Roatan trip report 3-27 to 4-5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrlipis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Travel:
Piece of cake, Continental.. Denver to Houston to Roatan and we landed about 10 minutes late.

Customs was quick as I was one of the first off the plane

Accomodations

I have a mixed bag on this one. We stayed at Bananarama resort on West bay. The bungalow was fine and quaint and overall the resort was clean and the service was very good. Affordability was great. This resort sits on one of the nicest beaches on the island however the resort markets to the cruise ships and they open their resort and beach to a hoard of people. When we returned from our morning dive around noon, the place was over run with cruise boaters. It was difficult to order any food and get served in a timely manner in order to make the 1:30 dive. While I understand them trying to drive cash into the coffers, I think the owners should make a decision on who their customer base is. I heard a lot of grumblings from other guests. As it turned out we would usually go next door to eat our lunch.

Dive op

While I have no complaints to the dive staff themselves, (Marco was our Dm on most of our dives and he was very attentitive) we had a major problem upon arrival. We had booked a package which included 10 dives a piece. I had communicated with the owner (Jamie) that we wanted to dive Thursday in the afternoon after our arrival. We made it to the resort in time but we were informed that there was no room on any of the boats. Ok, I could live with that but when we tried to book our dives for the next morning we were informed that there was no room on those boats for Friday... and Saturday and Sunday weren't looking very good either. WHAT? They figured we had all week to get our 10 dives in and didn't seem too concerned. I explained that those 10 dives would be completed by Monday and I was going to buy 10 more dives.
Needless to say I was a little pissed. I don't know who to blame, management or the dive shop but clearly there needs to be communication on scheduling dives prior to guests arriving.

Sooo, we ended up going nest door to Mayan Divers at the Mayan Princess resort. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I bought 10 dives a piece for me and my wife and we spent the next few days diving with them. Not only is their boat superior to any of the boats next door but we had small groups and were treated very well. We got to do the dives we wanted and at the pace we wanted to dive. Liber and Anja the owners really went out of their way for us. This is a small one boat operation and you can expect really personal service from them. Anja is a great DM, very patient and she found lots of critters to photograph. I prefer a slower pace and would prefer to look at the Macro underwater world. So two thumbs up for Mayan Divers.

On Tuesday we took a taxi to Cocoview with another couple, as I wanted to see the resort and do some shore dives. Very well run operation there. We did a couple of shore dives on the Prince Albert wreck but unfortunately the vis was terrible. The boat sits in an inlet and is effected by tidal flow but I was still glad we made the trip.

We started diving on Wednesday with Bananarama as I had signed up for the rest of the week with them but low and behold the screwed us again. We had two dives on Wed morning and when we showed up for the afternoon dive they said we weren't signed up. I was on vacation and decided it wasn't worth the agony of raising hell, instead I can vent on here. Then to top it off, when we went to sign up for the night dive they wanted my wife to pay 50 bucks to do a night diving course because she didn't have her AOW. They never had a problem taking her to 70 or 80 feet but I guess this is a way to get an extra 50 bucks. She decided against it and did not get a night dive (which was part of our package). In the end we were unable to get all of our dives in but they let me give our remaining dives to a couple we had met there.

The Diving

We got 20 dives in including a trip to Mary's place and another site on that side of the island. Both of those dives were outstanding. A few of the dives we did on the northwest side were not in very good shape. I thought the coral and reefs looked dead and very off color, although there was a thriving fish population on them. Overall I did not think there was an abundance of fish but we did see a lot of turtles and Moray eels which are some of my favorites. I did enjoy the west end wall and Pablos place which is at the tip of the Island. Those were some of our favorite dive spots.
We enjoyed our trip, loved the people down there and will return sometime in the future. It certainly is affordable.

Time to plan the next trip.

Bruce

Thanks for your write-up. Your account should be valuable to anyone visiting West Bay.

Do you remember the names of any of the dive sites where you noted poor reefs and.or fishes?

I was suprised at how good the diving is at the west end since its the more populated area.

I would not have returned to the first op after the screw up. Life's too short.

I have dove COCO View's front yard and not be able to see my hand in front of my face and I have dove it with wonderful vis.

It's all luck of the draw!

Do you remember the names of any of the dive sites where you noted poor reefs and.or fishes?

I just checked my log book and the first spot that I noted I do not have the name of the site but it was in the same general area of "The Aquarium" which I noted as not so healthy. We did however see 4 turtles on that dive, including 2 greens.

I would not have returned to the first op after the screw up. Life's too short.

When they already have your money in their pocket... guess who is in the drivers seat?

Oh yeah, one more thing I forgot to mention... Not a life vest to be found.

Bruce

Well, I guess I'm the best person to respond to Bruce's recent post as manager of Bananarama.
Firstly I'd like to say I'm sorry he felt unhappy with the management at the dive center, it is a rare complaint but he did highlight some problems I'd like to explain as well as some things unfortunately forgotten or misunderstood.

Bananarama is located in the center of West Bay beach, its a beautiful setting that is popular with families, couples and divers. Our aim in the dive center is to provide enjoyable, safe diving on both sides of Roatan, with knowledgable and attentive divemasters and instructors that want our clients to have an excellent diving experience with us.

The divers were greeted on the day of arrival, we had them on the board for the following day. The 2 days in question we had limited space available, and they suggested they may enjoy their diving elsewhere for a couple of days due to the number of 'newer' divers we had and the inability to guarantee specific dive sites during those days. I agreed (it seemed reasonable, I thought) and having not had them signed up for the arriving day afternoon dive I felt honesty was the best policy. It's how I manage the dive center, with alittle sarcasum too! Also I wonder how many dive centers would let unused pre paid dives be given to other divers in the resort?

Our fast, shaded, fully equipped dive skiffs are the envy of many dive centers and our policy of no more than 8 divers per boat keeps them comfortable and spacious. Mayan Divers does have a great new boat and I'm happy to send divers to them when we are full, better than squeezing them onto ours. Our larger 38ft dive boat takes a maximum of 12 divers and 2 divemasters.

Bananarama is not an all inclusive resort and is open to the general public, for diving and on the beachfront there is a bar/restaurant that has become popular with people outside the resort. There's no denying Roatan is on the cruise ship map and in the 7 years I've been living here its increased annually, I'm not so thrilled about it either.

There is one thing I would like to make clear however, I do not want anyone diving with us to leave having had a negative experience, to feel 'screwed' or cheated is not acceptable. Regarding 'taking' competant divers that dive with a rescue diver/dmt buddy to 70-80ft in the clear, comfortable diving conditions of Roatan I make no excuses, 100ft still requires the standard deep dive module of the advanced course or proof of numerous deep dives. If your taking your first night dive we feel its appropriate to read the night dive module of the advanced course, cost is an additional $5 or $10 with gear, if you've done half a dozen night dives we'll suggest it as an option, don't think anybody is getting screwed here?

Perhaps its a lesson for serious divers, not staying at an all inclusive during high season, to discuss expectations with a dive center regards number of dives wanted, dive site preferences etc.

Mal

Mal,

I made myself clear when I said I didn't want to beat up your staff as I liked you and your staff and I complimented Marco. The fact remains that I showed up on Thursday and other than the afternoon dive on Friday you were unable to accommodate us for diving until Monday. I made reservations 2 months in advance and had a number of correspondences with Jamie and at no time was it ever suggested that I sign up with the dive shop prior to arriving. (That is, if that would have been the solution).

It is factual that Martin would not allow my wife on the night dive without taking the course at a cost of $50.00. That pissed me off. I was not angry that my wife was allowed to dive to 70 or 80 feet, my point was, from the "PADI" point of view, her OW card says she is limited to 60' and I wanted to put that into perspective.

I am sorry if you did not like "screwed" but after we signed up for our remaining 9 dives somehow we were left off the afternoon dive on Wednesday, which meant we were going to come up short on our dives, as we were only able to dive through Friday. The fact that you allowed us to give our friends the unused dives wasn't a bonus for us or any loss to you.

With all that said I stand on my original post. As a traveler, I want to have a forum such as this to help with my travel decisions and at the same time I want to share my experiences with other divers. I complimented your staff and the resort's staff where it was appropriate and I told it like it was. BTW, I never gave any Kudos to Danny (boat captain) as he did a great job. I believe I tipped your staff appropriately. I tipped the maids and restaurant staff appropriately and thought everyone there was very friendly.
In summary, for a vacationer to spend thousands of dollars on a dive trip and to show up at the resort and not be able to get on the boats, is unacceptable and I'm sorry that you don't understand that but that is exactly what happened. I'm glad you read my review and hope that what ever procedural changes need to be made, are addressed between your dive shop and reservations. Your a good guy Mal and need not take my criticism personally but my assessment was accurate.

Bruce

Thanks for your comments, your right, this forum is ideal for sharing experiences but also for helping dive centers/operators improve their services to their divers.

All the best with your diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom