Rockport Dive Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a newly certified diver and am looking for a few places to dive in the Rockport, MA area. I was hoping to find a few easy locations with a 40ft max depth and was wondering what people had to say about Pebble Beach, Back Beach (I was certified here), and Folly Cove. Just looking to get more experience and wanted a few suggestions.... Thanks in advance!

BradK

Hi, Congrats. You need to check with Cape Ann Divers. Thay have a map of that entire area and that is a great location to Dive. All the sites a good, some a little better, depends what you like.
Good luck,

Cape Ann Divers has a pretty decent description of some of the shore sites on their website. It is also worth a stop there on your way to check out the local conditions. Some people will give them an update on the current conditions around Cape Ann.

Pebble Beach is a nice dive but the entry and exit make it challanging. The ankle breaker sized rocks combined with the surf can send you on your a$$ in no time. Because of this, I will rarely dive here anymore. Back beach is a good location to get familiar with your weighting, buoyancy and the local diving but I've found it to be a little boring when there are great sites that are also easy in/out. One of my favorite sites is Old Garden Beach, it is great underwater and the entry and exit is wicked easy, just walk down the ramp and across a small beach. Max depth is only 35-40 feet IIRC so it's nice for beginners. Another one of my favorite sites is Folly Cove, although the entrance can be a little tough if it isn't high tide. It is a nice sloping bottom however when you get out to around the points it can be around 60ish feet deep.

If you have any more questions ask away. Also, if you are in need of a buddy post over in the Lobsta Divahs section and you shouldn't have a problem finding a buddy. I know that I've met some of my regular buddies over there.

Stay safe and good diving!

Lewis thanks for the insight on Pebble Beach. I will check out Old Garden Beach and Folly Cove. I am looking forward to seeing all of the sites as everything is new to me...

I forgot to mention it, but there are a lot of dive clubs in Mass that dive Cape Ann on a regular basis (usually Saturday or Sunday mornings). Depending on where you are located that would be a great way to find buddies as well.

I forgot to mention it, but there are a lot of dive clubs in Mass that dive Cape Ann on a regular basis (usually Saturday or Sunday mornings). Depending on where you are located that would be a great way to find buddies as well.

Echoing: what Lewis is saying here. look into Northshore Frogmans dive club. great bunch of people? Really fun and friendly. Cape Ann divers has guided shore dives on Sat& Sun also.Stop in the store or call dfirst , they will give you more info.

These guys are giving you good advice. You want to dive with people that know the area. The waters around NE are tricky going with knowledgeable people is an added safety factor too. Get yourself hooked up. Good Diving.

We dove recently at Stage Fort Park. The little beach that looks like a horseshoe. Pretty good dive and plenty to see. After 6pm head over to Niles Beach shallow easy entry parking right in front and also makes a good night dive. Others have said Old Garden, Back Beach and Pebble. Can't go wrong with anyof them.
As far as ankle turners. Bring an old fishing pole broken off or a ski pole. Works great. Tie a two pound weight and leave it under water for the return.

I am a newly certified diver and am looking for a few places to dive in the Rockport, MA area. I was hoping to find a few easy locations with a 40ft max depth and was wondering what people had to say about Pebble Beach, Back Beach (I was certified here), and Folly Cove. Just looking to get more experience and wanted a few suggestions.... Thanks in advance!

BradK

Brad, Also pick up DIVING CAPE ANN AND BOSTON'S NORTH SHORE BOOK BY DONALD W. WHITEHEAD.I purchased mine from Cape Ann Divers. hope this helps

I had my refresher at back beach last month and dove pebble beach this past weekend. As a new diver(though long ago certified), the difference between back beach and pebble beach was significant. I think the off-shore storms had a lot to do with it, but as mentioned by others the entrance/exit can be an adventure. I learned a lot about relying on the compass to know where I was, and the importance of keeping an eye on your buddy.

When we were entering pebble beach, a diver was exiting, and described the scene down below as 'being in a sandblaster'...and he was spot on. Though the conditions were less than desirable, I liked experiencing the difference compared to Back Beach.

Back
Top Bottom