Roatan or Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the help! The reason I mentioned Buddy Dive is because everyone recommends them. As it looks right now, there will be only 4 of us going. We want to dive a lot, but in the evenings we want to kick back and enjoy a cocktail and some nice dinner. Would I be wasting money staying at Buddy's? I don't want to have to worry about lodging conditions, unfriendly staff, theft, trucks that are lemons, etc. Is this the best bang for the buck??

You're going to have more opinions on this one than you really want! Everybody has their favorite place. Mine is a little spot called Blachi Koko. There are only five apartments, each with their own private patio, balcony or thatched hut. Check them out on blachikokobonaire.com. It's two doors down from The Carib Inn, the famed Bruce Bowker's lodging/dive shop operation. We got unlimited shore dives from him for a good price. The whole deal couldn't have been set up any better for us. Blachi Koko has never had a theft. We felt very safe and secure there. They're within walking distance of town and close to almost any restaurant you can think of.
Also, they're close to the airport. They've only been open for about a year and a half, so not many people know about it yet. I highly recommend a stay there.

I haven't ever stayed at Buddy's but I've been there for dinner and to the photo shop. People love it, but it didn't appeal to me because of its size. I like an intimate, garden-like feel. I also prefer south of downtown. Of course, to each his own....

Thanks for all the help! The reason I mentioned Buddy Dive is because everyone recommends them. As it looks right now, there will be only 4 of us going. We want to dive a lot, but in the evenings we want to kick back and enjoy a cocktail and some nice dinner. Would I be wasting money staying at Buddy's? I don't want to have to worry about lodging conditions, unfriendly staff, theft, trucks that are lemons, etc. Is this the best bang for the buck??

Bonaire has theft of course but you just have to be smart. Windows down leave nothing in the car. We just got back from a week at Buddys (first time). Their trucks are BRAND new except for a few old ones in service. Ours was great and even had AC. They told us they were 3 months old.

Buddys has theme dinners that we did twice and then a third night we ate at the second on-site restaurant. This was super convenient and let us just kick back on the ocean with drinks. Their pool bar has happy hour with half price drinks!

I can't imagine how Buddy's would be wasting money. Bonaire is not however full of topside life so if you want nighclubs and partying it probably not for you.

Miranda

Buddy's is a great operation, I really like the resort and staff but if bang for the buck is your primary objective you can stay on the island for less money if you are happy not staying on the water. I have stayed at several places on the island over the years and there is not a single place I would not go back to in a minute. By staying off the water you can easily save $200-300 pp.

You really answered your own question when you said, "everyone recommends them." There is a reason for this. Nice rooms, good food, new trucks, and a great dive operation. That is why we are all telling you not to wait to book. You won't find many places that book up several months in advance. And I doubt you will find a better deal for what you will be getting.

But if you're still not sure, then keep doing more research and research and research. Then if you finally decide you want to stay at Buddy's, it will be too late.

BDSC

One really nice thing about staying at a place like Buddy's is that with the truck you are mobile, the island is yours to enjoy. The drive to downtown is very short and there you have lots of dining options. You can stay onsite as it suits you or in a jiffy you are elsewhere. The whole area where you are going to be, other than up and down the coast to dive is more like a big neighborhood.

Be sure to include a few quick dinners so you have time for some night diving. Doing so from the Buddy pier puts you on a wonderful reef with a well lit home base.

If you wake up early you can wander down for a daybreak skin or scuba dive. One morning I was doing a skin-dive on the edge of the drop-off when the fish came roaring up from the depths to greet the day, breathtaking!

Being able to stumble in and out of bed for such pleasures makes waterfront accommodations mandatory for me.

Pete

We will be at Divi this time around ( aug.23-30 ) to try something different. We always stayed at Capt. Dons and always enjoyed it ( the house reef is an excellant dive ). Buddy's is a long walk to town if you want to get groceries for light lunches, Divi is 5 min. on foot. The whole leeward side has marked sites for shore diving and all are great. As mentioned, if you rent a car do not leave anything of value and leave the windows down just in case. I am sure a broken window in Bonaire is very expensive.

Monte

We want to take a week vacation in October to Bonaire or Roatan. I was told that Anthony's resort in Roatan was nice, but Buddy Dive in Bonaire was too. During that time, what is the better place to go? Are the places I listed nice? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Have been to both. Coral spawn is on in Bonaire at this time. Stayed at Buddy Dive. Great place and great diving all over the island. Which is the best place to dive and see good coral and schools of fish from big to small<<<<<Bonaire wins hands down!!! I really thought ROATAN was pretty worthless and on a whole suxed. I won't go back. Maybe good for small things but I do not want to run around the ocean with a magnifying glass looking trying to find things. Stayed at CCV in Roatan. That was like a YMCA camp. Food was so so and so were the rooms,,,plus no pool!! Buddy Dive does have 2 pools. So spend the extra $$ and Dive Bonaire!! Boniare is like Macys and Roatan is like Walmart. Both have good things,

Myself,,,,off to Little Cayman next Sat for a week.

Late to join the conversation...but have to share!!! Have been to Bonaire stayed at Divi Flamingo (1 wk) - superb; and stayed at Golden Reef Inn (2 wks) ... Golden Reef also incredible, great prices and incredible owners, but not on the beach. Have also been to Grand Cayman. Diving in both places was incredible, but the greatest thing about Bonaire is how "user friendly" the shore diving is! Dive when you want, where you want and how long you want...the only thing taken from our great rental truck was my dry bathing suit (I hate sittin in a wet suit in a vehicle!) a comb and my FLIP FLOPS!! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom