plus you can shore dive (including at night) if so inclined. I find 4 dives/day a load, and adding an evening 5th dive makes for a workout. Then again, I'm mid-40's, chubby & sedentary...

2.) Boat Dives, Shore Dives or Both preferred? You can boat dive about anywhere there's scuba diving. For shore, CocoView yes, but also Bonaire, Curacao, some Grand Cayman, some St. Croix, and there are others.

3.) How Deep? I see you're under 24 dives so far. Are you want to 'push it' and do quite a few deeper dives? In Bonaire I can dive as deep as I wanna go (recreational only, no tech. for me). Or do you prefer to keep to shallower diving while you 'get into it' (in which case Key Largo reefs offer some sweet shallow diving)?

I'm not knocking Roatan at all. Just trying to see how wide you cast your net of possibilities before you settled on it.

Richard.

P.S.: Bonaire is not a sandy beach destination. If you're not picky, there are a limited number of small sand beach options on it. I'm not pushing Bonaire as your best option, just trying to get a sense of what you want to do.

Reactions: Doc
go to anthonyskey.com. The header image - the one showing the small boat leaving from the dock - that's all of the AKR beach...

go to anthonyskey.com. The header image - the one showing the small boat leaving from the dock - that's all of the AKR beach...

Hey, that's not bad at all. Must have been cut-in since I last wandered near that otherwise unique viewing angle. Looks quite beach-like to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom