rx100 and ys-90dx strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

strap-hanger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
can anyone tell whats settings my ys-90dx strobes should be set to when shooting with the rx100? my first dive the strobes were firing but all pics had no color. currently thevstrobes are set TTL.

should i have the strobes set to the pre setting instead of TTL?

I tried my rx100 and the DS ttl doesn't seem to be working at best
I would not assume your older YS-DX90 will work either
I would expect very new ones like YS-DS1 to work but I would check with sea and sea
It would be interesting to hear from Inon users as their strobes have different logic

The YS-90DX ttl setting is for using it with a cord. You need to set it as a slave. I'm not sure if it will do S-ttl. Try it on land by leaving the strobe settings the same and change the shutter and aperture up and down. Some of the new cameras have multiple flash signals that older strobes don't understand. Shoot it at a mirror set on slave. If the flash doesn't show in your picture, you might check and see if the camera has a slave flash setting.

I think larry is right on this strobe you have only sync cord based ttl
So your only option is to set it to preflash on (as the rx100 always has preflash) and bracket on the strobe
Put the camera in fill flash with flash exposure compensation to -2 in the hope it doesn't dump the internal strobe too much taking ages to get ready for the next shot

setting it to pre-flash seems to fire the strobes when the shutter is open. i tested this in a dark room and pre-flash setting was the onky time the pic showed the strobes firing.

im now interested if there is a better strobe setup for the rx100 to get ttl?

I've heard that the inon strobes will synch with it on sttl.

As for the internal flash, I thought that it ddn't have different power settings.... just on or off.

If you mean the RX100 flash, there is a menu item for flash compensation. I set mine to -2 when playing with a Patima housing and INON S2000.
I only tested for 30 minutes in a pool, but STTL seemed to work.
Complete writeup is here, #9

If you mean the RX100 flash, there is a menu item for flash compensation. I set mine to -2 when playing with a Patima housing and INON S2000.
I only tested for 30 minutes in a pool, but STTL seemed to work.
Complete writeup is here, #9

I've been following that thread as well.... but I'm not referring to compensation. The cameras I have used have different power setting for the flash so that when set to a lower setting (say 1/4 power) the housing doesn't heat up as quickly and the battery last longer. In reading about the rx100, it seems that the only power setting for the flash are on, off or auto.

Answer to coralcruiser the RX100 does not have a manual flash mode so the internal flash will always TTL
If you attach an external strobe that does not have a Slave TTL type you can set the camera flash exposure compensation to -2 and then bracket on the strobe until you reach the exposure you want. Obviously you need to shoot in manual for this to make sense
With an external strobe with some form of S-TTL you should not touch the exposure compensation unless the pictures come systematically over or underexposed. Even in that case you should try with the strobe settings first
Sea and Sea YS-01,YS-D1 and all the Inon series are reported to fire in slave TTL however performance may vary both in terms of quality of the overall exposure but especially in terms of (internal) strobe cycle time

Back
Top Bottom