Rough Treatment of Rental Gear - what's normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Outlaw14

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all.

The rough treatment I am speaking of is from the dive shop not the renter herself. I recently have purchased all my own equipment but my buddy still rents BC and regulator. Recently upon returning from a dive charter she was instructed to rinse her BC/reg (which she did correctly). Upon returning it to the shop the person in the shop took the gear from her and flung it halfway across the room into a pile of other rental gear! Correct me if I am wrong, being fairly new to diving I may be overprotective, but is that anyway to treat equipment that should be responsible for someones life? Or is the gear sturdier than I give it credit for?

I know with my own equipment I am very gentle. What's the real deal? My friend said she lost some respect for the shop after observing that treatment of gear. We had an otherwise good trip out with their charter. Oh, and this wasn't happening in the back room at the shop but rather right out in the main room where people are all around, and presumably the owner/manager too.

Lauren

Outlaw14:
Hello all.

The rough treatment I am speaking of is from the dive shop not the renter herself. I recently have purchased all my own equipment but my buddy still rents BC and regulator. Recently upon returning from a dive charter she was instructed to rinse her BC/reg (which she did correctly). Upon returning it to the shop the person in the shop took the gear from her and flung it halfway across the room into a pile of other rental gear! Correct me if I am wrong, being fairly new to diving I may be overprotective, but is that anyway to treat equipment that should be responsible for someones life? Or is the gear sturdier than I give it credit for?

I know with my own equipment I am very gentle. What's the real deal? My friend said she lost some respect for the shop after observing that treatment of gear. We had an otherwise good trip out with their charter. Oh, and this wasn't happening in the back room at the shop but rather right out in the main room where people are all around, and presumably the owner/manager too.

Lauren

As a former dive store owner I would suspect that the person abusing the gear was an employee not the person who paid for the gear. I would be rather leary of rental gear treated in that manner.

wedivebc:
As a former dive store owner I would suspect that the person abusing the gear was an employee not the person who paid for the gear. I would be rather leary of rental gear treated in that manner.

Do you think we should have done anything like asked to speak to the manager, etc? It would seem like the treatment was condoned since it was done right out in the open.

This makes me want her to bring either her own new gear next time or to rent somewhere else. But I guess we don't know how other rental gear is treated elsewhere.

Thanks!

Outlaw14:
Do you think we should have done anything like asked to speak to the manager, etc? It would seem like the treatment was condoned since it was done right out in the open. This makes me want her to bring either her own new gear next time or to rent somewhere else. But I guess we don't know how other rental gear is treated elsewhere.
I'd certainly have spoken to the manager. Whether or not the BC was harmed, your confidence in the gear was shaken. That should be enough for any astute manager to take action, or at least attempt to reassure you--assuming the shop wants your patronage.

I work in a dive shop and they seem to have a fair amount of drama and turnover. The manager should want to know if an employee is getting out of hand or the customers are being frightened.

Fin on,
Bryan

Outlaw14:
Do you think we should have done anything like asked to speak to the manager, etc? It would seem like the treatment was condoned since it was done right out in the open.

This makes me want her to bring either her own new gear next time or to rent somewhere else. But I guess we don't know how other rental gear is treated elsewhere.

Thanks!
If I were the store owner I would like to hear customer feedback about anything they were concerned with. It would be best to not name names at first unless it would have a constructive result. Most responsible store owners welcome feedback from their customers. Better than telling other potential customers.

Good points. I was actually more worried about the regulator being tossed into the pile than the BC, just seems like a reg would have more things that could go wrong with a rough toss. I will share our concerns more quickly going forward.

Lauren

He threw the REGULATOR TOO? You said you didn't know how gear is treated elsewhere. I can tell you that our manager would take action immediately if she saw someone throw a BC across the room. A thrown regulator would probably cause a small meltdown.

Bryan

eponym:
He threw the REGULATOR TOO? You said you didn't know how gear is treated elsewhere. I can tell you that our manager would take action immediately if she saw someone throw a BC across the room. A thrown regulator would probably cause a small meltdown.

Bryan

Yes, she said the BC and reg were both tossed 1/2way across the room into another pile of gear. I didn't observe any of this, but will double check. Perhaps this was going into a pile of gear to be serviced anyway? Wishful thinking I suppose. I think I will drop the store owner an email and just let him know what our observations were. Don't want to create a big stink, but you all are confirming what our gut was telling us.

Lauren

I would think that store managers would welcome an email from a concerned patron. Just think, you might be saving someone's life down the road who might have otherwise rented a beat up reg. or a faulty BCD.

eponym:

Bryan

I just confirmed with her that it was a good 6-7 foot toss. She said at least the regulator landed on the BC as a cushion. Getting ready to email them now. Thanks for all the reassurance that this is not normal.

Lauren

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom