Roatan in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjach

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well we made our flight reservations for going to Roatan in April. Now we have to decide where to stay. We were at FI last spring and really enjoyed it. We are now looking at Turquoise Bay, Henry Morgan and FI. Now to decide, north side vs south side. In the middle of the action at Henry Morgans or way off at Turquoise Bay. I know what to expect at FI, loved the diving and the resort was good enough for us. With TB off by itself we are thinking more unspoiled reefs? If anyone has stayed at HM or TB could you let me know your opinion, pros or cons.:idk:

Wow, this is a tough one because so much depends upon what you are looking for. April should be a good time to dive the North side, because you don't have the potential problems with the North side you find in the winter months. Haven't been to HM so can't compare, but can tell you that Subway Watersports at Turquoise Bay is a great group of folks who work really hard to make your dive vacation all you want it to be. If you like the macro life like you found on the south side when you were at FI you will generally not experience that on the North side. If you are interested in activities off the resort site, then HM is probably much closer to the "action" of West End.

I'll throw in my two cents.

If you like tons of fish we're told the north side is better. We just returned from a week at FI and were disappointed in the small number of fish. Our boat captain said because the south marine park is only a year old and it was way over fished in the past and hasn't come back yet. North side marine park is much older and therefore more fish.

Hope that helps and doesn't confuse.

We just returned from a week at FI and were disappointed in the small number of fish.

It's all about the number of small fish when you are diving the South side.

A great DM knows where the juveniles and many macro creatures lurk in the lush walls of the South side.

jjach:
In the middle of the action at Henry Morgans (HMR) or way off at Turquoise Bay (TB).

HM is at the "edge" of "the action", being a short trek away from the restaurants and bars of west Bay. HM is an interesting property that was doing the largest portion of its business servicing Europeans. Their dive access and schedule is reflective of that. Do not expect the easy volume of diving that you might find at a dedicated dive resort.

If you finally wend your way through their website to find the dive operation at THE DIVING CENTER - TGI Diving int you will note that they are charging $30 a pop for dives. They offer a curiously un-discounted package of 6 for $180. No pictures of the interiors of boats, none of the operation. Makes you understand, yes? The internet links http://www.tgidiving.com/english/roatan_henrymorgan_book.php to their own dive center have been abandoned.

If you are truly wanting a dive vacation (versus a vacation with some diving), if you liked FI, I would say to return there.

The dive crew at TB has a man I consider to be the sharpest DM on the island. He's the kind of guy that FI guests might enjoy... he'd have them coming home and babbling about all the cool stuff they saw. No doubt, he is leading the way at Turquoise Bay.

Most of the divers who venture from CoCoView (CCV) on "all day trips" to the West/NorthWest, most of them come back fairly unimpressed, preferring the South side, however....

Very few divers ever see what lies around Turquoise Bay which is quite a bit further East along the North coast, just North across the island from CCV... quite a hump by boat.

In the immediate area of TB is Labyrinth and Dolphin's Den, often many people's favorite dives on the North side... among the few who have actually dived them all. The dive op, run by Subway, puts it all together just fine, just remember that this resort has positioned itself to be an upscale vacation experience... it does not offer the access to a heavy dive schedule availability such as FI.

Take a look at TB and you'll see that the resort is managed by HM Resorts International, which also owns Henry Morgan resort itself. The difference here however is that the TB dive-op is currently leased out to Subway. Roatan Dive Shop | Scuba Diving at Turquoise Bay Resort and here are the dive rates: Roatan Diving Rates & Packages | Turquoise Bay Dive & Beach Resort It gets quite noisy around Semana Santa (Easter time) and attracts many younger people with large amounts of money from Central America. Similar to what happens at FI, only TB has a younger crowd. It is ill advised to "mingle".

No matter how you look at it, if you are going to do a lot of diving and want to do this above anything else, you really can not beat an AI resort such as you had with FI. During the April months, you can book TB for $950 (per person, double occupancy), so you'll have to do some serious soul-searching in regards to how much diving you really want to do. Understand also, that there is no shore diving- that's why they have "1 night dive" each week, it's necessarily from a boat, unlike FI where you just fall into the water.

Last edited:
It's all about the number of small fish when you are diving the South side.

A great DM knows where the juveniles and many macro creatures lurk in the lush walls of the South side.]

I guess this the point exactly. Which DM you get can make a dive that much better. I was going to say make or break a dive but that's not true.

Roatan man you seem to know a lot. Does Subway Sports provide towels on the boat? I am leaving tomorrow and have not recieved a reply from them. I just hope they are out diving and providing great customer service rather than ignoring me.

One benefit of HM on West Bay is that you can do some pretty spectacular shore diving right in front of infinity bay. Mandy's eel garden and the west end wall are all accessible and night dives there have a ton of life and a really excellent sandy patch about 25 feet deep to stop and see the String of pearls at the end of your dive. The dive shop at HM is a good shop, I like the people and although I never have stayed at the resort, we rented tanks from HMI (I think that was the name of the Dive Shop) and he made some fast cheap repairs to a leaky gauge for me. He could have charged almost anything and did it for a few bucks. Jose, the young kid that works there as labor even hauled the tanks all the way down the beach for us so we didn't have to.

You can also grab a very cheap water taxi to West End and dive with the shops there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom