Ruined Camera or Camera that Can be Salvaged

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AXL72

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know some of you have had a camera get seawater into the housing and foul up the camer's operation, if not totally rust it out and destroy it.

I got a trickle of water into one of mine. Now the flash and the zoom functions don't work. Although I replaced the camera, is there an economic way to fix it? It works and takes photos, but something shorted and has fouled up the flash and the zoom.

What experince(s) or advice can anybody share on this topic?

I did not know where else to post this, so sorry if I posted in the wrong location.

Hopefully others will find this discussion useful. Yeah, I know, this is like my second post out of 400 or so that has any relevant meaning to diving elated topics. Part of my New Year's resolution :wink:

My personal take is that it is a great excuse to upgrade! On the more economically feasible side, some manufacturers of either the camera or housing can repair or replace the ruined pieces for free or at a discounted price. If the camera is older, they will probably offer you a discounted upgrade. Either way, can't hurt.

I flooded my Sea & Sea MX-10 a few years ago and Sea & Sea repaired it for me. It still cost me, but it was cheaper than a new rig and it worked great afterwards. That one now sits on the shelf and I dive my nice Nikon in an Ikelite housing and love it.

So basically, contact the manufacturer/s and see what they will do for you. Make them tell you no. They probably won't.

Good luck.

I really do not have anything constructive to add, but I saw the name on the previous post and had to add mine below it. Have a great weekend.

Mike

Ha, too funny Port Tack.

Re: original post. I got a few drops on an old Canon S50 (cat hair on O-ring, my cat so my fault), and eventually took the camera chassis completely apart in an attempt to fix it. A circuit board inside the camera got a drop of water in it, and had fried. I checked, and fixing it would be prohibitive relative to the value of a used digital camera, given rapid obsolecense. If yours is a digital, there are so many densely packed and saltwater sensitive electronics that it may not be worth the cost of fixing it. I'm happy with my S70 now...

I've had a camera flood in the past and sent it in to the manufacturer. The camera was traded out for a refurbished model for about a 1/4 of what a new camera would have cost.

justleesa:
I've had a camera flood in the past and sent it in to the manufacturer. The camera was traded out for a refurbished model for about a 1/4 of what a new camera would have cost.
Wow, what manuf?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom