S550 question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oleras

Reaction score
hi there, i am new to diving and just bought my first reg..mk25 first stage,plus S550 second and S550 octo.....only thing, cant really tell the difference between the second and the octo.SP catalogue says all octos are bright yellow, mine aint....i think the octo is a light grey, all plastic and the second is a dark grey with a stainless "S" in the middle....would appreciate if a dealer or someone with more knowledge could clear it up for me....thanks.

and it is all light grey and plastic. I don't know what you have with the stainless S on it. It could be an S600. Go to their website and see if you can identify it. My octo is an R190 and it is yellow. The Scuba Pro website only shows R190s and R380s as octos with the yellow covers.

Juls

thanks for the reply....both regs say "s550".....but as i said earlier look diffrent on the front covers...only difference i can see externally...just wondering if it is last years model of both ? ? just guessing.....more info-the light grey one says "viva-max-min" and the one with the stainless s says "predive and dive on the diver adjustable knob on the side......

why do you care? besides the coloring there would be no difference between the two second stages if they are both s550. a 550 octo is not a lesser 550. you just get the different color and no first stage.

actually...there is a difference between second stages and octos........s550 octo does not have thermal insulating system, externally adjustable intermediate pressure nor peak performance air balancing system...(from the catalogue, not me..lol)...but hey...i went to register the unit on the scubapro site and guess what ? ? the first and second have the same serial numbers.....sorted.....but still wondering why the octo isnt yellow......in the catalogue it is, maybe last years model......

learn something new every day. you may want to take it on an ice dive. the one that feezes is the octo :wink:

ouch....LOL....maybe i should check it here....its cold enough!!! HE HE HE:wink:

The one with the dive/predive sounds like an older model to me. There isn't an "octo" version of the s550. All S550s have the same design and features. If its not air-balanced and doesn't have the diver adjustable inhalation knob, its not an s550. Its more likely an r380 with the wrong diaphragm cover, if thats possible. Do you have a picture of them?

here is a pic, hope it works....quality is not the best, had to be a small file, but both regs say "s550"

Hmmmm......the S550 i used to own looked like the one on the right with the silver color face. I purchased mine when they first came out so i would say the one on the left isnt an older model. Maybe its a newer model. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom