Roatan, what not to take?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stormingheaven

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
3 and a half weeks to go before I leave for Fantasy Island. This is my first time and I was wondering if there is anything that I should not take. I will have my prescription medications and a couple of epinephrine pens with me but is there anything that you all can think of that might be a no no or just not needed?

A pony bottle, non-diving spouse, large denomination bills.

Last edited:
The rule of thumb is pack your clothing and put back half. Bring more money than you think you will need. FIBR seems laid back like Coco View, so wear the same swim suit and cover up to b'fast & lunch until you offend yourself or your buddies with the smell. Unless we are doing a night dive, we will wear t-shirt & shorts to dinner. It ain't a fashion show at either resort.

DO bring plenty of bug spray, the no-see-ums and mosquitoes are bad. Also anti-itch stuff, as you WILL get bit, no matter what.

so wear the same swim suit and cover up to b'fast & lunch until you offend yourself or your buddies with the smell.

The truth: When everyone is using the same perfume :monkey: it seems as though no one is wearing any. :monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey:

Don't bother with bringing a spear gun!

Or they can bring one, panic and drop it, and I get to find the thing (loaded, no less) and turn it in.

Don't bring snowshoes or worries.

Hope to return soon...

k8brandt
DO bring plenty of bug spray, the no-see-ums and mosquitoes are bad. Also anti-itch stuff, as you WILL get bit, no matter what.

Actually, bug spray was about the only thing we brought and didn't use! I didn't spend much time on the beach, so only 3 bites of no see ums all week and one squito. I think FIBR was fogging for bugs while we were there the first week of Feb.

det

I just got back from FIBR. I wore only about 1/2 the clothes I brought. I had several swimsuits and wore them most of the time. Since they have all the meals up in the dining room now (used to have lunch out in the pavilion on plastic chairs last year) you need to wear something dry to lunch so you may need to change before going to lunch. I just put on a dry swimsuit before lunch and then changed back to the wet one before going back for the afternoon dive. You definitely won't need any fancy clothes.

I brought lots of bug spray and hardly used any. They do fog every morning. I didnt go out much in the evening so that helped. Only got a couple bites. This doesn't mean you don't need bug spray, maybe just not multiple bottles.

A couple people in my group brought pony bottles, but I didnt see any real need for that. If you want to dive solo (which you are not supposed to do there) then I guess it could be handy.

You can leave your drysuit at home - the water was a consistent 77 degrees there.

Bring your camera, so you can keep remembering just how much fun you had!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the great room at dusk the mosquitos got pretty bad when we were there last January. There a couple of wrecks where you should wear gloves, but they do not allow gloves when diving on the reefs.

Anyone used nitrox when there? Do you need your own oxygen analyzer? or do they have a house one you can use?

I'll be going in May.

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom