Rote Learning vs. Understanding Concepts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sambolino44

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My dive buddy recently asked me the best way to hold the console over the 1st stage when opening the valve. My attempt to explain got the sore retort, "I don't have time for a long explanation, just tell me what to do!" I was, however, able to prevail enough to get her to listen to what's going on when you open the valve.

I was taught that pressure gauges have been known to explode when pressurized, so you should make sure that the face of the gauge is pointing in a safe direction when you open the valve. Apparently, her O/W instructor teaches students to hold the pressure gauge face down over the top of the 1st stage reg when opening the valve. Now, that can have the effect of pointing the gauge in a "safe" direction, or it can mean that you'll blow the shrapnel into your hand instead of your face. Or, in this case, it could mean that you mistook the depth gauge for the pressure gauge on your two-sided console, and it IS pointing toward your face. I guess her instructor feels that she's also providing cover for if the O-ring blows, but if you ask me, why put your hand anywhere near it if you don't have to?

I was also taught to open the valve slowly, and that if you do that, it's unlikely that the gauge will explode anyway. Not only that, but it's easier on your regulators.

But the point of this post is not about holding the gauge or opening the valve, it's about how we are taught, and how we learn things.

I understand that we're all busy people and don't have enough time. I understand that the dive education industry puts a premium on getting new divers into the sport at the expense of providing adequate training. But it drives me crazy when people forget the reason why we do things and remember only the mnemonic device they crammed into us in O/W class.

Call me naive, but I feel that the basic concepts are not that hard to grasp; most people can get it if they just put a little effort into it. Sure, those rules of thumb can be handy, but how many times have we heard somebody who obviously does not understand the underlying concept spout off some rule that may be appropriate most times, but not THIS time. And you're put in the position of having to go into some long explanation that should have taken place two years ago by their instructor.

We're all looking for the easy, quick, simple answer. Don't bother me with the details, just give me the bullet points. Well, in my opinion, the bullet points are worthless if you don't understand the details behind them.

So what's the solution? I guess this post is really just a rant, because I have no suggestions for improvement. Other than changing the focus from getting more new divers into the sport and focusing instead on thorough (read: expensive) training, I don't see much hope.

Ha ha! As a PADI Instructor I pretty much have to say "point the gauge away while opening" but I also pretty much don't worry about it when I'm setting up 8-12 sets of gear for the boat. And I'm not turning on the gas slowly either.

Has anybody even heard of a gauge sending "shrapnel" in the last 20 years? 30 years?

Here's your rote learning vs my risk analysis. There's about the same chance (slim) a piston rod will come through the bell housing and hit you while you are driving your car!

Hey sambolino44: "Wow, that was way too much info... don't bother me with DETAILS, I need bullet points"!!! Just Kidding :D

I agree with your main point regarding rote learning. But don't dispair, I think a lot of instructors do really try to get their students to understand rather than just memorize the important stuff. But like in any educational setting, a lot depends on the student actually making the effort to understand... and not just memorize for a test.

Best wishes.

My only suggestion is that we help people one at a time by simply saying something like "I could tell you the answer but I want you to learn so you can teach the next person". Remember the old Prell commercials....? Ahhh, probably not.

We're all looking for the easy, quick, simple answer. Don't bother me with the details, just give me the bullet points. Well, in my opinion, the bullet points are worthless if you don't understand the details behind them.

There are phases in learning/expertise, and bullet points have their use.

Understanding the 'why' is good, and allows you to make better decisions when you're in a situation you haven't been trained for (or where you got conflicting trainings).

However, expertise doesn't happen overnight - and recipes/procedures are a safe way to get in the water - and a prerequisite to expertise anyway.

At the beginner level, I think the job of an instructor is to deliver the procedures, and hope to awaken curiosity. Some people don't mind staying at the novice/beginner level forever - and as long as they don't try to dive beyond their training, they're not necessarily bad buddies. (Well, ok - it frustrates me as well, but once underwater they can be fine.... sometimes....)

To me, learning is part of the fun in diving. But then I'm happy to just enjoy music, and I'm not looking too much into what makes a particular performance better than another. To each its own...

I can't tell what actually happened in the class, but...

There is a limit to how much information a student can learn and retain. Maybe the instructor did a pretty good job explaining why you don't point the gauges in a dangerous direction. Maybe it was done in a quick and understated fashion.

"Explode" and "shrapnel" are overstatements. The worst case scenario would really involve the face plate popping off, something that is really a relic of a bygone era of instrument design. It is possible that the instructor did not dwell upon this at length, feeling that it was not all that important and instructional time was better spent in more imporatnt areas. I don't know.

What I do know is that in education programs where students are expected to spend many hours studying for exams for which they have had untold hours of instruction, a 70% score is considered satisfactory. In scuba, a case of a student forgetting one instructional point is considered a sign of incompetent instruction.

Interesting thread for me because I discovered long ago that I don't learn very well at all by rote (I still have trouble with the times table :shocked2:). Perhaps I had a bit too much fun in my youth. Instead I have to learn (as you say) the concept behind things. Oddly enough, this hasn't detracted from my knowledge base in any way and I usually get high marks on courses, school etc...
Instructors either love me or hate me, depending on whether they are lazy or not because I ask plenty of questions as the class progresses to clarify the concepts in my head. Having done that however, I usually don't have to cram for exams like many of my other classmates.
I also read a great deal beforehand. It is rare that I go into a learning situation cold.

I was taught in OW class to make sure the console points away from anyone. Then in Rescue I was taught also to hold the purge button on either 2nd stage so the gas "has somewhere to go". I think the most important thing for any diver is DIR. I'm gaining a lot of knowledge of dive theory, which I find very interesting. But whether you're a newbie or a Course Director, on Air, you still have a maximum limit of 20 minutes at 100 ft. Know the tables, plan the dive, know the important safety stuff. After 6 years of college and 19 teaching band, I found I probably used 20% of all the stuff I learned. But I sure used the basics.

First off, the bell housing covers the clutch assembly or hydraulic convertor, not the piston assemblies. They are encased in the engin block. Secondly, remembering to point the pressure gauge away from you and pushing the purge button on the second stage is a good idea even though most SPG's are built pretty tough in these modern times. Thirdly, I got through high school and engineering school by memorizing (I guess that means learning by "rote") the workbooks. I learned everything that was useful/valuable in the electical construction environment after leaving school. Actually most of the stuff I learned in school was pretty much a waste of time except maybe baseball.

Back
Top Bottom