Running Bauer Oceanus E1-PB/208 on household 240v

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDiverRUOK

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I have a Bauer Oceanus E1-PB/208 that I purchased used (was a paintball compressor with low hours) and want to run it at home in my garage. Stupidly, when I bought it I didn't pay attention to the 208 and only focused on the E1 part knowing it was single phase. Now I'm learning more about single phase 208v may be an issue running from a 240v outlet.

I haven't yet installed the outlet from the breaker panel, which is only a few feet from where I want to run the compressor. Can anyone here guide me in what I need to do to make this run off of 240v single phase service?

Thanks!

208 is 3 phase...

This is from inside the control box - says 1-phase 208v

Attachments

• PXL_20221028_193206259.jpg
    PXL_20221028_193206259.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 74
IDK why, but from what I've found, it seems that 208 p1 is a motor that uses 2 of the three legs of a 208 3p source. It seems 240v p1 will not make it happy...

IDK why, but from what I've found, it seems that 208 p1 is a motor that uses 2 of the three legs of a 208 3p source. It seems 240v p1 will not make it happy...

Thanks for the reply - I'm no electrician, just going on what Bauer's documentation says on the 1-phase power and that's what I've seen.

They specify a different application for the 3 phase 208v unit, so I'm trying to find out if this can be made to work on my residential service - either by converting the motor or using a phase converter or...whatever other options might be available. I know people have used phase converters to make 3-phase units work on residential 1-phase power - is that something that might work here?

Hoping others chime in...

It would seem problematic to be using a phase converter, and then only using 1 phase off it to run the motor...

Folks running phase converters are using them to run three phase motors off a single phase source...

My guess is you need to re-power that compressor with a 240v 1p motor...

A distribution panel from a 208 3p service can provide 110 1p, 208 1p, and 208 3p.

I have a piece of 208VAC equipment hooked up to my homes 240VAC. Trick was a small boost transformer. But correctly sizing a boost transformer for a 5HP motor is beyond my knowledge, and possibly even cost prohibitive.

If you can't figure out a transformer, a new motor for it is going to be $500, and you are unlikely to find another solution cheaper then that. ( , mounting holes may or may not line up right).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom