Rubber Knobs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmalinowski

Contributor
Reaction score
I purchased a DR 300 bar manifold at a great price, but I want to replace the plastic knobs with the rubber knobs with metal inserts (a DIR thing). But I just don't know where to purchase them. Is there any place online where I can order the rubber knobs?

Thanks,
Chris

Chris,

Sherwood makes the knobs you want. Almost any LDS can order them from Sherwood. (Whether they WILL or not is another question...)

Here is OMS's take on the issue (which is another reason I never purchase OMS gear):

"WHY OMS VALVES DO NOT COME EQUIPPED WITH RUBBER KNOBS

OMS manifold valve knobs are manufactured from medium durometer plastic to prevent wedging and accidental turning should the manifold come in contact with the overhead environment such as those encountered while cave diving or wreck diving.

Rubber has many drawbacks. It is subject to rapid UV deterioration and sudden failure, is usually a low durometer material, has a high coefficient of friction (it s grabby), and is therefore more prone to being turned by anything it comes in contact with. For example on a set of manifold doubles, the Divers left side valve knob (rubber) would wedge and turn to the closed position (unexpectedly shutting off the gas supply) more so than plastic. On similar note Cave divers discarded rubber cylinder boots long ago, after they discovered that they had a tendency to wedge in restrictions, causing the diver to become stuck."

Sherwood knobs fit nearly all major manufacturers manifolds and valves. You can find them listed at numerous online dive shops, such as this one (second item from the bottom):
http://www.divingniknaks.com/products.php?pg=2

Suggest you either do a search on this board for Sherwood Rubber Knobs or try googling the same keywords. I found something like 11 pages of hits, I'm sure one of them is convenient to you with prices in $$.

Doc Intrepid:
"WHY OMS VALVES DO NOT COME EQUIPPED WITH RUBBER KNOBS

OMS manifold valve knobs are manufactured from medium durometer plastic to prevent wedging and accidental turning... On similar note Cave divers discarded rubber cylinder boots long ago, after they discovered that they had a tendency to wedge in restrictions, causing the diver to become stuck.".
Yes, that came up on my google search yesterday. I found it... hmmm... interesting :)

Doc Intrepid:
Sherwood knobs fit nearly all major manufacturers manifolds and valves. You can find them listed at numerous online dive shops, such as this one (second item from the bottom):
http://www.divingniknaks.com/products.php?pg=2

Suggest you either do a search on this board for Sherwood Rubber Knobs or try googling the same keywords. I found something like 11 pages of hits, I'm sure one of them is convenient to you with prices in $$.
Thanks for the links. I did do a search on "rubber knobs" and didn't come up with much in this sub-forum. I'll expand outside of this niche and see. But divingniknaks or 5thd will hopefully do the trick.

Thanks doc and kev,
Chris

I just got a bunch from EE. Not listed on their site... I just called 'em.
Also, I'm pretty sure that you can get them at TDL.

Joel at TDL has them for around $11.00 each. Don't know if that is too pricey for you or if you can get them cheaper elsewhere. I got a few from him and the shipping is reasonable and quick.

Heres the link.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom