Rules

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is.

This thread is beginning to make me understand how organized religions get started.

Organized religions getting started is usually not a problem ... they fill a specific need at the time, and the folks who start them are usually pretty sincere in their attempt to do something good.

It's what happens to them afterward ... when a segment of members start to feel the need to prove that their "club" is better than everybody elses ... that they become a problem.

And yeah ... I can see some corollaries there with DIR ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Also:

Rule No. 5: Don't dive a rebreather unless you really need it.
Rule No. 6: Always look cool.

Isn't 5 required by 6? :D

On a serious note, could you please explain the reasoning behind 5?

Rebreathers add a lot of issues to a dive. There is simply more to go wrong. Therefore, unless the dive really warrants is (deep, long, some combo of the above), OC is the best bet.

Answered the question perfectly, thanks!

IF rule 4 leads to rule 1 and 2 while rule 5 is an "if" question-is rule 3 the golden rule, and where does that leave rule 6 as rule 1 is an over compensation for rule 6, which could definitely cause
someone to get upset and "call the divers mother!" :D
Get Wet!

Rebreathers add a lot of issues to a dive. There is simply more to go wrong. Therefore, unless the dive really warrants is (deep, long, some combo of the above), OC is the best bet.
Not really...

...no one EVER dies on a rebreather because of the rebreather. It's always user error. If you don't believe me, stop reading alllllllllllllllllllllll those accident reports (and ignore the 1 a month that seem to continue to happen) and talk to some rebreather divers, or better yet someone who sells courses on them :popcorn:

oh i dont say anything about anyone's gear unless they ask me something.
if I see some neat doo-dad on their rig I'll go strike up a conversation and ask them about it. but I dont really care how anyone else dives.

I mean when they're struggling with their rig because of a tank mounted pony bottle and console that's on a retractable line across their chest with pistol grip lights dangling from their right d-ring and octos coming from god knows where while I'm trying to pull their primary or some LP whip out from behind their poodle jacket, and all manner of reels, compasses, and smbs are hanging off of their jacket and they don't have pockets on their dry suit to store some of this stuff.

And then of course, one of their weight pockets will then choose this as an opportune moment to fall out on or near my foot.

I mean when they're struggling with their rig because of a tank mounted pony bottle and console that's on a retractable line across their chest with pistol grip lights dangling from their right d-ring and octos coming from god knows where while I'm trying to pull their primary or some LP whip out from behind their poodle jacket, and all manner of reels, compasses, and smbs are hanging off of their jacket and they don't have pockets on their dry suit to store some of this stuff.

And then of course, one of their weight pockets will then choose this as an opportune moment to fall out on or near my foot.
Frankly, I watch the struggle. Unless someone asks me, I don't put myself at legal risk by helping them gear up or giving advice. I'm not a dive master and I don't have insurance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom