Ascend drills - how many is too many?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is really playing with my OCD inner self that's screaming "equal to"!

Unless you're including submarine escape drills where there's no descent.
Could you argue that if you do a multi level dive you had multiple ascents? :)

Could you argue that if you do a multi level dive you had multiple ascents? :)
The multiple ascent problem is that in between the multiple ascents there are multiple descents. That creates the sawtooth profile that DDM mentioned earlier. IN a multi-level dive, you don't keep going back to the deepest point.

The multiple ascent problem is that in between the multiple ascents there are multiple descents. That creates the sawtooth profile that DDM mentioned earlier. IN a multi-level dive, you don't keep going back to the deepest point.
That final 6m/20ft if repeated doesn't half play havoc with one's Eustachian tubes. Almost guaranteed to block after a couple of surface ascents.

That final 6m/20ft if repeated doesn't half play havoc with one's Eustachian tubes. Almost guaranteed to block after a couple of surface ascents.
That's not necessarily true at all! Freedivers and spearfisherman make many ascents each day - (usually all to the surface) without this occurring. Often 20 or 40 times a day, maybe even more when diving less than 30 feet.

That's not necessarily true at all! Freedivers and spearfisherman make many ascents each day - (usually all to the surface) without this occurring. Often 20 or 40 times a day, maybe even more when diving less than 30 feet.
Is for me! A day in a training lake with a couple of ascents in a single dive really blocks my ears.

300 spearfishing dives don't bother me, 10 up/down dives to 5 meters on scuba make my ears yell at me, no idea why.

Is for me! A day in a training lake with a couple of ascents in a single dive really blocks my ears
I tend to agree with the concept that it would be safer to practice ascents from the deep, if they stopped at 20 or 30 feet. if you do the deep part, where it is presumably more stressful AND you can completely stop at say 25 feet, that should show a greater mastery of the skill and help reduce the decompression stress on the divers (and their ears). However, when people make generalizations based only on their own idiosyncrasies, it often doesn't apply to everyone.

Back
Top Bottom