Rockport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjones9527:
Yeah, I would say doubles is mandatory. But thats just me.
The more polite of us don't go around mandating what is required. "usually doubles" leaves room for rebreather divers, sidemount, large single back tanks with stages, etc.

I know you pretend not to see those other non-GUE options, but fortunately for the rest of us, you guys with your heads stuck down that hole can't mandate what other divers do.

DeepBound:
You shouldnt just move lines around like that without warning people. That line directed me to the wrong side of the customs dock after the rockport wall drift. The old line was just fine, going straight from the entry point at the northeast corner of the customs building.

Hello Neil,

I see you troll here on SB the same way you do on OD. You do seem to have a more agressive attitiude in your posts here though. Try to keep in mind that you are still a new diver and there are some of us who have been working for awile on these sites to keep them open for everyone.

When we got there today the line was completely pulled out along with our stakes going up the hill, we did not put in the line going to the ABW docks and ours has always gone to the northwest corner of the customs dock as this is where the open water around the boats will be once the ice forms this winter.

It was our line that was moved, not the other way around. We put that line in 6 years ago and it has been there ever since with us maintaining it every year throughout the winter season as we are there almost every weekend through the winter. We do this voluntarily and out of pocket and only ask that people don't cut or move it around which is why we used parachute cord and pressure treated stakes to keep the line in place and a few inches off the bottom. Before we installed that line we were doing this dive from shore and still hitting the wreck every time without a line which shows that a little awareness of your surroundings and navigational skill (both compass nav and natural nav) go a long way.

You should learn to properly mark the lines that you are travelling on as this is clearly a T and should have had a non-directional marker dropped to indicate your return route if you were unsure of your returning direction. If you don't have the skills to navigate a line correctly, don't rely on them.

After the T, both lines run along the bottom of the little wall in 50' and are less than 100' from the edge of Rockport. If surfacing on the wrong side of the dock is such a problem for you, maybe you should consider a safer sport. Chess is likely a good one.

Kevin Ripley:
It was our line... We put that line in 6 years ago and it has been there ever since with us maintaining it every year throughout the winter season.

Before we installed that line we were still doing this dive from shore and hitting the wreck every time without a line so a little awareness and navigational skill (both compass nav and natural nav) go a long way.

Of all the nerve. This is starting to sound like another thread with Jurassic Diver. Do you hang around Barrie much?

DeepBound:
Of all the nerve. This is starting to sound like another thread with Jurassic Diver. Do you hang around Barrie much?

No, I've only been there a couple of times. Not much diving there though. Not sure why this insults you so much. The line was installed and maintained so all can use it in order to make the site safer. Regardless of which route you choose on the trip back, both will lead to an excellent ladder exit.

Why don't you try to use the full quote rather than cutting it up to try to sway the conversation. Here is the whole paragraph for you.

Kevin Ripley:
It was our line that was moved, not the other way around. We put that line in 6 years ago and it has been there ever since with us maintaining it every year throughout the winter season as we are there almost every weekend through the winter. We do this voluntarily and out of pocket and only ask that people don't cut or move it around which is why we used parachute cord and pressure treated stakes to keep the line in place and a few inches off the bottom. Before we installed that line we were doing this dive from shore and still hitting the wreck every time without a line which shows that a little awareness of your surroundings and navigational skill (both compass nav and natural nav) go a long way.

Deepbound,

Like normal and totally predictable you start to slam a few GUE divers for your own perverse pleasure. This time over a few divers who take the afternoon off to fix and repair a line for use by less experienced divers for thier own safety. As I recall this year we lost a diver on that wreck or did we forget that already.

You may be able to astonish the masses by solodiving and doing it all on air but countless others are not in that mindset and do not need a daily slap in the head from those that thrive on misleading others for their own pleasure.

Kudos to Kevin and Doug to fix that line, rcsscuba has also this summer repaired that line and out of thier own pockets and what have you done to improve a site or dive for others, other then whine and ***** about GUE divers.

Tom R:
You may be able to astonish the masses by solodiving and doing it all on air but countless others are not in that mindset and do not need a daily slap in the head from those that thrive on misleading others for their own pleasure.
For the record I've never publicly talked about solo diving, to avoid being a bad example. It's just a few of you GUE guys who feel it's necessary to keep mentioning it. Let me make it clear: diving with a buddy is way safer, I'd not recommend solo diving to others at all.

It wasn't a big deal today, just a bit confusing after drifting 1km down the rockport wall looking for the line to indicate where the customs dock was, but it had moved. Or did you just add a new line, and leave the old one there? The old one I'm referring to continues in a straight line from the main kinghorn line and goes right up to that little spot where you can get in from the northeast corner of the customs lot.

But since that's the only legal entry point, why would you move it somewhere else? You're not supposed to be using that boat ramp.

Neil, there hasn't been a line to the boat ramp in about 2 years, ever since the town passed a bylaw prohibiting diving from the ramp. We re-installed the extension of the main line that runs to the northwest corner of the customs dock which is on the RBL side and has the aluminum ladder, not the Andress boat works side which is fenced off from water access. No lines were moved. I think you are somewhat confused as to the site layout here.

Go back and read the original post in this thread. You can get in at the northEAST corner of the custom's building, by hopping down about a 2 foot wall. There is about a 5 foot gap between the customs fence and a private wooden fence, that some of us use, so that we don't have to tresspass or break the boat ramp law.

Doesn't the customs building have a sign saying 'no swimming'? I hope you aren't using their dock to get in the water...

Kevin Ripley:
Neil, there hasn't been a line to the boat ramp in about 2 years, ever since the town passed a bylaw prohibiting divnig from the ramp. We re-installed a line that had run to the northwest corner of the customs dock which is on the RBL side and has the aluminum ladder, not the Andress boat works side which is fenced off from water access. No lines were moved. I think you are somewhat confused as to the site layout here.

Yes, for the last 4 years now. BTW, the gentleman who owns the other side of that little wooden fence dislikes divers because they park in front of his house and block acess to his waterfront deck so we don't go near there to avoid any issues with the locals.

The customs dock isn't used in the winter time and its crown land. Be careful you dont fall off that horse, it looks pretty high from here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom