Russia - instructor caused divers death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man is that an unpleasant thought....but it certainly gets the point accross :wink:
Haha, indeed :D
Glad im not the pool cleaner :p

Diapers in the pool? :no: It might decrease the Viz :dork2:

Attachments

• sign1.jpg
    sign1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 49
  • pool_poop.jpg
    pool_poop.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 45
What? Warhammer (I will keep the picture off the board though :D) where?

OK...BACK TO TOPIC :D.

I do believe that it is imperative that ANY diver out there that is not confident enough to approach any and all dives that they do as one that they can control, to get more instruction. You need to be a competent enough diver to call a dive on your own and know how to surface safely, problem solve at depth and more importantly get yourself back to (or at least close to) where you started. ALL of this with your buddy.

If a diver cannot do these things, I would strongly recommend that they hold off on doing the dives until they can. Stick to shallow and open sites. Get the appropriate equipment and practice using it (such as an SMB or SS or both). Bottom line is, it does not matter how many of these threads happen and how many people blame the DM/Instructor, YOU are right there when it happens to you. There is not need to wait for any help to arrive from no matter how close or far away. Be responsible for yourself and your own dive.

Nahhhh....I think all OW divers should sign up for AOW classes as soon as they have the required number of dives...so we can continue to read stories like this of people(I won't call them divers) panicking and showing how they WEREN'T ready for AOW.

I just assumed it was a word that didn't translate well to English. I don't suspect a buoyant ascent on the part of the diver who went missing because if he had made a buoyant ascent he wouldn't have sank back underwater again like he did.... At least I can't visualize how.

The splashing on the surface with the hand that they reported would generally be more indicative of someone who made an emergency ascent, got to the surface in a state of panic and was unable to establish positive buoyancy.

R..

Forgive my ignorance, for I am not a certified drysuit diver, but can an over-inflated drysuit explode during an uncontrolled ascent from a depth of 60ft?

Perhaps the diver panicked, wanted the surface, over-inflated the drysuit which rocketed him to the top so fast he appreared to "jump" out of the water, whereupon the drysuit ruptured, flooded, and caused him to thrash about in a vain attempt to remain bouyant, and now...drastically overweighted, rapidly sink back to the bottom?

Forgive my ignorance, for I am not a certified drysuit diver, but can an over-inflated drysuit explode during an uncontrolled ascent from a depth of 60ft?

Perhaps the diver panicked, wanted the surface, over-inflated the drysuit which rocketed him to the top so fast he appreared to "jump" out of the water, whereupon the drysuit ruptured, flooded, and caused him to thrash about in a vain attempt to remain bouyant, and now...drastically overweighted, rapidly sink back to the bottom?

Not likely to explode as there is dump valve, the neck seal will burp air, the wrist seals might also. It could however assist in a rocket ascent by not dumping air fast enough in which case the diver would look like the Pillsbury doughboy. My guess is he was not ready for AOW and was drastically overweighted to begin with. Once he cleared the surface the valves and neck seal venting would catch up with the ascent and now not having enough air in the suit to remain buoyant or is his bc dropped back down. Now the squeeze would kick in and since his OW training was most likely piss poor to begin with he was unable to correct the situation and died as a result. It all goes back to OW training. Dumb the courses down, neglect a proper education, rush em through, and then tell em they are ready for AOW right away. This is what happens.

Don't mean to be pedantic, but could the Mod please change the title of this thread? You've gone to a lot of effort to keep this thread objective, but the title is still pretty inflammatory.

Thanks!
Trish

To stir the pot abit. I read from the translated post that the victim jumped out of the water before sinking as fast.
QUOTE]

I tanslate the term ("vyskochnil") as "shot to the surface."

The instructor's account (if it is actually that) was posted on Tetis, the Russian language diving board.

Back
Top Bottom