Root canals and scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe Bailey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all, I have heard horror stories about posts from a cap put in after a root canal, and how it causes an air space that can't be equalized. Have any of you had success with a root canal, or should I just have the tooth removed?

I had a root canal several years ago and it has never bothered me, I haven't even thought about it.

n=1

Neither crowns nor posts CAUSE air bubbles. The vast majority of root canals succeed for many years. There are some teeth that are too far gone to save with a root canal much less than a crown on top. Every case is different and must be individually evaluated.

Depending upon how much tooth remains following the root canal therapy, a core or a post and core is placed prior to completing a crown. The tooth that has a root canal becomes more brittle and thus needs the post, core and crowns to help reinforce it after the nerve is removed.

Laurence Stein, DDS

Three root canals, no problems.

Many root canals, no problems diving.

Neither crowns nor posts CAUSE air bubbles. The vast majority of root canals succeed for many years. There are some teeth that are too far gone to save with a root canal much less than a crown on top. Every case is different and must be individually evaluated.

Depending upon how much tooth remains following the root canal therapy, a core or a post and core is placed prior to completing a crown. The tooth that has a root canal becomes more brittle and thus needs the post, core and crowns to help reinforce it after the nerve is removed.

Laurence Stein, DDS

I wish you were closer.

The air space that you speak of are almost always from a very old filing that was not done properly. You can get a reverse squeeze from it if you ascend too quickly. Todays modern dental techniques virtually eliminate this possibility.

I did learn this the painful way. I had to have a filing replaced.

Thanks everyone, thats a load off my mind. Now I guess I don't have to be so afraid of the dentist. lol

Ive had atleast 2, I think its been 3 and atleast of them more than 10 years ago and none of them has bothered me while diving.
Scary part is that the cavities didnt give me any toothaces either which is what caused them to get to the stage where I needed root canals :eek:

Back
Top Bottom