rough terrain shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Old Ballard

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be working in a shoreline with about 50-60 meters of rough terrain down to the beach, including large diameter drift wood. The slope is manageable going down (gravity) but going up is the hard part and dragging stuff up is on hands and knees, and is inelegant. Wheel barrow, dock cart work ok down, but its useless going up. Maybe I just have to lug it up foot by foot. Once at the top its clear - conceivable I could run a drag rope attached to a vehicle. Any suggestions? This is a 6 to 9 month project, and I work more getting up slope than in the water.

Do you have access to a winch or would you be tying the rope to a vehicle and pulling it that way? I think a 4 wheel cart with your tanks and weights in the bottom would be fine if you used a winch. That way you can watch the cart the entire time you're pulling it up AND lowering it down. Other option would be to install a rope that you can use to haul yourself up with to stay upright instead of being on hands & knees.

This is one of the strengths of sidemount: sketchy entries where making multiple trips for transporting equipment makes sense.

Very nice, thanks. Had thought of some sort of winch, but as I read this it causes me to ponder a bit. It may be worth cobbling a battery-powered winch with a longish control cable so I can be down slope a bit further to keep my eyes on things. Less damage on the slope (vs pickup treads). Onwards! It shall be done. Photos in a week or two hopefully.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom