S95 + Fix recsea housing + extra lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ripseven

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I'm french and the new owner of a S95 camera.

I also bought a Recsea housing and some lenses and because I had many questions before buying this configuration I hope I can help others.

I'd like to show you some photos but I need 5 posts to post URL :coffee:

Last edited:
I have the UWL-04 fisheye lens : no vignetting at 28mm

I have also the macro dyron UCL-67II

Bonjour ripseven, How do you like the housing and are you using an external strobe?

Your questions are answered here:

View topic - The Great Summer 2010 Wet Lens Shoot Out!|Underwater Photography Guide

The RecSea90 housing is the same as the FIX90 but with an improved rear control layout. I think it is a better choice for the S95 possibly than the somewhat odd and new FIX95 housing. I think you did good purchasing it and good luck with it.

I would get the 52mm screw-on adapter and the Fisheye UWL-04 lens starting fresh.

James

Hi Nemrod,

That's mainfully with the information you provided about the S90, and housings, and the extra lenses that I managed to buy this configuration.
>> so I must thank you

At this point, I also have the required adaptaters for my two lenses.

And, because it's not really easy sometimes to understand which adaptaters is needed, I created this post to show some pics of my configuration.

Except I need 5 total posts to add URLs :coffee:

@surf4life : yes I have one external strobe : Inon D2000 (that I was previously using with a panasonic TZ5)

I currently didn't have tested the configuration but I'm into it.

I should test it this week in order to prepare my Indonesia trip in 2 weeks (north of Manado : Bunaken, Lembeh and Bangka)

Hi Nemrod,

That's mainfully with the information you provided about the S90, and housings, and the extra lenses that I managed to buy this configuration.
>> so I must thank you

At this point, I also have the required adaptaters for my two lenses.

And, because it's not really easy sometimes to understand which adaptaters is needed, I created this post to show some pics of my configuration.

Except I need 5 total posts to add URLs :coffee:

really interested in your comments on your new kit and seeing the pics, as im still deciding on what housing to get [canon or redsec] my choice is with what you purchased but my funds are really with the canon :depressed: where did you buy it from

really interested in your comments on your new kit and seeing the pics, as im still deciding on what housing to get [canon or redsec] my choice is with what you purchased but my funds are really with the canon :depressed: where did you buy it from

I bought it on a french website Plongimage (Plongimage - Plongimage - photographie sous-marine : caissons étanches, flash, accessoires...), the contact is Hubert, a very patient and helpfull man.

Concerning the housing, it really depends on what you want to do :
- "easy" photography (without extra lenses, with or without an externat strobe, with the minimum manual use : AV mode for example, not beyond 40m depth) : Canon housing
- advanced photography (with extra lenses, with an external strobe, with full manual use : M or C mode) : Recsea housing

For easy photography with no external strobe, I would maybe recommend the Canon housing over the Ikelite housing.
Because smaller the housing, better the internal flash works with the diffuser.
I didn't see the canon housing, but I suppose it is smaller than the Ikelite.
I'm pretty sure that the Ikelite (I had one for the S95), on macro photos, offers half dark result due to his pretty big porthole.

On the recsea housing, all the buttons and wheels are easily accessible, and the feeling is very great.
At firt, I had the ikelite housing for the S95 but as I wanted to buy extra lenses and to use the rear wheel on full manual, I sold it to a friend.
I can tell that the buttons on the Recsea are softer.

I'm going to post some photos of my configuration.

First, the Recsea housing from different angles.
I didn't remove yet the protection plastic sheets.

Front view
img0480resize.jpg

Back view
img0492resize.jpg

Another front view where you can see the little additionnal (and pretty expensive) black plastic that hide perfectly the flash for an external strobe use (Plongimage - Obturateur de flash Seatool)
img0494resize.jpg

Top view
img0496resize.jpg

Underneath view
img0498resizet.jpg

Right side view
img0499resize.jpg

Left side view
img0500resize.jpg

Last edited:
The configuration with the Macro Dyron lens UCL-67II

My vendor sent me (for free) the required adaptater which is not supplied by default in the Macro kit or with the Recsea housing.

I believe this adaptater is 52mm female - 67mm female

The configuration :
img0481resize.jpg

The configuration 'mounted' :
img0482resize.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom