Rude Divers on the Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was shooting an octopus once, under a cement block using a GoPro on a stick. There was a line attached to the block and while I was recording, the owner (a student I assume as there was nothing to actually run a line to in the vicinity) wound in the reel and actually stood on top of me while untying it. I thought: How can you not see a diver? but I suppose they were task loaded (or narced at 60'). Neither they, nor their buddy, ever acknowledged my existence. Anyway, because of this I believe tech students, or owners of reels, are truly rude divers.

Because of the actions of 1 diver (who I agree was likely NOT a tech diver) on this one occasion, you now consider tech students or owners of reels to be truely rude divers?

Right. So if I met a drunk crossing-dressing Lithuanian with a Samsung phone, I would then know that all Samsung phone users are drunk cross-dressing Lithuanians? Actually that does explain a lot about Uncle Paulus...

Last edited:
I know this is an older post but the rude diver phenomenon has been an increasing bugbear in the dive world and it's getting worse.

I think part of the problem is that diving has become so accessible over the last ten years - not necessarily because of pricing - and in a way this is a resounding success story but I've watched the industry change from what was once the preserve of people who dived solely for the privelage and pleasure of being underwater and witnessing all the majesty that the Ocean has to offer to what has become over the years, rather unfortunately, a sort of status symbol rather than an activity to be enjoyed, so instead of people diving because they love it, a lot of people dive so they can brag about it later.

There's a definite attitude that goes with it, and it has to be said that there are certain nationalities who provide more of these rude people than others, and the rise of underwater photography and social media has definitely played a part. I'm not saying that all photographers are rude divers - far, far from it, most are lovely - but I have seen so many groups of divers chasing wildlife with their cameras, driving the wildlife away and thus spoiling it for everybody else in the water. So focused are they on their cameras that they are oblivious to anything else underwater - it's the same sort of irritating behaviour exhibited by people who can't put down their smartphones whilst walking down a busy street and just bump into people like a human pinball. Every now and then they get their just desserts and walk into a lamp-post; the problem being that the underwater equivalent of bumping into a lamp post is smashing into a fragile head of coral.

It was a topic of constant, frustrated amusement and bewilderment amongst my colleagues and I - the typical "advanced" diver who apparently knows everything there is to know about everything (few of them on SB, actually!) and it may be that back in their home town they are the most experienced diver in the area and somehow transfer that sense of superiority to every dive boat they board. Every now and then we listen to some ego-fuelled idiot who can't stop blabbing about how they have the best kit and why their particular style of windmilling through the water is superior to standard buoyancy techniques and we just sort of politely nod our heads, try not to laugh, and keep a careful eye on them as 'person most likely to get into trouble during a dive".

Of course - back at the dive centre bar later, we have a beer and laugh our backsides off - and the joke is shared between all the other very cool and lovely divers who were on the boat that day. Fortunately, the rude, arrogant diver is so superior that they cannot possible hang out with such inferior people as the rest of us, and so we get to share our stories while they retire for the evening to polish their egos and upload blurry photos of the butts of terrified fish to their twitterbooks.

Fortunately, although they get everywhere, they are still very much in the minority and most of the divers (and photographers) that I have encountered over the years are genuinely lovely people, passionate about their diving and the preservation of the environment, and even the most inexperienced can see that stupid really is as stupid often does.

Cheers

C.

I suppose I should have put a dancing banana in the post to indicate the juxtaposed position I was taking at judging rudeness based on the equipment one is using.

Jim, I wondered about that too. No waist, blocky squarish physique, grey drysuit... But I know they definitely were a tech diver because they had that sewn onto their shoulder patch.

That happened to me once at my local mudhole. Not sure who the guy was ... and I usually know most of the divers who go there regularly ... but he followed me around the whole dive. As soon as I'd set up for a shot he'd zoom in, shove his GoPro on a stick between my camera and the subject, and sit there for a few seconds ... continually churning the botton with his fins the whole time. By the time he moved off the site was too stirred up for me to get a picture ... and in some cases the subject had swam off in disgust anyway ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,

I'm expecting when I take my UW photography class with you, you teach me how to tackle the other diver properly so that I can continue taking pictures unmolested. :wink:

Kosta

if I met a drunk crossing-dressing Lithuanian with a Samsung phone...

In the immortal words of Bengt Danielsson (in 1947, somewhere in the Pacific): "så'na djur finns inte!" ("such animals don't exist!")

(And if you're at a loss as to what the reference is, read Thor Heyerdahl's book about the Kon-tiki expedition :) )

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Bob,

I'm expecting when I take my UW photography class with you, you teach me how to tackle the other diver properly so that I can continue taking pictures unmolested. :wink:

Kosta

LOL - I found the best way to do that is to get there at 6 AM and get in your dive before they show up ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In the immortal words of Bengt Danielsson (in 1947, somewhere in the Pacific): "så'na djur finns inte!" ("such animals don't exist!")

And you make that proclamation, based on....?

Odds are that there is more than just one such creature.

LOL - I found the best way to do that is to get there at 6 AM and get in your dive before they show up ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Best damned advice EVER.

What you got against Lithuanians??

I was shooting an octopus once, under a cement block using a GoPro on a stick. There was a line attached to the block and while I was recording, the owner (a student I assume as there was nothing to actually run a line to in the vicinity) wound in the reel and actually stood on top of me while untying it. I thought: How can you not see a diver? but I suppose they were task loaded (or narced at 60'). Neither they, nor their buddy, ever acknowledged my existence. Anyway, because of this I believe tech students, or owners of reels, are truly rude divers.

Because of the actions of 1 diver (who I agree was likely NOT a tech diver) on this one occasion, you now consider tech students or owners of reels to be truely rude divers?

Right. So if I met a drunk crossing-dressing Lithuanian with a Samsung phone, I would then know that all Samsung phone users are drunk cross-dressing Lithuanians? Actually that does explain a lot about Uncle Paulus...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Some of my favorites dives have been pre dawn solos on Bonaire. NO other divers at all!
Just me, quietly poking along, watching the reef come awake for the day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom