Rubber wing locators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also have the trim pockets on my singles setup which makes it a little harder to take the wing off. Not impossible, but enough to just leave the wing on. I have also had Tobin send out replacements (Thanks), but they always fell out or got lost. So I just ignore it at this point. I have watched the video and was told that if I used them properly I would not have a problem. But they still fell out or got lost.

I dive my doubles more often anyway, so it is not that big of a deal.

I also have the trim pockets on my singles setup which makes it a little harder to take the wing off. Not impossible, but enough to just leave the wing on. I have also had Tobin send out replacements (Thanks), but they always fell out or got lost. So I just ignore it at this point. I have watched the video and was told that if I used them properly I would not have a problem. But they still fell out or got lost.

I dive my doubles more often anyway, so it is not that big of a deal.

We have never recommended adding ballast to the cambands. There are few reasons why this is often suboptimal. 1) Makes wing removal more difficult. 2) Places ballast further from the divers back, 3) Leaving a wing between swinging lead weights and hard stainless back plate is just another good way to pinch your bladder.

Having 100% of your ballast attached to your rig can also increase the size of the required wing, as your wing has to float all of your ballast and all of your gas if you ditch the gear. If some of your ballast is on a belt then often a smaller wing will do the job. This pays benefits when a diver takes his cold water wing to a warm water location.

Recognizing that some applications require quite a bit of ballast is why we offer bolt on weight plates. These keep the ballast close to the divers back, and there no swinging weights to pinch wings.

Tobin

We have never recommended adding ballast to the cambands. There are few reasons why this is often suboptimal. 1) Makes wing removal more difficult. 2) Places ballast further from the divers back, 3) Leaving a wing between swinging lead weights and hard stainless back plate is just another good way to pinch your bladder.

Having 100% of your ballast attached to your rig can also increase the size of the required wing, as your wing has to float all of your ballast and all of your gas if you ditch the gear. If some of your ballast is on a belt then often a smaller wing will do the job. This pays benefits when a diver takes his cold water wing to a warm water location.

Recognizing that some applications require quite a bit of ballast is why we offer bolt on weight plates. These keep the ballast close to the divers back, and there no swinging weights to pinch wings.

Tobin

I never mentioned putting 100% of my ballast on my cam bands. I said I have trim pockets on my cam bands and I also remove the soft weights before I take everything off my cylinder. That way there is no swinging lead to pinch my bladder. It just goes to your #1 point, it makes the wing more difficult to remove.

I did like the bolt on weight plate idea until I saw the cost, I then decided to go with trim pockets. It was about half the cost and I could customize how much weight I want, not just the weight plates you sell. You are definitely more of an expert than I will ever be on your gear, but how much of a difference is there between weight plates and trim pockets performance wise?

Just to be clear, I am not arguing, I am just saying what I think as a consumer. However misguided it might be. I own a handful of your products and will not hesitate to buy more when needed.

I use a weight belt, the steel plate, and weights in the trim pockets on the top tank band as my ballast for diving. As others have stated, the trim pockets offer the option to vary the amount of weight you carry there, tuning your trim or altering for different exposure suit. Also once the weight is removed from the pockets the unit is much lighter for storage or travel. My buddies also use the trim pockets as we like the advantages these offer.

After shore diving I remove the weights from the pockets, and place the whole Scuba unit: plate, wing, tank and reg into my plastic bucket assembled and pressurized. When I get home I fill the bucket with water and rinse. Being able to remove the weights as opposed to bolting to plate makes it much easier to handle the bucket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom