?'s about certs and schools....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tafty50

New
Reaction score
Hi!..I'm new to the group and have a "few hundred" question's :06: : First, both my husband and I are actively seeking how to become open water certified. We live in upstate New York, and have found a reputable dive shop which we would consider getting certified at. This particular shop certifies in SSI? What exactly is the deffernece between PADI and SSI, and is one better/worse than the other? Are they compatible and/or interchangeable??

Second, we also looked into becoming certified while down in Belize in March 2006. I noticed that the classes here in NY run over a time period of a few weeks (most classes are 1-2 nights a week) and then you do your dives in the pool and in the local lakes. A place in Belize we looked at was a small private family run business, both husband and wife are dive masters and the class would be my husband and I and the instructors. The class would be 2 full days and 2 half days and you're done with your cert. Is there trouble with becoming cert. this way? I'm a little concerned about the limited time frame and the info that needs to be learned. Any opinions?

Also, is one certification better thatn the other? PADI vs SSI vs NAUI? I've been kinda looking at other posts and have seen some different certs I didn't know about, PADI is the one I most often hear.

Anyone's opinion and or help with the above would be greatly welcomed!!! I'm trying to do the right thing from the begining!!! THANK YOU :wink:

tafty50:
Hi!..I'm new to the group and have a "few hundred" question's :06: : First, both my husband and I are actively seeking how to become open water certified. We live in upstate New York, and have found a reputable dive shop which we would consider getting certified at. This particular shop certifies in SSI? What exactly is the deffernece between PADI and SSI, and is one better/worse than the other? Are they compatible and/or interchangeable??

Second, we also looked into becoming certified while down in Belize in March 2006. I noticed that the classes here in NY run over a time period of a few weeks (most classes are 1-2 nights a week) and then you do your dives in the pool and in the local lakes. A place in Belize we looked at was a small private family run business, both husband and wife are dive masters and the class would be my husband and I and the instructors. The class would be 2 full days and 2 half days and you're done with your cert. Is there trouble with becoming cert. this way? I'm a little concerned about the limited time frame and the info that needs to be learned. Any opinions?

Also, is one certification better thatn the other? PADI vs SSI vs NAUI? I've been kinda looking at other posts and have seen some different certs I didn't know about, PADI is the one I most often hear.

Anyone's opinion and or help with the above would be greatly welcomed!!! I'm trying to do the right thing from the begining!!! THANK YOU :wink:
What you are looking for is time in the water. 12 hours in the pool, which gives you plenty of practice time so you actually develop skills, and OW cert dives that are 40 to 60 minutes long, which means you get plenty of time to actually dive. If you can, ask how much science they are going to teach you. Its simple, basic stuff, but it is the basis for the rules of diving safely.

Schools & Certs
tafty50:

Let me start by saying welcome to the diving world. I was reading your post and wanted to lend you some good advice. First of all. Diving is like anything else you get into. It's full of people with allot of personal opinions. You have to remember, any certification agency is a business. NO ONE DOES IT FOR FREE, and if they do? You have to ask yourself what your worth?? All of the agencies that are in the R.S.T.C. have to meet or exceed minimum standards for teaching. The R.S.T.C. stands for (recreational scuba training council) The agencies that belong to this are as follows-
PADI, PDIC, SSI, IDEA, YMCA & SDI. SDI was just voted in to the RSTC a couple of months ago. All of the agencies listed here are good agencies. Some have been around longer than others. What you really need to look for is the quality of the instructor. Thats the secret.... You want to try to find an instructor who has been around for awhile. One that will take the time to tell you what you need to know about the sport. I know from experience that dive instruction has gone through some big changes over the last couple of years. Some people teach less, and others teach more. I was told two weeks ago that I over teach. Well, I didn't know you could over teach. I was told an open water student didn't need to know some of the things I was teaching. Well, I guess I over teach.
Anyway, look into how long your instructor has been teaching, how many students he has done, and if he continues to advance his education. Some instructors I know still use very old equipment, and don't stay up on the latest teaching techs. But then again, some instructors and dive masters don't even know what the R.S.T.C. is.
You should take your time in the class and learn all you can from your instructor. After you get certified, then go out and really learn how to dive. So many people get the card and then dive a couple of times. Then they don't dive for a long time. Don't do a three day class!! You can get certified in that three days. However, you won't retain everything you need to know. Take your time and do it right!! You'll be glad you did. I teach allot of classes, and I even teach instructor classes here in Florida. I can tell you the worse thing you can do is a quick class. If any instructor tells you different, or anyone for that fact. You tell them I have a test for them to take. If you have any other questions. Please feel free to E-Mail me at tonyd1963@hotmail.com
Good luck with your hunt for a good instructor. There are allot of them out there.

TONY "D"
Instructor Trainer

tafty50:
What exactly is the difference between PADI and SSI, and is one better/worse than the other? Are they compatible and/or interchangeable?
I noticed that the classes here in NY run over a time period of a few weeks (most classes are 1-2 nights a week) and then you do your dives in the pool and in the local lakes. A place in Belize we looked at was a small private family run business, both husband and wife are dive masters and the class would be my husband and I and the instructors. The class would be 2 full days and 2 half days and you're done with your cert. Is there trouble with becoming cert. this way?
Kudos on doing research before starting, Tafty, and on your long timeframe!

As to whether there's a "better or worse" between learning SSI or PADI: Not much difference when compared to the huge differences among instructors and facilities, in teaching approach, in personal attention, and in time spent working on the basics. The better teachers will put in the time required to get you competent and confident. If you're not confident at the end, you won't go diving, c-card or no. So I'll second JBD's "time in the water" and add "with a good teacher."

PADI and NAUI have been around a lot longer than SSI. I work with an SSI shop in Oregon, as assistant instructor, and one big difference with SSI is that we can't teach independently--we have to teach through an SSI-affiliated dive shop.

When my sister and her boyfriend learned, they took a course near home (Southern California) and then did their checkout dives in Belize. There's a widespread "referral" program to make that process easy, but it's not the cheapest route--you pay for the lessons at home, then pay for the checkouts in warm water.

On the other hand, one problem with checkout dives at home is that the water's cold. This can mean shorter and shallower dives, doing the minimum allowed to get certified. Four days in warm water with one-on-one instruction (two of you, two dive instructors) could work if they're good teachers.

But if you learn this year, a couple-dozen dives before you go to Belize could get you going gangbusters. Buoyancy control is a must (to stay off the coral, among other things) and the increased confidence can make all the difference in how much you enjoy your diving.

I love hearing that Tony "overteaches." Our shop's oldest instructor is not shy about not passing students who aren't ready to dive at the end--he asks them to repeat the course. It's not uncommon to see discussions here that bemoan how short open water courses are, and how varied the results.

Best thing you can do is to interview the instructors. Find one that's not just starting out, one you think will work with you, one who inspires confidence. Then get all three of them into the pool with you :)

tafty50:
Also, is one certification better than the other? PADI vs SSI vs NAUI? I've been kinda looking at other posts and have seen some different certs I didn't know about, PADI is the one I most often hear.
Once you're certifiied, it's just a question of whether or not an operator (dive shop, dive boat) accepts your c-card (and perhaps looks at your dive log) as valid proof of competency. SSI, PADI, and NAUI are all equally accepted at resorts around the world, as far as I know. I believe PADI's been teaching since the start of the industrial revolution, so there are a lot of PADI cards out there.

Let us know what you decide, and how it goes!
Bryan

tafty50:
What exactly is the deffernece between PADI and SSI, and is one better/worse than the other? Are they compatible and/or interchangeable??

PADI is the biggest, which doesn't necissarily translate to the best. From the Open Water standpoint, they are all pretty much the same. I believe SSI's Advanced program is better because it relates to experience, where you can become a PADI AOW diver with 9 dives. At the rescue level, I think YMCA is the best.

tafty50:

I'm a big fan of the multi-week program myself. People who are competant in the water can pass in a weekend, but people who do the multi-week approach come out as better divers IMHO.

tafty50:

No. A card is a card is a card. Do what looks like the best class for you with the best instructor.

James

Tafty, the referral program that Bryan mentioned would be my choice. You get the groundwork done at home without pressure of having to get it done in 2 days. Then you do your checkout dives in Belize, which translates into 4 guided dives. It is a little more expensive, but it gives you the best of both worlds - no rush and warm water. Most places will also accept referrals from other agencies. Double check with the folks in Belize, but it shouldn't be a problem. You will end up with a card from their certifying agency. As has been said here and in many other threads, it's the instructor that makes the difference. I think the class and pool instructor has the most important job, even more so than the open water instructor.

First, Will you be certified after completion of you SSI course in NY?

You may NOT be able to take the coursework, tests, and poolwork with SSI, and then do a referral with PADI to complete the OW dives, so check with the Dive OP. Also keep in mind the timeframe, as you MUST complete the diving within a year of the coursework, and will need a refresher I believe if it's longer than 6 months.

PADI is the biggest. That does not mean the best.

The Belize class and Certification sounds very much like a full OW PADI certification to me. As for how much time you spend in the classroom, PADI requires all the classroom work and section worksheets to be completed PRIOR to taking the class. I guess if you are an individual who does NOT learn well without one on one interaction, then this approach maybe less desirable vs. more time in a classroom.

The PADI OW book is over 250 pages. IMO, you get out of it what you put into it. The PADI testing is rather easy (multiple choice) and a passing grade is 75% or better, so NOT hard. The pool work is also not all that difficult, but I guess then again, it depends. If you have a paticular skill that you just can not get (mask clearing for example) than the instructor would work on that with you. For PADI there are four OW dives that are required for OW certification. All skills must be successfully completed to pass.

I can not comment on other agencies other than to say they appear to all have similar coursework, and pool/diving requirements.

Good Luck,

tafty50:

As most have said there is NO major difference in Agencies but there is a HUGE difference in Instructors, any of the Big name agencies (NAUI, PADI, SSI...)you shouldn't have any problems diving anywhere in the world. BUT the level of instruction will vary greatly depending on you Ins. Don't settle for the first one you meet, or the cheapest (remember this is life support skills you are learning , do you want the economy version???) Talk to a # of different Instructors, find the one who you are comfortable with that will TEACH you what you NEED and spend the time to make sure you have it RIGHT not just ok. I know this was said in the precedeing posts, but it is the BEST advice you will get! You INS will play a HUGE role in your diving, learning it right the first time saves allot of misery later on.
To answer you Q should you take classes here or there I would advise you to take the course here over a few weeks (some of the 250 pgs in the PADI {and I am sure the other agency} books deal with some topics that may take some time to absorb so having time to study and practice goes a long way) Plus do you really want to be STUDYING and taking tests on your Vacation??
Now as was mentioned by a few others you can take your course here but do your open water cert dives while on vac. That is 100% your call, doing a referral dive ( =take training at home do OW cert dives abroad) will cost more but it is just as good a
way to be certified as doing it all at home. You get the time needed to learn and practice at home, but get to dive in a much more beautiful environment.
Either way, doing the whole course here or doing a referral you'll love it.
DIVE SAFE
and welcome to the wonderful world of bubbles

Everyone has offered good advice. Here are a few more points

In an ideal world, the best thing would be for you to establish a relationship with with a local shop and it's instructors and maybe it's associated dive club. do a lot of local diving and get to know the local divers. The #1 thing to keep in mind is that OW certification is NOT the end of it. Getting that OW Cert. is the beginning. It's a "lerner's permit".

My advice is to join a club and after OW class dive with them so you can learn from the more experianced diveres. Then after a half dozen or dozen dives take the AOW class. But above all else dive frequently (easy for me to say as I live 5 minutes from the ocean.)

I'd take the class locally. Part of OW class process is learning about local diving and meeting other divers. You'd miss that in a resort class. But buy all means take a class at the resort if you want. Do a specialty class like photo, navigation, "night dive" or whatever. Either of these classes will have yo in the water with an instructorand and you will learn.

Also in a resort class you would learn to dive in warm water. Sounds nice but then you come home and would have to have someone help you learn about how to suit up and weight yourself for chilli local water. Yes it's different. If I were a new OW diver with only 6 or 8
post certification dives comming home to water in the 50's I'd seek out instruction before I jumpped in. Or at least get seek out good advice.

tafty50:

Hi. I'm not an instructor, like most of those posting, just a regular sport diver. Although originally YMCA certified I have done a lot of diving with PADI and for the most part was very impressed. Quality of instruction depends more on the individual, some are just better and more careful teachers than others. My girl friend did the referral OW. She never completed, but that's not anyone at PADI's fault. What part of upstate New York? We are outside Albany area. We too are visiting Belize in early March. Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom