Roll call - Cayman Brac -Shore diving anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sue/Dave

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Heading "back to the Brac" -- planning to do more shore-diving this time around. Anyone going to be on the Brac first week of August, 2016? I posted on the Facebook Brac shore diving group, doesn't seem to be too active right now, so checking here, too. Staying at Brac Caribbean Beach Village condos; convenient location to pick up tanks at either dive op on island.

I love Brac but i don't know much about the shore diving - but i would like to know more. Vincent54 has done a lot of shore diving on Brac so you might reach out to to him for more info.

You could also call the folks at The Brac Scuba Shack for more info. I know that both of the dive ops on Brac will rent tanks to shore divers, but Reef Divers is mostly pre-occupied with guests at the Cayman Brac Beach Resort so you might be better off trying to contact the Scuba Shack.

My experience with Caymanian companies is that if you don't get a quick response to an email - then you are better off calling them.

Please tell us what you find out!

Sue/Dave, please file a report on your return. I've never really shore dived on Brac but have been thinking about it.

I'll actually be there the 2nd week of August but I was wondering the same. I'm signed up for 17 dives via reef divers currently but I wouldn't mind getting a couple shore dives in.

Thanks KathyV and Doctorfish: I will definitely file a trip report. And will reach out to Vincent54, too (are you reading this thread Vincent54?) I dove with both Reef Divers and Brac Scuba Shack in April 2016; both are quality operations; and actually communicated pretty well with me before the trip. Loved the convenience of pick up at the pier right behind Brac Caribbean Condos by the folks at Scuba Shack. My family doesn't usually get to take trips so close together, but an opportunity came, so this time I'm looking at more shore-diving to save a little $. Sorry we won't be there at the same time, staggsSevin.

And still looking for any other shore divers first week of August on the Brac.

We dove Brac in January 15. It was a bit windy most of the month but still had some great dives. Not as many shore sites as Bonaire, but still great. We used Scuba Shack and the only negative was they didn't want us to take more than one tank each so it was a hassle to keep going back to exchange. By the end they lightened up and let us take 2 each.

We will be there 6-13 August. We are planning to do mostly shore diving, but will also be doing the mv tibbetts and bloody bay wall on little Cayman.

We are staying in a villa, but the boat dives are with Reef divers. We plan on doing shore dives with both reef and the brac shack.

I just got back from Brac and usually just shore dive. Kings Point on the south has a ladder access for one of the best dives around.
Public beach allows you to access another beautiful wall. Check the swell. I happened to miss on a return through the cut and the swell took across the shallows. Ripped my regulator out, lost my mask and ended up with multiple coral cuts.
Still healing after 2 weeks.

I prefer the North if the swells are up. Start at the MV around Buccaneer, go to Scotts Dock, any of the Reefs near Radar or Lynn's Reef and go east. Nina's Miniwall is an easy swim tho the wall, Sylvia's has a easy entry and easy out to wall.

Murph's and Heritage aren't dove much in Northeast bay and the entry has thousands of urchins. Usually a lot of turtles.

Finally, end it at Spot Bay and dive Almond house and the Burt Brothers. New moorings at End of island can be accessed from shore, did it once but never again. It is a looong walk and you are rewarded with some boulders. If you get to Sopt Bay, there is a resident Tiger shark that periodically will swim in for the fisherman. I have found a few of his/her teeth that it's shed while swimming out to the buoy. The fishermen see him, but I yet to have an encounter. Maybe spear a Lionfish.

Have fun

Vincent54 or Montana Tom, have either of you ever dived Atlantis near Radar Reef? Is it available as a shore dive or only a boat dive?

Is Atlantis worth diving? It looks like it might be a good site for some underwater photographs but is there much sea life around? Thanks!

Atlantis Cayman Brac

Interesting..........see my post #2312 from May 25th(click below link).........Was wondering kinda the same.......(Will have to keep up on this one ie thread.)........Going back 1st of Oct, hopefully with new info in hand.....:)......

Cayman - Picture of the Day

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom