Rude Divers on the Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some of my favorites dives have been pre dawn solos on Bonaire. NO other divers at all!
Just me, quietly poking along, watching the reef come awake for the day.

Yup, me too ... getting in while it's still dark and watching as the night shift punches out and the day shift punches in ... it's a very soothing way to begin the day ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

One evening on Little Cayman when a friend (who in February 2015 sadly passed away on an LCBR boat) and I were sitting down to dinner at the resort, he asked if I thought that (for a change) we should say a prayer. Almost immediately (I had been terrorized on several dives that day) I said: Lord please save me from GoPros on sticks.

What to do with really rude divers? I address them politely, directly, firmly. Thank you but NO, you may not manhandle my camera gear. Thank you for NOT smoking as it is making others seasick. There may be a few who forget their manners aboard a boat but usually a quiet word politely, directly, firmly gets the point across and prevents further problems. One does not need to stoop to their level, belittle, berate or yell. Worst I ever saw was an instructor yelling at an adult for their imperfect performance underwater. I thanked the instructor for NOT yelling anymore, for taking time to encourage the student and share the love of the ocean and all it contained. The instructor stood there shocked, speechless. I then took his student to upper deck of dive boat, who thanked me for stopping the instructors inappropriate behavior in public. We then had a wonderful conversation about diving, creatures, travel, opportunities and by the time dive #2 came up the student had forgotten what an ------ his instructor was and was ready to explore underwater again. We didn't hear any more yelling and I didn't need to berate instructor for being an ------. So few people speak up to rectify the situation but are quick to bemoan. I've been thanked more than a handful of times, sometimes by the ignorant offender and then had interesting conversations 99.9% of divers are great people. I choose to treat people with respect and hope they would do the same should I accidentally offend someone more experienced. For the others....it's a big ocean, jump in quick and be last to board is my motto!

Some old threads are worth resurrecting :).

Mostly divers are a great group. I tend to be a glass half full type person and tune out the PIAs. I've run into a few rude divers but the memories tend to blurr because of the great experiences.

One does stand out tho and I admit my response was a bit passive aggressive:doh:

We were on a dive trip to a well know and remote resort in the Coral Triangle and this :dramaqueen: was consistently rude which is why the memory stands out.

First day out on the boat trip out she was clearly ignoring us and also very clearly friendly with a couple other divers on the boat. When we were gearing up she announced who she wanted in "her group" and which DM/Guide she wanted. She also stated that "her group"should go first so they didn't have to deal with us messing up "her" dive and scaring things away!

I shrugged it off. I was happy enough to not have a big group. My buddies.. my hubby and a married couple had booked the trip together, were used to diving together and two other new arrivals (all experienced divers). We had a lovely dives.

During the SIT she was not happy with our group using "her husband's camera bucket and table". He seemed a lovely fellow but had limited English and of course the Bucket and table were provided for everyone's use. She was also concerned that we might be using "their" nitrox. :idk: I actually found her antics rather entertaining as she tried to keep "her group" from mingling with the new upstarts. This time she demanded to be the last group in so they wouldn't have to wait for us to end our dive. Our group all had good SAC's and the DM was happy to let us have a nice long dive. More carry on about making sure there was enough distance between the groups so we wouldn't ruin her dive. You get the picture.

Here's where it got fun. I have a bit of a reputation as a good critter spotter. I decided to work VERY hard to find the best stuff I could and point it out to our group. After our 2nd dive the DM's were poring over the ID books trying to figure out what my latest find was. They had never seen it before and were going on about how I spotted such unusual stuff. I enjoyed the pics our group got.

Two days later :dramaqueen: favorites trip ended and they left. I actually started feeling sorry for her as her behavior/attitude isolated her. Karma.... as her husband wound up asking her to help him understand our friend who taught underwater photography and was willing to give him some tips with his new camera.

Turned out she had the idea that because we were from OZ the trip was super cheap for us compared to what they had to pay from Europe. This is why she felt entitled to have her desires catered to. This was their once in a lifetime holiday. She was shocked to find out we all wound up paying about the same amount :shakehead: Assumptions :shakehead: She was still a :dramaqueen: and her behavior wound up making her last 4 days a lot less enjoyable for her. We never wound up diving with her as the DM's wound up keeping our group together and putting them in with the next influx of divers.

This story is why myself and my buddy try to dive alone as much as possible. A crowded dive boat and a crowded dive site is about as much fun as being kicked in the face repeatedly and having sand kicked in your face... and... you get the drift.

Sister got smacked in the forehead by a tank during a rolling entry because the diver next to her didn't roll with the rest of the divers.

My wife and I got to watch our DM fondling and making out with one of the other divers on our dive.

Got a sideways comment about how I need to breath slower so I can stay down longer so we don't have to end the dive early.

Had another diver try to go diving with my gear instead of her rental gear.

On the whole, not too many jerks. At least, not as bad as some of these stories. It's mostly the busy dive sites that bother me. People usually inadvertently kick me and run into me.

no naked people on dive boats - period. TMI. As far as the rude divers. . . bring some para cord and some snap hooks and attach them to a big rock while they're distracted. They probably can't even dive very well either. I'd find another boat that specializes in fun and not taking out diptards

Did a week in Saba - the other divers on the boat were from the UK.
They all got naked everyday. You get to where you ignore it pretty quickly!

Trying to get rid of the pasty glare was probably the reason they were nekid.

Back
Top Bottom