S&R at Windy Point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not a lot of details in that article.

Anyone know what the deepest the "official" search teams can dive?

I suppose Austin S&R teams would have a tech team, and they would probably put side scan to use to locate, which helps in down time. We're lucky to find 60 ffw in the mud up here, but then there's plenty of junk on the bottom to contend with.

I suppose Austin S&R teams would have a tech team, and they would probably put side scan to use to locate, which helps in down time. We're lucky to find 60 ffw in the mud up here, but then there's plenty of junk on the bottom to contend with.

lot's of junk in Travis too along with a few overhanging rocks to the South and trees that jump out of you in 6" vis, can't forget about the scary trees

I see it the story was update to Bob Wentz and not Barstow's. That's whole lot of area to cover. Have they found the person yet?

lot's of junk in Travis too along with a few overhanging rocks to the South and trees that jump out of you in 6" vis, can't forget about the scary trees
Yeah, I have enough dives in Travis, Mansfield to Barstows, to know that!

What's so scary about trees? Frank and I love trees.... LOL .... it's those damn trout-lines and barbed-wire fences, which mandate carrying all the assorted cutting devices, that makes me cringe.

I was out with a group from Houston doing a Deep Diver specialty. The owner of Windy Point said there was a church group that was having a friendly competition of who could swim to "Sometimes Island" and one of them did not make it. They didn't realize he was missing for almost an hour when they put the call out. We were around the corner and of course the authorities didn't want any outside help. Lot's of ambulances and police cars showed up. Then a helicopter came and circled around for twenty minutes or so, then dropped a diver in the water. As far as we were told they had not made the recovery that Saturday evening.

and I don't know where anybody got 6 foot of viz. It was at a maximum 3 feet and that was near the surface. The deeper you went the worse it got. My DI called it at 85 feet because we were losing each other and you could see the bottom if you were literally touching it with your lamp, which is no bueno with the super fine silt. I am sure it gets much better there when it rains!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom