Running low on air and failed safety stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe that my thought process comes from that when I first started diving computers were just starting to show up at dive sites. If I were to guess, I would say that out of 50 divers maybe one would have a computer. My instructor was using an Orca and Uwatec Aladin were just starting to show up at sites. When I ordered my first reg set from Ebay it came with an Oceanic datamax sport (hockey puck with one button). I still was not sold on computers and although I had it and used it I still used tables, to include The Wheel. to plan the dive. So we all had a watch. These days it seems that everyone has a computer as well as for me (have had 6 over the years).

hey folks I'll agree to disagree. Don't get me wrong I get that a medical emergency is best dealt with at the surface. Perhaps its because a lot of the places I dive the option of access to a chamber are slim to no existent that I'm sensitive to even the concept of the panicked diver getting bent.

A similar situation happened to me in November. I have only been diving a for 2 years and I am very conservative in my diving. My buddy ran short on air and signaled that he wanted to surface. I began my normal ascent but he was not in my view. I stopped for my safety stop and then while I was waiting he "attacked me from behind", grabbed my octo and bolted to the top dragging me along. I did not know what was happening. My computer was screaming slow down. I still could not see him and instinctively pulled away, pulling my octo from him (unintentionally). He had pulled me to the surface and when I turned I saw him struggling/panicking on the surface. I had literally just finished my rescue course within the last month and got the situation under control. My concern was that I did not get to finish my safety stop. I talked to my dive instructor that evening. He reminded me that the safety stop is just that, a "safety" stop and not required in NDL diving. As long as we stay within those limits, if we have an emergency we have a buffer that should protect us.

When we got back on the boat we talked but I did not degrade him. I did talk to him about how serious it could have been for both of us. He already felt bad for the mistakes and I did not want him to avoid diving or avoid me because he made a mistake. We talked about it more when we got back to shore mostly on how he could have avoided the problem and how it could have been handled better with communication under water without waiting until the last minute.

We talked about it more when we got back to shore mostly on how he could have avoided the problem and how it could have been handled better with communication under water without waiting until the last minute.

Reading your story - I am wondering if I would be so understanding or if I would want to dive with them again. Panic is just that - overwhelming fear that can not be controlled. Two things come to mind - one for their safety they need to take a hard look at why they dive and two for your safety - it happened once, it can and may happen again... I am not sure what if anything changed that would prevent this from happening again to this individual. I would certainly be mindful in the future with this person.

I had an experience many years ago, where a relatively novice (around 50 dives) but previously entirely reliable buddy, had his mask flood during a dive and completely lost it. He didn't bolt, per se; he wheeled around and took off upslope for shore, at a speed neither of his buddies could match. He had not communicated with us that he had a problem, and we didn't have a clue as to why he had done what he did. We executed the "lost buddy" protocol and surfaced, a long way from shore, only to watch him get out of the water and head for the cars.

He was so shaken by the experience that he considered quitting diving, but instead, with the help of friends, he worked through the issue and became a very solid diver, eventually successfully completing a Trimix class with Andrew Georgitsis, and if any of you know AG, you know he tolerated an almost ridiculous amount of stress to do that.

We all have the possibility of panic. Hit somebody with sufficient stress when it is not expected, and the results may be far from ideal. I don't think an experience of irrational behavior in the water is an indication that the person is or will remain an unreliable or undesirable dive buddy. What makes the difference is how they react to the episode.

I don't think an experience of irrational behavior in the water is an indication that the person is or will remain an unreliable or undesirable dive buddy. What makes the difference is how they react to the episode.

Your point is valid - however I would not be the one talking anyone into diving again after a performance like that. I would not want that on my conscience should something happen again.

I am a volunteer fireman - fighting fires is not for everyone - you either suck it up and do your job or you need to gracefully back out. My life depends on you being there - if you panic - I may pay the price. I am not going to hold your hand in a fire waiting for you to figure it out.

I kind of have the same patience for those that I dive with as well. My son withstanding - I will do what I can to help him but not push him into diving beyond his abilities...

Reading your story - I am wondering if I would be so understanding or if I would want to dive with them again. Panic is just that - overwhelming fear that can not be controlled. Two things come to mind - one for their safety they need to take a hard look at why they dive and two for your safety - it happened once, it can and may happen again... I am not sure what if anything changed that would prevent this from happening again to this individual. I would certainly be mindful in the future with this person.

I'm not sure that just because a person panics once in a situation they are likely to do so again. Panic can arise due to unfamiliarity with the situation, not just fear per se. A person who doesn't know how to deal with a low air situation and is scared/stressed may panic and bolt for the surface, but with appropriate training they may well be able to deal with the situation in the future.
I guess it would not be a good idea for someone with a general propensity for panic to dive, but one episode can happen to anyone.

I'm not sure that just because a person panics once in a situation they are likely to do so again.

They are now one step closer to always panicing than to never panicing. Should you choose to dive with that person again you should be wary that is the only point I make. It is completely up to them should they chose to enter the water again.

A few years ago, I was getting ready to do a stage dive into an unfamiliar cave. I put the stage regulator in my mouth and dropped . . . and about six feet underwater, ran out of gas. I was amazed at the reaction -- my body FLOODED with adrenaline and I immediately began kicking frantically for the surface. There was no thought at all involved. It probably took less than a second (I mean, I pretty know it did, because I didn't make the surface) before my rational brain said, "You idiot, you forgot to turn your gas on," and I reached across and opened the valve on the tank.

We can all panic. I still believe that it's what you DO with that experience that defines you going forward.

"You idiot, you forgot to turn your gas on," and I reached across and opened the valve on the tank. We can all panic. I still believe that it's what you DO with that experience that defines you going forward.

I am not sure you panicked - perhaps you did - but you sorted it out quickly because you had to and you were confident in your training / self to come through it. A more thorough Pre Check would / could have caught that issue as I am sure that you do now - at least you seem to tell folks about the importance of pre checks, team work and good habits. So that is covered.

The story was someone that went OOG - they put the octo in the mouth, they were breathing at that point hence the emergency was somewhat in check and then proceeded to "claw" their way with the OP to the surface. That is not a single one time issue in my mind - that is a series of errors that could have compounded itself on two folks - or at least that is how I see it. Perhaps if they looked deep - they might find they are not comfortable under the water where you know you can hurt yourself. I have seen those instances and on one occasion the person (my sister) stopped diving. Diving / confidence / self sufficiency are somewhat related to me. Not boastful over confidence but confidence that you have practiced and trained enough that you know where you are - where the nearest person is (maybe not your buddy) to get air or have left yourself enough room to get to the surface safely. Or have seen some things that keep you situationally aware - no matter what - because if you are deep enough - you may only have one shot at saving yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom