Roll Call for all Mid-Atlantic Bottom Feeders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:14:

just checking in - tried to get together some gear for the upcoming warmer weather ... bought a used bc 6 mm f/j and reg set for #1 son and picked up a decent al80 - need a couple more tanks and we will be pretty much set

going to set the boys to casting some weights (scuba and fishing) as soon as I can find some decents molds at a fair price - any suggestions welcome on that - got a source for 250 lb buckets of wheel weights set up

has anyone dived the potomac anywhere between paw paw and harpers ferry? probably to shallow and swift - my daughters soccer coach helped with a search one time and set it was pretty yucky

Hi John,

Good to see you here. I too am anxious for the warmer weather. My wife (Clear Blue) and I are counting down to vacation in Key Largo in about 9 days. WOO HOO!!

Sounds as though your scuba shopping is going well. I don't know of any site on the Potomac that would be worth diving but then it is not an area that I am that familiar with. I would suggest that you talk to your local V.F.D. and see if they have a dive team. If so they can tell you where the better local diving is.

Hope we can get together and do some diving the summer. So far I have scheduled the weekend of June 16 for a dive trip to Portage Quarry in Ohio. We will go down and spend the night at the camp ground and do some diving with friends. A friend of mine has a nephew doing his OW check-out dives that weekend and she is going for moral support for him and the rest of us are just diving for fun. Your are welcome to drop by and dive with us.

Hi wvjohn,

You're in my neighborhood! I live just outside of Charles Town. We're all aching for the weather to get nice and the water temps to rise. The dive club I belong to is heading down to Lake Rawlings the first weekend in May. It looks like that's going to be my next opportunity to get wet.

I don't think there's anywhere along the Potomac that could be considered recreational diving. Strictly emergency search and rescue diving territory. There are a few spots along the Shenandoah that I have looked at, but in general I think the vis would be close to zero and there's nothing but mud down there.

WVDiver,

Have a great time in Key Largo! Mrs. MD and I were there in early February and had 4 great days of diving on bathtub smooth seas. Definitely check out the Duane. The deck is at about 105 fsw and it is very cool. Angelfish the size of garbage can lids and huge schools of 'cuda on patrol.

Our club is heading down to Pompano Beach in late May. I can't wait.

Mountain Dog

wvjohn:
:14:
has anyone dived the potomac anywhere between paw paw and harpers ferry? probably to shallow and swift - my daughters soccer coach helped with a search one time and set it was pretty yucky

I have not been diving there, but I know someone who has. I haven't gotten the locations from him, but I'll ask again. He said his buddies found some old bottles and civil war era stuff around Harpers Ferry. He was probably diving it in the late 60's to mid 70's. I don't know about entry points or the legality of diving and collecting there. If anybody is interested in arranging a trip I'd be interested.

hi, moved down to the NoVa area a few months ago. haven't done any local diving, but as the weather slowly warms, I'm really itchin to go diving. i don't have any coldwater diving geat (well, a 7/5mm, but i'm a wuss) so when does the water warm around here. i would love to bounce over to va beach or NC for some diving this summer with a group.

vel525:
hi, moved down to the NoVa area a few months ago. haven't done any local diving, but as the weather slowly warms, I'm really itchin to go diving. i don't have any coldwater diving geat (well, a 7/5mm, but i'm a wuss) so when does the water warm around here. i would love to bounce over to va beach or NC for some diving this summer with a group.

Welcome to the neighborhood. The closest water to you is Millbrook, which is owned and operated by The Dive Shop in Fairfax. I'm sure they can tell you about their water temps. I have heard from other divers in my club who were there last week that it's pretty chilly right now. There are quite a few shops in the area and many of them have clubs that coordinate group excursions. My club goes to NC four or five times every summer. I haven't been on one of those trips yet, but I'm told that once you go to NC, you will go back again and again.

I hope to see you around this summer.

Mountain Dog

Mountain Dog:
Welcome to the neighborhood. The closest water to you is Millbrook, which is owned and operated by The Dive Shop in Fairfax. I'm sure they can tell you about their water temps. I have heard from other divers in my club who were there last week that it's pretty chilly right now. There are quite a few shops in the area and many of them have clubs that coordinate group excursions. My club goes to NC four or five times every summer. I haven't been on one of those trips yet, but I'm told that once you go to NC, you will go back again and again.

I hope to see you around this summer.

Mountain Dog

Thanks for the info. Ya, I think Millbrook is a little bit chilly for me right now. I do most of my diving in warm salt water :D
I am actually very close to The Dive Shop and have stopped in a few times. They seem like great people. I have done one trip to Morehead City and had a blast. Hoping to do a few more trips this summer. It's a little bit of a drive though.
Looking forward to meeting some more local divers.

had to try out my xmas goodies to make sure they worked. looks like #2 son has the makings of a commercial diver. wanted to fix the bottom of my pool drain where a screw had come off. He got in with a WV weight belt (camo fanny pack with 7.5 lb round weight) grabbed my octo, pulled out the rusted screw, went and got a new screw and a screwdiver, came back and put it in, then wanted to swim around the bottom looking for junk.

although it wasn't real scenic, it was nice to sit on the bottom for a while and look at the bubbles :)

Greetings,

Just got OW recerted after a layoff since '75! I'll be getting my AOW the weekend of 19 May at Lake Rawlings with Annapolis Scuba.

I'm interested in getting a wreck specialty, and eventually persuing cavern and cave diving.

I'll be buying a package before the 19th, but won't be doing any diving till then.

Hey, drop a line if you need a buddy!

Cheers,

Greg

Dive with a buddy and reduce the chance of shark attack by 50%.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom