Roatan Suggestions please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:blinking:
My wife and I feel that after Grand Cayman, and Ambergris Caye Belize, we have our sights set on Roatan, Honduras.
I'm looking for suggestions such as accommodations, Dive Shops, What area of the island is best for shore snorkeling (for wife and I. She can't dive).
Not necessarily looking for a low budget trip but that would be a plus as we're not wealthy. Possibly at least one wreck dive suggestion for me.
Any experienced Roatan divers with comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

---------- Post added October 9th, 2013 at 07:07 PM ----------

We have been going to Fantasy Island twice a year. Our last trip was in October 2012. We came home to Hurricane Sandy and have not been back since. I just purchased airfare to Roatan thru Delta and plan on booking 2 weeks in February. They are doing renovation and I was told by Nick Palandra that renovations will be complete by Nov 2013. His # is 1 800 676 2826 or email him @ Nick@fantasyislandvacations.com . What I liked about FI was the private beach, great dive boats, snorkeling and the lobby/lounge/bar was beautiful, also a pool. Check it out. Also go to FB and check out Fantasy Island Dive Resort and Marina, Fantasy Island Resort etc. Tell Nick Peggie sent you.

We went to Anthony's key, I don't know if there is any reef snorkeling but there are various dolphin encounters for non-divers.

Hey Mike,

Take a look at Infinity Bay Resort. They have a great onsite dive operator Infinity Divers (Part of same company as TGI Diving). The resort is in West End with fantastic snorkeling right off the beach.

If it interests you, I can arrange the land portion of the trip through our Canadian Suppliers. You will get a much better deal than going directly through the hotel or dive shop. We can also get you free unlimited shore diving in your package, and I can have it priced so that you get the dive and stay pricing for you, but accommodation only for the wife. All inclusive food and drinks too.

Just happen to be a destination we have only this week put the finishing touches to.

Cheers
Bryan

Just wondering, how do you find your location only by internet search and opinions or asking also someone you know?

Hey Mike,

Take a look at Infinity Bay Resort. They have a great onsite dive operator Infinity Divers (Part of same company as TGI Diving). The resort is in West End with fantastic snorkeling right off the beach.

Bryan, I believe you meant to say West Bay.

West End is great - beaches, bars, eateries of all ranges, plethora of dive shops with competitive pricing, reefs channels and walls within 5 minute boat ride or snorkeling range really. It's all there.
We stayed at Seagrape which is a couple hundred yards north of the drag like Orqueiadas, but Splash Inn and others are right in the middle of it all, across the tiny street from beach and boat dock. Almost every hotel has a dive shop or is next door to one.
If somebody knows of a better all-around 'dive town', please let me know.

toddthecat - you were on the wrong end of Roatan (isolated)
you don't know your butt from a shotgun barrel about West End.
and Aztec, New Mexico is the stinkiest armpit town I ever saw in the southwest.

toddthecat - you were on the wrong end of Roatan (isolated)
you don't know your butt from a shotgun barrel about West End.

ToddTheCat took a dive vacation. Other people want a vacation with some diving. To each their own.

Took a tour of Roatan one day of our 10-day stay, and for me there is only one place to be - West End.

Welcome to the Bay Islands Forum. Go read some BlueHouse posts, engage him, that will bring you up to speed.

Mind your butt and that shotgun barrel. You could be in for a rough ride.

....and Aztec, New Mexico is the stinkiest armpit town I ever saw in the southwest.

Did you do a one day tour of New Mexico, too?

Last edited:
Wow.... so much to talk about here.

I have videos and trip report that could help the OP.
http://www.rnrscuba.net/2013_Roatan/2013CoCoView_TripReport.html

Videos: https://vimeo.com/album/2443620

Our last trip to Roatan was in June this year, so my diving experiences and videos are current. HOWEVER, we go to CocoView Resort and do not venture out of the resort at all. There were at least a dozen NON_DIVERS at the resort when we were there, some just snorkelers and some traveling with divers. I never heard ONE person complain about not enough to do.

For your wife, watch my snorkeling video. I am a diver, but I could totally do a trip there for just snorkeling and/or hanging out. The vibe is cool, relaxed, total zen vacation but there are off-resort field trips that can be arranged or a taxi called for you, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

And I live in New Mexico full time and wouldn't live anywhere else. It is an outdoor enthusiests dream. We do summer and winter outdoor adventures (mountain biking, hiking, snow shoeing, etc), and I am a hiking group leader in a local club... so I do 5-10 miles in mountains hiking year round. Don't tell me there is nothing to do.

snorkeling right in front of your room:
[vimeo]69982741[/vimeo]

Back
Top Bottom