Rockin day with Makena Coast Charters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howard4113

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What a great day on Maui today. Dove with Makena Coast Charters and had a ton of fun in the sun. Molokini was great as usual - about an hour with the usual suspects . The bluefins seemed less shy than usual and a peacock gouper almost posed for me; very out of character. We did a SI at the crater, snorkling with a friendly manta. Then we were off to red hill for a relaxing drift dive. We saw several mantis shrimp and lots of fountain (cleaner) shrimp. A tiger moray seemed to be dozing motionless on on the reef - I had to check to see if he had expired (he was very alive after all!). Towards the end of the dive Daniel pointed out a leaf scorpionfish and a devil scorpionfish. Very cool characters and hats off to the Makena Coast guys for a great day!

M
DSC_5747.JPG

DSC_5749.jpg

DSC_5753.jpg

DSC_5758.jpg

DSC_5761.jpg

DSC_5766.jpg

DSC_5767.jpg

DSC_5769.jpg

DSC_5771.jpg

DSC_5794.jpg

DSC_5803.jpg

DSC_5809.jpg

DSC_5815.jpg

DSC_5817.jpg

DSC_5824.jpg

very nice pics Mark - Is that Makena's boat in the one shot? Looks like a 6 pack, not too many of them on the island...

Were you going to try identifying the manta you saw? Manta Pacific Research Foundation

Thanks for sharing - Tim

Looks like a Force. Their website says it's a 35 footer. The Force 35s can be certified for 15-18 divers if they are configured for it. The Force 35 is a pretty good boat for up to about 12, over that it can be a bit tight, if they're running it only as a 6 pack it'd be a great boat.

Nice tiger moray.

Steve

Looks like a Force. Their website says it's a 35 footer. The Force 35s can be certified for 15-18 divers if they are configured for it. The Force 35 is a pretty good boat for up to about 12, over that it can be a bit tight, if they're running it only as a 6 pack it'd be a great boat.

Nice tiger moray.

Steve
It's certified for 15 divers (incl. DM's) + 1 snorkeler. They will take 13 divers with 2 DM's but often try and keep that lower.

Love the mantas Mark. Any story behind the very shallow Manta? Cool Pics!

Sean

Sean,
That manta was swimming on the surface when we arrived. We didn't see him close to the boat when we entered the water - but he was about 150' astern after we exited. There was another group of divers still down, so I hopped in with my camera and swam over to him. Another dive boat came by and deposited a few folks to see too and I think that he got disturbed and left. Anyway by then I'd taken a few shots and was more concerned about not holding up the divers on my boat as I was several hundred yards away and had a long swim back!
Mark

did the manta come check you out before the others got in the water? the one we ran into (at the trench) was very curious and followed us. it was so awesome. very cool that it was on the surface for ya

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom