s600/Mk25 regulator.. which octopus to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the same second stages paired on the first stage for primary and backup sets. I'm usually breathing off the long hose and that would be the one to donate. Both are held in place around my neck on a bungee loop and ether one can be easily pulled loose from the bungee.. rather than try to get it off over my head in an "emergency". I use MK25 and S600 (a pair) and my backup reg is MK25 and G250V (a Pair). I swap them around from time to time to check them out. Who wants to breath off a sucky second stage? AND by having the same (MFG) first and same (MFG/Model) second stages, I only have to carry one parts kit for field repairs or I can cannibalize if it becomes necessary. The S600 and G250 use the same parts. Same goes for all your tanks... Pick a valve and stick with it.

Whoa you must be loaded or really love diving
icosm14.gif

I wish I was loaded... Then I could buy more dive equipment:D. I basically got tired of constantly rearranging my configurations. Each set has a reason..... Recreational, Sidemount, Technical (deco, cave & stage), Rebreather.... so on.

Thanks, I'll try the Miflex to see if it causes much rubbing. When divers speak about long hoses, are they referring to the octopus hose or is this purely tech diving talk? Is the "long hose" for tech diving much longer than an octopus hose?

PS: your fb link in your sig isn't working.

Long hoses usually refers to a 7 ft primary regulator hose, used for single file egress from an overhead environment. In technical diving (back mounted cylinders) the primary regulator on the 7 ft hose is used for donation in an out of air situation. The donor diver goes to their secondary (back- up) regulator that is typically on a shorter hose on a bungee necklace under the chin. On back mounted double cylinders, the primary 7 ft hose regulator comes off of the right side cylinder valve, down the diver's side, usually under a knife or light battery or such, up across the chest to the left shoulder, behind the neck, around to the right side of the head, to the mouth.. The secondary regulator on the shorter hose comes off the left valve, behind the diver's neck to the right side & is held in place by the bungee necklace.

Fixed the FB link, thanks for the "head's up".

Ha I saw guys on my last trip with masks on their heads backwards on the way to the dive site. These guys were also wearing Jetfins and I want to be like them one day. Yeah the black and titanium s600 models look great but I don't think there's much difference functionality wise. Simon, what are you using as an alternate for your s600?.

I really cant remember, I'd have to have a look when I'm home. Sometimes I use the AIR2 (see my other threads) But the alternate I have for the MK25 is just a decent scubapro second stage I got when I bought it. I pretty much trust that all Scubapro stuff function pretty well (having done the course to take them apart and put them back together again!... although wont service my own gear or anyone elses... I am no where near good enough for that
)

Back
Top Bottom