RX100 M2 Died - New Cam Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kyley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,
First off, not sure what happened to my RX100 M2, but it works for awhile, then completely quits focusing, adjusting white balance, etc. I guess I should ask - is it worth trying to get repaired?

Anyway, I'm trying to be frugal (reasonably priced camera and housing - the basic plastic ones have worked fine for me), and I want to keep it small and portable (no SLR); good for general photography too. This summer I'm doing my first big overseas trip with diving in Palau and Sipadan, plus tourism time in Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam. :) I need to pack light, so I probably won't be using strobes either (never have, yet), but it would be nice to have that option.

So, any suggestions for cam and housing? Newer model RX100? Panasonic LX10/100? A Canon like the G7X? Or would I be happy with the Olympus TG5 for quite a bit less and not even need a case for shallow dives? I like shooting macro, and I'm hoping to encounter some big pelagics in Palau and Sipadan. But I'm just a casual hobbyist wanting to capture the amazing things I see while diving. Thanks for your thoughts!
--Kyle

Okay, partly answering my own post after a little research:
RX100 V is off the list. Way too expensive.
Olympus TG5 seems to be inferior in picture quality, resolution, and not always waterproof. Still tempting to save $.
Panasonic LX10 sounds pretty good, but the focusing seems to be very slow and not very good image stabilization.
Canon G7-X Mark II is looking better to me. Great quality, 1" sensor, reasonably priced, but no 4k video.

I'm starting to think maybe the G7-X (I need to look into the differences between this and the Mark II) or an older RX100. Possibly the same one I had (then I don't have to buy a housing). I assume the RX100 III or IV wouldn't fit in the housing from my RX100 M2 (Meikon)? Thanks,
--Kyle

Least expensive option would be to get another RX100 II, since you already have a housing for it, and the housing (assuming it's not Meikon's universal model released last year) won't work with any other RX100 model.

If you're looking for both underwater and topside photography, I would consider mirrorless - a Sony A6000 with 16-50mm and 55-210mm lenses is not too expensive, and still quite compact and lightweight. You can take it underwater in a Meikon housing with the 16-50mm lens, and mount the 55-210mm topside for wildlife and such. The APS-C sensor has a significant advantage over 1" when shooting in low light as well.

Thanks! I have a Canon SLR - someday I'll upgrade to a mirrorless.

Another RX100 would work, but it's always nice to "upgrade" as well... :)

The Canon sounds pretty nice for me as an all-around travel camera + dive camera. Think the Meikon / CamDive housing is sufficient? Half the price, and I've been satisfied with the Meikon for my Sony...

But after reading this about the Olympus TG-5, I'm intrigued by it and its macro capabilities as well!
Olympus TG-5 and PT-058 Underwater Camera and Housing Review - Underwater Photography - Backscatter

Thanks,
--Kyle

I will 2nd either getting another RX100M2 or getting a used RX100M4. You are already familiar with how it works, the menus, etc. You will have to spend the least to get back into it if you get a M2. Even if the M5 weren't so expensive, a lot of my research mentioned the battery life was not as good as the M4 and the better focus situation was going to be negligible underwater and in a housing. The battery life is more of a dealbreaker than anything. With that said, you already have a Canon DSLR so you would also be comfortable with the Canon option.

If you have been shooting in manual on the RX you may not be happy with the lack of full manual on the TG5. It's a bit more limited. Without a macro lens/diopter, the TG5 is supposed to take really good macros.

If you're looking for both underwater and topside photography, I would consider mirrorless - a Sony A6000 with 16-50mm and 55-210mm lenses is not too expensive, and still quite compact and lightweight. You can take it underwater in a Meikon housing with the 16-50mm lens, and mount the 55-210mm topside for wildlife and such. The APS-C sensor has a significant advantage over 1" when shooting in low light as well.

Actually, thanks for pointing that out. It looks like the A6000 merits a closer look... :) Cheers,
--Kyle

I will 2nd either getting another RX100M2 or getting a used RX100M4. You are already familiar with how it works, the menus, etc. You will have to spend the least to get back into it if you get a M2. Even if the M5 weren't so expensive, a lot of my research mentioned the battery life was not as good as the M4 and the better focus situation was going to be negligible underwater and in a housing. The battery life is more of a dealbreaker than anything. With that said, you already have a Canon DSLR so you would also be comfortable with the Canon option.

If you have been shooting in manual on the RX you may not be happy with the lack of full manual on the TG5. It's a bit more limited. Without a macro lens/diopter, the TG5 is supposed to take really good macros.

Thanks, good thoughts. I also saw a note about the battery being worse on the RX100 M5. I think the RX100 M4 was still up there in price, but I'll take another look. Sounds like there are a lot of good options for me anyway.

For underwater, I don't mess with as much manual controls other than setting white balance and ISO. I've never used strobes, but I'm starting to think maybe I should invest in an inexpensive strobe / handle setup just to test the waters. I live in Kansas City, so diving is typically a once or twice a year event. Dumping a lot of money in is hard to justify, but it's nice to have great pics from my dives. :) Thanks again,
--Kyle

Thanks, good thoughts. I also saw a note about the battery being worse on the RX100 M5. I think the RX100 M4 was still up there in price, but I'll take another look. Sounds like there are a lot of good options for me anyway.

For underwater, I don't mess with as much manual controls other than setting white balance and ISO. I've never used strobes, but I'm starting to think maybe I should invest in an inexpensive strobe / handle setup just to test the waters. I live in Kansas City, so diving is typically a once or twice a year event. Dumping a lot of money in is hard to justify, but it's nice to have great pics from my dives. :) Thanks again,
--Kyle

Hi, Kyle.

I purchased my M4 on ebay. Sometimes, you can get really good open box pricing from Best Buy online as well. They are very competitively priced. I want to say I got my M4 from ebay in excellent condition (no physical damage) for about $550 last year. Check completed listings to see the price trends. There is also a UW Photography Buy and Sell group on Facebook - someone was selling a M3 full set (camera, housing, strobes, sync cords....everything) recently but was willing to sell in pieces as well. That might be another option in addition to the Classifieds here. Sometimes they are also posted in the Facebook group Scuba Swap and Shop.

Given how frequently you dive and what your budget may be, I really suggest getting lightly used strobes rather than new if you get them. I have seen really great deals in the past few weeks on strobes alone. 2 is ideal, but 1 will work. There is nothing wrong with these strobes - people change their minds or upgrade, etc. At the very least, if not strobes, maybe getting a video light that you can mount on the cold shoe of your camera. It's better than no light or strobes. :) You can then use it as a dive light when not on your camera or when you move to strobes, you can keep it as a video light or a focus light.

I'm interested to hear what you decide..Please keep us posted! :)

Given how frequently you dive and what your budget may be, I really suggest getting lightly used strobes rather than new if you get them. I have seen really great deals in the past few weeks on strobes alone. 2 is ideal, but 1 will work. There is nothing wrong with these strobes - people change their minds or upgrade, etc. At the very least, if not strobes, maybe getting a video light that you can mount on the cold shoe of your camera. It's better than no light or strobes. :) You can then use it as a dive light when not on your camera or when you move to strobes, you can keep it as a video light or a focus light.

Thanks for all the feedback! I won't do any diving until the end of May (in Puerto Vallarta - not sure if there's much to see diving there) and then my big trip is in July, so I have some time to think / look for deals.

As far as strobes go, do you have any particular suggestions that are inexpensive, but adequate? I know much less about what to look for there than with cameras themselves. I stumbled on this one (just caught my eye because it's everything in one), but it seems pricey (although I realize a lot of options are a lot more):
https://www.amazon.com/Sea-YS-03-Un...00PL58M0E/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Are strobes and focus/video lights always separate, or can they be in one light? Thanks,
--Kyle

Meikon makes a budget-priced strobe now - SeaFrogs ST 100 Waterproof Flash strobe for A6500 A6000 A7 II RX100 I/II/ III/IV/V underwater Camera Housings Diving Case -in Flashes from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group - I don't have any personal experience with it, but that's what I'm planning to get once I'm ready for strobes.

Many strobes (including the one I linked above) have a focus light, but this is only used to aid focusing, not for shooting video. i-Torch makes a Symbiosis combination strobe and video light, but at $700, it's quite expensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom