Rude Divers on the Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I apologize that I neglected to put the sarcasm label, I thought that was obvious but I guess sarcasm clearly doesn't translate well to the written text all the time. I prefer not to solo given the additional risk involved, I fully recognize that some folks are fine with such an arrangement and it is their right to do so. For the record, I am perfectly happy diving with non-GUE divers diving configurations that seem bizarre to me, so long as they are safe divers, but this is not a topic for this thread.

If the photographer needs everyone to wait, then he/she should hire a private guide. All I'm saying that its not too unreasonable to ask the DM to slow down the pace a bit, since in my opinion you do see more by going slower. However if the other people in the group insist on swimming at speeds approximating to a DPV, I'm fine with hopping over to another group. I don't see anything unreasonable with what I'm proposing.

---------- Post added September 11th, 2015 at 04:44 PM ----------

Unfortunately for some divers the pre dive briefing has NO meaning whatsoever. Because they already knew what they would do underwater regardness of what was being said or agreed.

I completely agree here, if it was pre-agreed that there was to be no dawdling and it turns out there was, you are fully justified in getting mad. However, the majority of us (I think?) are not mind readers and it might be helpful to communicate expectations. When I was diving in Grand Cayman, the guides just powered through a preset route within about half an hour if memory serves. I wanted to shoot, but since I had not communicated any expectations for the dive to be slowed down, the only person I can blame for some missed photo ops is myself.

If the DM and group are going for speed over quality, I get myself to the back of the pack and slow down. As long as I can track the group's bubbles, it works for me. Then for the follow-up dives, I have a word with the DM.

If the DM and group are going for speed over quality, I get myself to the back of the pack and slow down. As long as I can track the group's bubbles, it works for me. Then for the follow-up dives, I have a word with the DM.
What is your definition for "speed" and "quality"?
Do you expect the rest of the group to wait 10 mins because a diver found something very interesting and refused to move? And then complaint that he/she was left behind.

So I think we can all agree that photographers tend to want to go too slow and non photographers tend to want go too fast. In reality there are variations. I think you guys are closer together than you think. What is needed is for a happy medium or trying avoid mixing the putposes/preferences of the divers. The problem is more likely to be solved by discussion between the divers on the boat before the splash. Even better to ensure the dive op knows your preferences before you book to it can be arranged to suit.

Perhaps time to talk about some of the other issued mentioned by the OP.

Know it all divers, people interfering with the shot and people being criticle of SAC rates are an annoyance for sure. One thing here stands out to me as a safety issue. Someone grabbing the reg hose to get a diver's attention. :dropmouth:

Really.. that one I find :shocked: first time I have ever heard of anyone doing that. Has anyone else had this happen?

I am pretty defensive of my mask. My eyes are very dry and burn incredibly if they get water in them. I have never come close to having my mask kicked off. I have had a diver or two with lousey bouyancy control come down on top of me and push me into the bottom. That was annoying but the time I got pushed down into the coral and felt some break under me fortunately the DM saw it happen and gave the other diver a rather emphatic lecture. I figured that was fair as the other diver had been diving for years and had heaps of dives up.
Learn how to scuba dive they said. You'll make new friends they said. I think they were lying.

While I have made good friends with a few divers over the last few months and a few great DM's and Instructors I think I am batting a 1000 for sharing boats with genuine rude divers. I've had a fellow diver on a boat lose his ever loving mind, because I used my alternate during a safety stop after biting through the tabs on my primary during the dive. According to him I should have had a snorkel too and I was putting my perma buddy in danger by using the alternate. In fifteen feet (5 meter ) of water he was in so much danger. The DM did step in on that one.

I've had a diver tug my regulator hose to get my attention when my attention wasn't really that mandatory (they weren't my buddy, they weren't in trouble and I have seen a filefish before).

I had an older lady tell me in a round about way that I shouldn't be diving with more experienced divers like her because I got low on air at 55 minutes after a pretty deep dive and we all had to ascend. Like those five minutes were the ruin of her vacation.

And I will never forget the woman who got buck naked in front of my husband because obviously wearing anything under a wet suit is not mandatory.

But this last guy took the cake. I found a cute little cowfish, posing all nice in front of a barrel sponge, so I proceeding to get myself in position for a nice shot, trying my hardest not to scare the little guy. This diver actually shoved me out of the way, using both hands in order to line himself up for a shot. Probably scaring the crap out of the cowfish and totally freaking me out.

So what can you do? I guess I can tell the dive op I won't dive with this person anymore? But they do every dive daily so I won't be diving for a while. I can tell them there actions are inappropriate, but if an adult doesn't know that shoving another adult or getting naked isn't right I'm sure me telling them isn't going to help. I guess I can go to another dive op, but I otherwise like the op.

I have only been diving five months, so it really seems like I have gotten lucky with this boat mates, or is this par for the course and I should just take up shore diving?

What to do with really rude divers?

What is your definition for "speed" and "quality"?
Do you expect the rest of the group to wait 10 mins because a diver found something very interesting and refused to move? And then complaint that he/she was left behind.

Straw man argument, he never said anything about hanging in the same spot for 10 mins.

I'm also a photog, and I never hang around one spot for that amount of time. I have a limited supply of buddies and can't afford to p!ss them off like that. OTOH, going slow but steady gives me a much better chance to spot a nudibranch, or an anglerfish in full camouflage, or a lobster or spiny lobster hiding in a crevice. And even without stopping one moment to take pictures, I see that the majority of divers go faster than I do. Plus, they spot fewer critters.

I make it clear that I am going slow to take photos, no problem at the back of a pack and no problem with losing the main group if they want to make some new underwater swimming records.

I carry an SMB and will shoot the bag when the allotted time for the dive occurs and make my ascent.

Had no issues when diving with Murex, or any Sulawesi dive ops, as well as Anilao and Puerto Galera dive ops.

Locally I know my dive spots and frequently solo dive, just tell the boat captain beforehand how long I plan to be under, which is usually no less than 60 mins

I'm tired of energizer bunny dive guides, whether I have a camera or not. I'm not diving to get a work out. I have the gym for that. Most enjoyable experiences have happened to me when I just enjoy the sights around me rather than desparately seeking out that one rare sea critter just so everyone can gather around it and kick up sand and get tangled in each others gear. Bumper cars is for the amusement park.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Divers like that should employ dedicated guide.

You've got it completely backwards. A diver who doesn't want to do what the majority of the group wants to do should go with a different group. Feel free to blame the dive op if they promised you one thing and then delivered another by accommodating the majority of the group, but the real blame belongs with the diver who didn't make sure they got the dive they wanted.

If you want everyone to agree your requirement/style of diving, try solo.

That's some excellent advice there. Are you smart enough to take it?

So I think we can all agree that photographers tend to want to go too slow and non photographers tend to want go too fast. In reality there are variations. I think you guys are closer together than you think. What is needed is for a happy medium or trying avoid mixing the putposes/preferences of the divers. The problem is more likely to be solved by discussion between the divers on the boat before the splash. Even better to ensure the dive op knows your preferences before you book to it can be arranged to suit.

I don't see it as a problem with either of the two groups, but a problem with a dive op that puts these two groups on the same dive. I haven't done a lot of "vacation" diving, and my UW photography is more snapshots which doesn't really slow things, so I have not been subjected, or subjected anyone else, to this behavior yet. If put in that situation, I doubt that the op would be pleased with how I stay with the group, or my tip should I have a poor time.

Don't get me wrong, I have had a good time diving with photographers, but my head has to be in the right place to enjoy it, as it is not my favorite type of diving.

Bob

Last edited:
Yeah I check with my buddy regularly to see if he is bored and wants to move on when I find something I'm interested in. Then I have been known to spend 30 minutes just watching the fish at a cleaning station while my buddy happily pottered around within visual range. We were shallow and both really enjoyed the dive. Sometimes the greatest thing about a dive is just staying and letting the critters get used to you so they go about their business. You see fascinating things that way. Handy diving with your spouse :)

Back
Top Bottom