Rolling Eyes at LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I roll my eyes when those"tech S*&%" (DIR setup) divers show up with 130 cuft scud missiles with 20lbs keel weights still attached to the backplate and no tanks boots then ask "where do you want me to put these" :D
Well ... since they asked ... why not just answer the question ... :shocked:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

At least they will service your gear (with only eyes rolled). Just had to replace my BBQ grill because even though I bought it at LOWES a few years ago, it was manufactured in China and no one will service it. The local store said that when they order parts from the company, they frequently don't fit in the grill. So they gave up. Even the US importer had no service network.
I know a reg is not a grill, but part of what you pay for is the service & support offered by the LDS and the ability to have it fixed. I was a service tech many years ago (now out of dive business) and frankly the time and hassle of import gear repair was not worth what you charge for it.

No opinion on the shops decision, but I've had the same situation. There are shops that will not fill tanks made of a certain alloy or of a certain age, based on a history of failures. What can happen is that a tank will pass hydro, and said tank will fail eddy current testing after hydro due to stress cracking at the neck. I've had my tanks refused after personally testing them, after going through formal training, etc.I know the tanks are OK, but the shop wont fill em. it's policy. I respect that, Simply because I know that many tanks are not inspected to the degree possible. The shop has no way of knowing, so they make a blanket decision. fair enough.

It should be in our minds that it's not liability per se, but the possibilty of the tank monkey getting their legs blown off during a fill which causes much of this type of caution.

Proud tank monkey,
Nomad

Hey tank monkey,

6351 tanks are only aluminum, not steel. Nemrod was filling steel 72's and 85's. Florida is so retarded when it comes to filling tanks. I've returned merchandise before because a Flor-i-duh shop wouldn't fill my steel 72 cf tanks. Of course, the 18 year old behind the counter kept calling it an aluminum 80...Stuff like that is why I have a compressor. Now if they only made a VW portable compressor...

My daughter recently expressed interest in becoming certified. I was delighted to learn this and felt that it would provide a great opportunity for some family bonding. We went to the local Scuba Network in Pompano at the corner of SW 10th st and Federal Hwy. The sign in the window reads: "Scuba Certification $99". What it doesn't state is that you are required to purchase your equipment from the shop prior to the class. I signed up for a refresher course to keep my daughter company during her class. I was resigned to outfitting the entire family if she enjoyed the experience. I couldn't have been prepared for the aweful experience we were about to encounter.

We were told that we couldn't dive without first purchasing masks, fins, wetsuits, dive knifes, slates, boots, dive bags, whistles, and a snorkle. The equipment was 20% to 50% more that one would pay at competing stores. I actually told the sales rep that we lived very close by and would be loyal customers if we were well taken care of.

I actually learned from another person in the class that, during equipment inspection, a store representative (Don't worry, I won't disclose your name John) told her that she HAD to have a mesh bag. Pretty rediculous if you ask me.

After learning that we paid the premium for our wetsuits and I experienced the poor attitudes of the store representatives, I purchased three BC's, three regulators, three octos, three compasses, three dive computers, an additional wetsuit, two more masks, four sets of fins, three dive bags and two spear guns. All of which was purchased at local dive shops but not at Scuba Network.

It pays to service your customers and leave them feeling that they are special. I estimate that we've spent nearly $7,000 on our equipment alone. So much for saving money on the special offer...... Their loss!

My daughter who is new to diving and was certified by the Scuba Network shop in Pompano Beach a few weeks ago went into the shop last week to reserve 8 tanks. She picked up the four we used on Saturday and we returned them today (Sunday). It was late in the day and they close at 5pm. I asked if we could use the tanks another day and was told we couldn't. I was also told we couldn't get a credit.

They knew she was very new to this sport and had never rented tanks before......after all, they certified her. When I complained John actually had the audacity to bring up the fact that my daughter asked for advice about a speargun and then bought it somewhere else. It happened to be an Omer and they do not carry this model. John the manager actaully referenced this and said "your daughter came in and expected us to povide information on a speargun like we were an encyclopedia service". That's called customer service. Perhaps we'd be loyal customers if we were treated better than a one time sale when we first came to the shop.

Shame on you guys. I'd recommend any other local shop before this one. We've been to Divers Direct, Dixie Divers, Pompano Dive Center and a host of other local dive shops. We firmly believe in patronizing our local shops for equipment as well as training. I'd just rather spend my time with business people who appreciate the support.

Maybe this obligation that people feel to "patronize their local shop" is the seed from whence this widely-reported attitude springs from. (I have no problem with the shops I use.) If you feel you owe him your business, your loyalty, why should he compete for it? It is perhaps a better strategy from his point of view to keep reinforcing that sense of obligation by entreating people on the internet to support their lds and by berating people in person when they don't. We certainly have seen enough people come to the Scubaboard with that in mind.

It reminds me of what I have read about wife-beaters. They seek out women with low self-esteem, charm them early in the relationship, then treat them like dirt, reinforce their conviction that they deserve to be treated like dirt, and cut them off from friends and family who might tell them differently. (I don't want to trivialize domestic violence, but this is a pretty good metaphor, I think.) The dive shop charms you with a $99 class. Then, when you docilely buy their over-priced snorkeling equipment they know you're a potential victim. They berate you for socializing with other dive shops that might bolster your esteem, and they warn you to stay away from the internet, where somebody might tell you it doesn't have to be this way. They even threaten to choke off your air! And you (some of you) keep going back for more abuse. Get a protection order!

It's not easy to finally break free from an abusive relationship, but our counselors stand by, ready to help you through these difficult times. Come'ere, we'll give you a hug, sound advice, great deals, and a chance to really find enjoy the passion for diving that is hiding deep inside you!

It's not easy to finally break free from an abusive relationship, but our counselors stand by, ready to help you through these difficult times. Come'ere, we'll give you a hug, sound advice, great deals, and a chance to really find enjoy the passion for diving that is hiding deep inside you!
:rofl3:

Then, when you docilely buy their over-priced snorkeling equipment they know you're a potential victim. They berate you for socializing with other dive shops that might bolster your esteem, and they warn you to stay away from the internet, where somebody might tell you it doesn't have to be this way. They even threaten to choke off your air! And you (some of you) keep going back for more abuse. Get a protection order!

It's not a threat. If you don't have anyplace to get air fills, you can either buy a compressor or hope you can talk your local gas supplier into filling your tanks. Many aren't too cooperative, since they don't want to bother with breathing gas.

Terry

It's not a threat. If you don't have anyplace to get air fills, you can either buy a compressor or hope you can talk your local gas supplier into filling your tanks. Many aren't too cooperative, since they don't want to bother with breathing gas.

Terry

That's an interesting approach, to shape your logic under the fear that you won't get air fills, therefore you need to submit to the various negative things that have been posted above.

This is America, the land of opportunity and capitalism - you'll always be able to get an airfill. Do what you think and feel is right - don't be held hostage to the fact that the shop in question has a compressor - every other shop does too, and from the sounds fo the post, they might even be friendlier

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom