Ascend drills - how many is too many?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still do them at 60'/minute because that was the standard from the 1960s when I started diving until it changed to 30'/minute in the 1990s.

Although the recommended ascent rate is 30 fpm, the padi tables under general rules is to not to exceed 60 fpm on ascent. I believe it is what is better and what will work.

Although the recommended ascent rate is 30 fpm, the padi tables under general rules is to not to exceed 60 fpm on ascent. I believe it I what is better and what will work.
In talking with Karl Shreeves of PADI regarding an article I hoped to write (but abandoned) on ascent procedures for NDL dives, I learned that a 60 FPM ascent rate was the standard at the time the research for the PADI RDP was done, so that was what they aimed for. However, that research found no harm done with slower ascents. Apparently because the PADI research was done with real divers doing real dives, what they really did was ascend "no faster than 60 FPM."

If you think it through, that seems at least a little counterintuitive; in fact, I mistakenly believed about 15 years ago that it was a mistake to follow the RDP and ascend slower than the rate upon which those tables were based. I thought it would invalidate the data. A diligent search of very old threads will find me repeating that misinformation. I now know it is perfectly fine to use the RDP and ascend at 30 FPM, and that is probably a good idea.

The research I did for the abandoned article led me to believe that there is not much good information suggesting an optimal ascent rate, but 30 FPM seems like a pretty good guess.

Although the recommended ascent rate is 30 fpm, the padi tables under general rules is to not to exceed 60 fpm on ascent. I believe it I what is better and what will work.
I wanted to make this point separately. If you take the PADI RDP version of the OW course, you are taught "no faster than 60 FPM." If you take the computer version of the course, it says to ascend at the rate recommended for your computer. For just about any modern computer, that will be 30 FPM..

For other readers: The US Navy's recommended ascent rate was originally not clearly defined, then 25'/min, then 60'/min in the 1950s until the 1990s, and is now 30'/min.

Talking to old-timers, 25'/minute worked more like: look at the second hand on your watch, ascent 25', stop until a minute is complete, and repeat. Surface supplied tenders (the guys that "tend" the diver's umbilical) would have a sense of the rate but it was closer to 30'/min or about 1' every two seconds.

Wonder how many people ascending at 18m/60ft per min found it hard to control as you approach the 5m/18ft stop?

It’s a lot easier going slower.

Wonder how many people ascending at 18m/60ft per min found it hard to control as you approach the 5m/18ft stop?
I find it MUCH easier because the small bubbles that are about the size of pensile eraser heads ascent at about 60FPM. Of course you watch the cloud of bubbles around you and switch to the smaller ones as they expand. I timed it many times on a calibrated downline and was always within a few seconds.

Back when it was the normal ascent rate, there was no safety stop, and in the case of a CESA one will not be doing a stop, so it's a moot point.

When I learned deco and needed to do stops, it was just a matter of slowing and stopping the ascent the same as at 30 fpm. The idea is to maintain neutral buoyancy during the ascent to prevent overshoot. It's a trick, and I learned it.

Hell yeah!

I started bringing a computer this year and have assent alarms recorded on almost every dive, 30fpm seems crazy slow to me.

Back
Top Bottom