• Only with a new buddy

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Once in a great while

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • What is an S drill???

Votes: 5 12.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafool

Contributor
Reaction score
My question is, how often do you practice an air share drill?

Every dive?

Very regularly, with a deployment check of your 7' hose every dive?

Regularly(ie, every 3-4 dives)?

Sometimes?

Always when diving with a new buddy?

What is an S-drill?

We dive a couple of times almost every month, and about every 4-5 months we go back into the pool and review and practice all of the safety stuff. We both have over 100 dives.

Every dive, although we don't always breathe off each other's regs, as we know the longhose works and we breathe off the backup during the drill.

Every cave dive.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
Every cave dive.
Rick

Not being critical; I am truly curious. Why only when you dive a cave, or am I misunderstanding?

OneBrightGator:
Every dive, although we don't always breathe off each other's regs, as we know the longhose works and we breathe off the backup during the drill.

So you submerge, deploy the long hose, & switch to your backup, but don't actually breathe your buddy's primary?

I love voting! :)

scubafool:
Not being critical; I am truly curious. Why only when you dive a cave, or am I misunderstanding?
Uh, this is the cave diving forum, yes?
But a more accurate answer might be "Every cave or wreck penetration dive, and most but not all OW dives where we're diving the long hose. Absolutely on any dive where an OOA situation may require a tandem exit."
I rarely ever do an "S" drill (and even more rarely use a long hose) when tropical reef sightseeing on a recreational no-deco dive. I do breathe off all deco and stage/travel bottles in the water before going below their respective MODs, whether an "S" drill is done or not.
Rick

scubafool:
So you submerge, deploy the long hose, & switch to your backup, but don't actually breathe your buddy's primary?
Yep, we drop down, switch regs, fully deploy the longhose just like normal, but since I just saw you breathing off it and you're going to be breathing off it during the whole dive I have faith it works.

I'll sneak in here, not being a cave diver an all.

S-Drill on every dive where a hard or soft ceiling is planned.

(hard = wreck or cave if we had caves here, soft = deco)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom