Roatan vs. Utila vs. Guanaja

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaHowie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
In the planning stages of a trip to the Bay Islands. I am curious what everyones take is on the three islands. From what I have seen online, Utila seems to be the nicest of the three, but it is also the most expensive. Now, I could be wrong on that, but that's what I have gathered.

What I would like to know is, which island is the best value? I don't mind paying a little extra to go to Utila if the diving and the island is head and shoulders above the other two.

I would like to stay at an all-inclusive dive resort. Can anyone give me some recommendation to take take a look at?

However, I am going with some friends and they would also like to look into renting a house and then just getting set up with a dive master. If we do that, who is a good dive group to get hooked up with? I like it when the groups on the boat are a little smaller.

I think that is about it for now. I am sure I will have more questions as the process unfolds. Thanks in advance for the info.

.... seems to be the nicest of the three, but it is also the most expensive.... Now, I could be wrong on that, but that's what I have gathered. ....which island is the best value? I don't mind paying a little extra to go to _____ if the diving and the island is head and shoulders above the other two.

"Nicest" is a very subjective word. Most people prefer the ambiance of Roatan over Utila and Guanaja. Each has it's plusses. Experiences and actual desires may vary.

I would like to stay at an all-inclusive dive resort. Can anyone give me some recommendation to take take a look at?

You can't swing a dead cat on SCUBABoard in this forum without getting 300 hits on topic with a quick :search:

All Inclusives are all you can get on Guanaja, otherwise, on Roatan or Utila, if you really want more than 2 dives a day, there is a good argument that an AI is your only option, due to economic and time restraints.

If.

However, I am going with some friends and they would also like to look into renting a house and then just getting set up with a dive master. If we do that, who is a good dive group to get hooked up with? I like it when the groups on the boat are a little smaller.

I think "getting set up with a DM" will mean that you might wish to be nearby to a day-dive operation. Or, does it mean that you will accept living in a more remote beach-house and you are willing to hire-out your own private DM and small boat from some such day-dive op?

What are you really looking for? And... what time of year?

I agree with Roatanman - there are dozens and dozens of trip reports right here on this Forum for Utila and Roatan. All you need to do is read and get all your answers.... then you can ask us more specific questions.
(I have never seen a trip report for Guanaja here though, friends in CO went there about 9 yrs ago and they weren't overly impressed, said diving was okay but nothing special, but that was quite awhile ago...)

robin

I've lived on both Utila and Roatan but I have no idea what you are asking. What have you heard is the nicest on Utila? I suspect AI's on Utila are slightly more expensive but diving itself is usually less expensive as is house rental. It all depends on what you are after.

The Utila Aggressor sometimes get you to all 3 locations.

As the others have suggested, do a little more research and then ask your questions again.

I would never have said Utila is nicer than Roatán, though we've loved both. I find I recommend Roatán more because there's more to do there, nicer beaches, easier access to snorkeling.

We loved Guanaja, too - SHAME ON ME for not posting a trip report! I was sure I had but can't find it. Here's a link to my flickr photo page for our 2008 Guanaja/Utila trip and there's a link to my full travelogue there from the Thorntree Forum. I've pasted the Bo's Island House/Diving part below; we moved on to Graham's Place just south of Guanaja after that and then spent a week on Utila before flying home.

I found the diving to be absolutely incredible on the north of Guanaja. I must admit I'm pretty happy to be in the water anywhere and have enjoyed diving from both Utila and Roatán, but Guanaja is amazing - in a league with Glover's Atoll in Belize - and I think I'd give it an edge for so many gorgeous and really varied sites within 5 minutes of the dock. It's more difficult to get to than Roatán or Utila and your lodging options are limited.

If you're interested in a really great hotel on Utila consider the Lighthouse. It's very clean and a great value - we paid $300/week in 2008 for a room with 2 queen beds, a kitchenette, and a view of the sunsets); amenitities include ac and cable tv. We love the location, in a quieter section of town by the bridge leading to the old airport so close to great snorkeling. It's just a few doors down from my favorite dive shop there, Alton's, and nearly across from our favorite restaurant, RJ's Barbecue. We like to shop for fresh fruit and baked goods and prepare some of our own meals so it was perfect for us. You can read more by following the flickr link above.

Happy trails!

Guanaja is mountainous and very green in spite of Hurricane Mitch’s devastation 10 years ago. It has filled in with good diversity and is really lovely, though I wish I’d seen it before Mitch. Transportation is by boat which adds an interesting dynamic. The vast majority of the population lives in little Bonacca town which occupies a tiny caye just off the south coast near the canal that runs alongside the runway and splits the island in 2. It’s a bit rough around the edges and the only place you’ll find stores and banks (no ATMs). Islanders were friendly and fascinating to watch and listen to - culturally and lingually diverse. Lodging is available there and at a few small lodges elsewhere around the island, including our choice, Bo Bush’s Island House islandhouse_guanaja@hotmail.com, currently no phone service ($70/day per person including meals or $650/week with 2 boat dives/day and airport runs).

I had confirmed our arrival time a few days ahead but they didn’t show up at the dock by the airstrip. After waiting an hour or so we were able to scrub up a boat ride, paying more than the going rate since our options were limited ($35). Turns out Bo’s daughter Stephany remembered we were coming on Monday, August 4th but thought it was still Sunday - welcome to island time. We had a nice room with lots of wood, 2 beds, and a private bathroom with hot water - half of a duplex cabin with a big screened porch. Construction next to it was irritating a few times but overall we were very comfortable there. We ate our meals in the over-the-water restaurant/bar with Bo and the handyman, Bob - both good company with stories to tell. Bo’s wife and mother-in-law cooked our meals (good, lots of seafood), and daughter Stephany managed the internet and business side of things. Bo’s youngest daughter and his granddaughter were entertaining, too. We were the only guests for much of the week we were there though the population bloomed on Sunday when expats and locals gathered to eat and drink and an aggressive soccer game dominated the grassy area between our cabin and the beach.

The diving was really fabulous, no 2 sites alike, all within a 5 minute boat ride: caves and swim throughs and pinnacles, great diversity of flora and fauna, lots of turtles, really dazzling. Bo was an amazing person to dive with - he practically has gills after many thousands of dives. I loved every site but my favorites were Paradise, The Cut, and Diane’s Reef; special thanks to the millions of minnows that spooled around and around us in a cave, the huge schools of chubs and Atlantic spadefish that allowed us to join their schools, and the turtles that paralleled us as we explored a shallow reef. Snorkeling from shore was almost as good as the diving so I spent nearly as many waking hours in the water as out. Mike stalked up and down the beach looking for bonefish and managed to find and land a few, so we were both happy. I really recommend Island House if you are looking for a laid-back island vacation and don’t need a lot of entertainment or fancy amenities.

Love to have you stay with us. We're certainly not the cheapest, but we might fit what you are looking for.

Http://www.utilarental.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom